+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Preserving Beach Worms

Bazz
    Thanks

Default Preserving Beach Worms

G'day thrillseekers.

After much trial and error, I've finally reached the point where I can catch beach worms in most conditions, and I'm pretty pleased with myself. Fresh worms are fantastic bait in the surf, particularly for my #1 target, whiting, but I was wondering if anyone has had any success with preserved beach worms, and what method they've used for the preservation process?

I'd be grateful for any feedback. Thanks.

Bazz

fillets
    Thanks

yup , Worms R Great Bait, Hum, Can B Salted + Frozen Works Good Me's Think's Imo...
    fishing,, time out from the real world and the TOOL'S:)

BackInBlack
    Thanks

Originally posted by Bazz;26473
    G'day thrillseekers.

what method they've used for the preservation process

Bazz
    hi Bazz, beach worms can be red hot sometimes. when i get fresh worms from my local he keeps them in fresh sea water tank and sells them like fish in a bag full of sea water (they last 6hrs). however every where else that Ive bought them theyre sold in wet, not dripping, sand wrapped in paper. my understanding is that the worms last longer in the sand (mine last 48hrs), and alive unused worms should be returned to the sand/beach they come from. ive read that you can freeze your worms to as fillets pointed out. when im stuck i use frozen worms.

if i was going to keep worms at home i would simulate the natural environment. keeping water, sand, and worms from where i caught them. simulating tide wouldnt be that hard, and feedings a sinch. i love those big plastic bins, so i would get a bin, slice through it at an obtuse angle. then place the bin/tank (made of choice material) at a lean. i could make a wooden cradle to support the bin or maybe large concrete bricks. i would 2/3 fill the bin with the wet sand. then add the sea water so that the sand was just off being water logged. then add the worms.

at the bottom of bin i would put a valve and connect to a pump & filtration which would tricle the water back down the top/front of the bin.

this where i would regulate the water as tidal flow by increasing the amount of water in the tank and later decreasing

every so many days you might have to replace sand if it fouls up i would think (not to mention checking water condition etc)

this would keep the worms for longer, probably not permanently

i would imagine - that is im talking off the top of my head
    (or out of my $%&)

*fyi - in nsw its not legal to remove sand from the beach i think, so i better check on that one

anyone else got a clue how to go about this?
    There are two kinds of fool. One says, 'This is old, and therefore good.' And one says, 'This is new, and therefore better.' Dean Inge

fillets
    Thanks

you said it, imo
    fishing,, time out from the real world and the TOOL'S:)

tex
    Thanks

G'day Bazz,

Welcome to the wonderful world of beach worming, it's just as much fun as catching fish I reckon.
    Worms are a dead set gun bait for heaps of species around here.
    I can keep them alive in a tank for a maximum of 10-12 days, you need to change the sea water every two days.
    Another trick is to put frozen water bottles in the tank, this will reduce the temperature and basically put your worms to sleep, when they're dosile they dont wriggle and in turn they don't break apart.
    As for long term worm baits, the best method is to lay your worms on some absorbent paper, pat them dry then dunk them in methylated sprits for about ten seconds, then simply bag them & freeze.( Some ppl put sand in the bags too)
    Metho'd worms are an awesome bait for Beach Jews & plenty of other fish.

Hope this helps,

Craig
    :p He who dies with the most rods wins!!! :p
    www.tackleexpress.com.au

imaplebian
    Thanks

IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR WORMS FOR A LONGER PERIOD PREPARE THEM BY KILLING THEM IN METHO THEN PIN THEM TO A BOARD THEN DRY THEM OUT IN THE SHADE IN A NICE BREEZY SPOT. THEY WILL KEEP FOR MANY MONTHS YOU JUST HAVE TO SOAK THEM FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS IN SEA WATER BEFORE YOU USE THEM.DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE ARE AT LEAST THREE TYPES OF WORMS YOU CAN CATCH ON THE BEACH ?1. BEACH WORMS- PROBABLY THE TYPE YOU ARE CATCHING THEY ARE SHORTER AND HARDER TO PULL OUT THE SAND. 2. SLIMEY WORMS THINNER -LONGER HAVE A MORE SLIMEY FEEL USUALLY COME OUT OF THE SAND FAIRLY EASY. 3. WHITE SQUIRT WORMS -YOU HAVE TO DIG THESE OUT THEY ARE ABOUT 75-100 MM LONG FOUND IN THE DAMP SAND AS THE NAME IMPLYS THEY ARE WHITE AND HAVE A PRETTY STRONG BITE IF YOU LET THEM GET HOLD OF YOU MUCH TOO MUCH WORK DIGGING THEM OUT SO THEY ARE RARELY USED BUT FLATHEAD AND WHITING LOVE THEM.

fullblown is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Hi, my family and I have been using preserved beach worms for many years now mainly to catch winter whiting although the other day I caught some nice summer whiting with them. We soak the worms in a mixture of 50/50 metho and saltwater for 10-15 mins then dry them on paper towel and then pack them in ziplock bags (the amount you might use in a session) We find that we use them straight from the bag as the fish don't seem to mind the metho aftertaste. You will find the last 1/3 of the worm useless (soft and mushy) but first 2/3 great and another thing as long as you don't leave the bag of worms in the sun or get too hot you can pop them back in the freezer and get another session out of them. Cheers.