1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

a few more done

Discussion in 'The Hall of Shame' started by Got Buckley's, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    heres a bit of info from the "Recreational Fishing Alliance of NSW august 09 newsletter". Im sure alot of you have already read it, but for those that havent, here you go.

Heavy fines for Illegal fishing
    Three men have been charged with illegal fishing and abusing a fisheries officer and been fined a combined total of more than $16,000. NSW DPI Fisheries Officers from Batemans Bay conducted a search of a licensed fishing boat in Ulladulla harbour. The offenders were apprehended and charged with a range of offences, including unlawful use of traps, possession of fish taken illegally, possession of fish taken in contravention of a closure and unlicensed fishing.

Two men are facing individual fines totalling up to $140,000 for allegedly using illegal fishing gear in the waters of the Bermagui River Recreational Fishing Haven. DPI Fisheries Officers apprehended the men who were allegedly using a fish trap for the purposes of collecting bait for a commercial fishing business. The fishing trap was found to contain a total of 62 silver trevally of which 42 were of prohibited size, and 3 luderick, all of a prohibited size.

A repeat abalone offender has been sentenced to two months imprisonment and fined $2000 for illegal abalone fishing on the South Coast. When fisheries officers stopped the man, 202 shucked blacklip abalone, were found. The possession limit for recreational fishers in waters open to the taking of abalone in NSW is two per person."

And those that run the show ( in NSW ) are looking at bringing in a few changes to fishing laws (Thats if the bill passes) So if your up for a pretty details read, check this link out

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/nswbills.nsf/131a07fa4b8a041cca256e610012de17/2790227ff69c1bedca2575df0019c3e8!OpenDocument

I know theres a few of us on this site that will be happy to learn about items (a) & (b) on the bill :)

(a) to increase penalties for certain fisheries offences,
    (b) to establish higher penalties for certain second or subsequent offences and for certain offences committed in circumstances of aggravation,

cheers

2. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009
    Thats a good catch ( pardon the pun ) Throw the book at em.

3. virty

virty New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    People are getting caught and fined but still dosen't seem to work. Co4k suckers!

4. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    There are so many people doing it the fisheries would need a lot more people to catch them.I was having a discusion with a work mate about this.He said he has heard of blokes who dont let anything go.They need to be caught.

5. ntvinh986

ntvinh986 New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks you for the post.

6. DT

DT New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    HOW TRUE THERE WHARF
    they only have 1 fisheries officer patrolling 160 klms of coastline here from kingston to the murray mouth he got a lot of ground to cover not to mention you got both sides of the coorong aswell

7. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    You have some top spots over in south aust.Im a crow eater too mate.Born in elizabeth,dont hold that against me hahahaha.Can you still camp at spots like mannum and morgan?When i was young we would spend xmas at either morgan or mannum.Paddle steamers would cruise past.Ive still got relatives all over S.A,i must make time to get back home for some coast fishing.My old man used to study spiders.And one of our favourite trips was to cruise around the mangroves of port gawler at night fishing and looking at all the different types of spiders.Crabbing at st kilda or port gawler on the sand flats.You could walk for a mile in knee deep water with a rake and heshion sack catching blue swimmers.Are you still allowed to do this?