+ Reply to Thread
    SMH
    Thanks

Default Keeping shrimp in tanks

Gday All,

Ok trying to keep some freshwater shrimp alive in my fish tank and was just wondering if anyone else has been doing this and if so what some of the Pro`s & Cons are as I have only ever kept them short time. these ones are destined to remain a permanent fixture at home.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve SMH Angling Solutions

Fullboar is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks

Steve are you talking about shrimp in big numbers or just a few like 10 or so.

If it's in high numbers, you'll need to get a big ass filter as shrimp produce very high ammonia levels in a short time after feeding. One way of keeping them in high numbers is to have a tank that holds alot of water (1000lt) and a good filter. Keep them out of the sun light by the use of hides and keep the feed small but often.

I've only keep the smaller of the shimps live what we have down this way. Your shrimps get alot bigger and they also ump out more ammonia.

If it's only small numbers, you need to give them good hides. Keep the water around 18'C to 20'C. Oh, take out the Cod, that way they may last longer.

Scott

rene_bell
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Hi Smh ,as always scott is on the ball and has given you some of the best tips for keeping shrimp,i have never done this personally but my father in law has ,he keeps about 100 or so in a fish tank on his back veranda in the shade of course,he says not to add to much different waters to the tank as this can kill the shrip quickly,he also adds ice cubes during summer why i dont know but they seem to like it ,he feeds them on grated carrot.
    these are the only things i know about them but they seem to live for a long time,so if it helps cheers

jason
    <*(((><

SMH
    Thanks

Thanks Guys,

I have about 60 odd for short term keeping and about another dozen in a separate tank for long term keeping that all have eggs at present, I did notice that it didnt take long for 60 shrimp in a 1.8 metre tank to discolour the water and alter the ph levels.

Thanks for the helpfull hints once again.

Steve SMH Angling Solutions

Native_Caster
    Thanks

When i lived at home i kept shrimp for a few months at a time when i was a kid. I got a 20liter bucket with an areator changed the water often. The trick i found was to get a heap of the mossy roots in the water from underneath willow trees on the edge of water. The seemed to live quite well. Had around 100 shrimp kept at a time.

cheers

Stephen