+ Reply to Thread
    Marc

Default Tropical Fish Water Temperature

Just curious what temp you all keep your tropical fish at.

I've played around from 20 degrees C to 30 degrees C. The water has been holding temperature at 26.7 degrees C of recent months and that seems to be a stable temperature.

I've noticed too cold and the fish all slow down, too hot (close to 30 degrees C) and they become erratic.

bread
    Thanks

hey marc
    I keep mine tropicals at around 23 / 24 degrees and they breed like rabbits .
    And limit your playing with the water ph .
    I dont touch it and they are fine the more you play with it the more likely you are to mess it up . Also depends on what fish you have . I have live bearers such as guppies platties etc . good fish to start with if this is your first time setting up a big tank . Give me a yell marc and Ill come round and have a look . Im in sunbury so not far

Marc

I've had it set up for a good 6-7 months now, with pretty good success (no fish kills except for the recent move). But I was just curious as to others temperatures, but yeah as you say the species will determine different best temperatures as well.

You're welcome anytime bread. I think I have some stickers to mail to you don't I? You can come around and kill two birds with one stone if you want?

chris55
    Thanks

Hi Marc
    It depends on the fish you are keeping, so what have you got :)

Standard rule of thumb is 22-26 deg but fish such as Discus require 28-32 deg

Chris

Marc

Well after the recent departure of some fish I am left with:

Salmon Catfish
    Blueline Sharks (Catfish)
    Silver Dollars
    Clown Loach
    Gourami's
    Gold Severums

chris55
    Thanks

Hi Marc
    OK from the list you give me I would be looking at 26-28 deg
    The only fish I think may give you trouble is the salmon tail cat as these guys like salt and should be kept in brackish water with an alkaline pH other wise they can tend to develop white spot or lessions but if yours is going fine now it should continue to do so
    the fish are a mix of Asiatic and Sth Americans that like similar water conditions with a 6.8 - 7.0 pH as the best parameter but ranging from 6.2 - 7.3 would be acceptable to them as a guide
    A weekly partial water change (50-100 litre) of buffered pre conditioned water will help keep it more stable
    Do you have any drums that you pre condition the water for changes
    Find a good aquarium but seeing as your in Sunbury you don't have that much choice unless you like to have a drive
    Sorry I don't know your local guy but I can recommend Hi Fin at Syndal

Chris