+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mornington Pier

SMH
    Thanks

Default Mornington Pier

Gday All,

A few of my workmates are contemplating fishing off mornington pier soon and as having never fished there I have a few questions for anyone that knows the answers.

Q 1. Is the pier a large or small pier

Q 2. Is there a particular location on the pier that produces better than others, ie: better access to deeper water etc.

Q 3. At what time of year do the snapper turn up off the pier and are gummy sharks or any other type of shark a reasonable chance off this pier when fishing at night .

Any constructive replies would be greatly appreciated.

Steve SMH Angling Solutions

flickstick
    Thanks

Well its a big pier but still its usually pretty hard to get a spot, espeaciall durining school holidays. Any where on the out side of the pier or the rocks at the start of the pier produce snapper mainly during a big blow. Its a long way down to the water from the pier so a net with a long handle would be a help.

I'd give it a miss at the moment, with the holidays on it will be chaos down there unless you can get there really early. Maybe go a little further down to the rocks a MtMartha, or wait 2 weeks and get there mid week during a big blow for the best chances.

Cheers
    Scott
    Just one more cast, just one more cast, just one more cast, just one more cast, just one more cast, just one more cast..............

SMH
    Thanks

Scott,

Thanks for the reply, we are contemplating fishing all through the night so hopefully that should eliminate the tourist factor a bit.

flickstick
    Thanks

No worries steve,

I was in a bit of a hurry on the first post so kept it short. Make sure you take some small metal lures and steel trace as there are usually a few little couta around particullarly on the inside of the pier and a few squid jigs as they are usually around too. Take the smallest jigs you have as the squid are small but are top bait.

Good Luck
    Scott
    Just one more cast, just one more cast, just one more cast, just one more cast, just one more cast, just one more cast..............

SMH
    Thanks

Thanks again Scott,

Planning on taking abit of everything and fishing the whole night at this stage, hopefully this wind we are having helps move a few things around and brings a few early season snapper in close.

flickstick
    Thanks

Just checked the BOM and there are 20-30 knot winds predicted for the next few days, should be rough as guts down there. The water temp is just about right too. I might head down for a crack at an early season fish too. Its like every thing is falling into place nicely. As big Kev says: I'm excited!!

Marc

No update on how you went Steve?

SMH
    Thanks

Update as follows.

Arrived Thursday evening at 9pm, were some anglers catching small couta at the start of the pier in between the moored boats, most people were using small laser type lures for the couta. We set up towards the end of the pier and fished using squid, pilchard and silver whiting. Five minutes after putting the rods in Shaun had a great hit on a pillie bait that then hammered it a secound time and was on for about 30 secounds before spitting the hook, at this point even though the wind was howling and waves were beginning to splash over the pier we thought we would be in for a great night...WRONG ! For the next 6 hrs the wind got stronger and we couldnt lose a bait except to some starfish and I found a Seahorse in amoungst a great clump of weed that i pulled in. So all in all another fruitless trip allthough at least now I know where it is etc etc and shall return again soon for another attempt.

So how about your planned Elmore trip update Marc ??

Fishlittle
    Thanks

Steve you are heading down here next let me know as I will come and keep you company on the pier or if the weather is good I will talk Johnny into taking you out in his boat, another option for you Steve is to bring your tinny down and fish out from St Kilda during the afternoon or evening you will be suprised how calm it is and how good the fishing is.
    Cheers Dave

SMH
    Thanks

Dave,

Thanks for that m8, shall let you know when next am down that way. With this damn drought may soon have more weekends off.