1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

A weeks break in the glorious high country.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Madfisher, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Sal and I just spent and eventfull week camped at Tantangra dam on the upper Murrumbidgee river. This area is alpine, and you need winter clothes and summer clothes regardless of the time of your visit. It sits at over 1250m, quite a bit higher then Euc and very pretty.
    We arrived on tueday about midday after a 6 hour drive from Bathurst and took along my 4.3 Bermuda deluxe tiller, mainly for transport.
    We had and early dinner and was on the water about 6.30pm. I put on a brown woolly buggar in brown and fished a shallow bay that's normally productive. About 7.30 I came up tight on a small 30cm brown, then only got a couple of light touches for the rest of the night.
    I was thinking the whole of the snowy must be shut down, but picked up a nice 38cm brown next morning from Nungar bay, which made for a tasty lunch.
    Fishing gradually improved over the week, highlights being using a 4wt one morning off a pile of rocks and letting the fly get well down I got a good hit. Next cast another missed take, next cast a nice 40cm bow follows it up. Cast out again and the fly gets smashed, and a 5lb plus brown flies out of the water, unfortunelty a 4wt and a 5lb brown determined to get6 into cover at my feet is no match.
    Another night we had fished the bay over the hill, and on returning to camp I decided to fish a fav bay close to camp with my 5wt. Cast out a few times from the outside corner, then decided to move up a bit so I simply cast out and walked towards the top of the bay . Stopped and went to pick the rod up to recast but I was snagged, then it started moving sideways, turned out to be a nice 58cm 4.5lb brown. Mmmn not to sure I can take much credit for that one.
    The very best day I picked up a nice fat little brown fishing a small weighted woolly buggar along a moderate sloping bank with a nice slop on it. That night I went up nd braved the bloody stallions guarding their mares and was rewarded with five nice fish with a best of 50cm. Letting a fat 45cm go as I was over my limit was hard.
    The next night sal fished the home bay just on dark and was rewarded with a fat and very beautiful 51cm brown .
    Then disaster struck very early Sunday morning, gale force winds from the north. Sal checked the boat at first light and it had moved around side on and was starting to pull the peg out, and was full of water to the extend it was flowing out over the transom. I turned the bilge pump on but it only seemed to be working at half stream.( later found a stray piece of plastic around it) then tried to undo the bungs, but they where wedged so hard into the mud it was impossible. Mid arvo the toilet tent, and the shower tent had been destroyed, but our main tent a quality Oz trail cabin was surviving with extra ropes with springs for give on them.
    About 3pm the wind had changed direction to the west more, and the waves had reduced in size. MY very clever wife suggested we tie our 2m long drogue from one back corner of the boat around the motor to the other corner.This drastically reduced how much water was getting splashed into the boat.
    WE had bailed out heaps of water using two large washing up bowls plus I had cleared the bilge. The drogue worked well and we got most of the water out, with further attention to the bilge pump clearing it ofr rubbish etc.
    We did learn one new and important lesson, we had gone into a favoured bay and noticed huge amounts of fish on the sounder, like crazy amounts. We decided to drift back out ,and fish in front of the boat.The sounder screen was very dark, only on the top 12 feet of water, I put it down to to much sensitivity at the time. Then Sal and I both scored nice fat bows in the mid to high 30s in 20 to 25 feet of water on floating fly lines and just a heavy bead fly on the point. ON cleaning the bows they where full of water fleas or daphnia,then the penny dropped why the top 12 feet of water was showing dark, and why the bows where close to the surface. Another important lesson learned for next time.
    Cheers Pete

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    DeeBeeKay, Deanro, diesel and 3 others like this.
  2. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Excellent report Pete on what sounds like a pretty eventful and rewarding trip. Very brave you and Sal staying out there in Sundays weather. I almost got blown off the road on the way back from the farm at Taralga.

Chook

creekboy, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  3. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Good report madfisher , that wind can be a buggar up the snowies. Those stallions are something to keep your distance from did u hear or see any wild dogs? I used to see a few up there.
    cheers

4. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Weather had calmed down in the evening mate, but the fish where still off the bite.

Hen and Chook, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  5. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    No wild dogs mate, but people do not realise what a threat those blxxdy stallions are, and they like to graze where we4 like to fly fish.
    Cheers Pete

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  6. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    They sure are bud,i walked over a hill to get to the upper bidgee and a stallion whith its mares arced up and came at me from hundreds of meters away, I was thinking of all dangerous things ive done (dirt bike racing etc) a stupid horse in the middle of nowhere is going to take me out,luckily it pulled up about 10 meters away, maybe it realised I'm not attracted to its mares, weeelll a couple of em looked alright. had 3 wild dogs follow me to my tent one foggy night more wary of them than horses, parks and wildlife was dropping baits a while back seems to have thinned them out.
    cheers blair

creekboy, kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  7. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Blair actually Sally commented she did not hear any dogs this time. Sneaky buggars those dogs. Off subjest mate, but my biggest bow, and biggest brown both came from lake Wallace, or Wang as the locals use to call it. Damm redfin and pollution have beggared it now.
    Cheers Pete

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    breaks your heart seeing good fishing water go bad, a lot bounce back luckily, I am hoping lake liddel is going to open to fishing again good fun on the carp there.
    cheers

9. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Never got to fish it for carp, I have heard they are in blowering now, should be good fun in that clear water.

kev209 and creekboy like this.