1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Abu Garcia Revo SX Spin Fishing Reel + Fins Evolve Braid

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Bluefin, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Had a chance to use these on a G loomis rod for 5 hours last friday on a charter. The rod was an old version, nice , cast well, but I prefer Samaki Extreme. It's lighter. The abu reel was nice, smooth, cast well, no complaints. Light !!. No different to my Stradic ci4+. Fins Evolve , 5 lb.
    I LIKE IT!! No bunching up like 40G, very smooth, cast a mile. A little thick for 5 lb like 40G. But it didn't seem to matter, Probably breaks well over 15 lb !! No wind knots or tangles. Im impressed !! Howard.

2. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Nice mate I am a fan of the ABU Revo reels, some of my mates use them but I still stick to my Shimano Stradic and Symetre reels get good bang for the buck and considering the small amount of time I get to use them these days I cannot justify changing brands and models.

Years ago I was a big fan of the Okuma Flame and later the Trio reels and the Baitfeeder reels like the Epix and Eclipz high speed jigging reels- I had one of every model and size and loved them- the lifetime warranty was a big bonus for me if I happened to break anything... But after getting a few of their mid range reels in sizes 20/30/40 they werent much good I gave a 30 and a 40 to the kids to muck around on and the rest got given to my mates who still use them. Back then some of my other mates were using Shimano Sedona and Stradic reels in the smaller stuff and big Baitrunners for the jews and Stella for the kings and pelagics like Tuna and Marlin. I found some good deals on the Stradic and Symetre reels and I changed over all my reels to Shimano after that. Now all my collection is Shimano in spin and I have a nice collection of Swedish ABU overheads and baitcasters along with a few TLD's and the odd Penn and Daiwa Sealine. Then I got my trusty 2 X Alveys which dont ever get used but they sit on some old Snyder Glas and Butterworth rods and I doubt I will ever get rid of them, but you never know Ive been toying with the idea of the MT8144 abd 650C5 with 20lb mono for the greenback taylor and Salmon run this year which should be coming up in the next few weeks and stick around until late winter.

I havent tried the Fins Evolve braid, years ago I was a big fan of the PRT and then I moved to the Wind Tamer and I was really disappointed in it, got more wind knots than I ever did with Berkley Fireline and Spiderwire.... Now I am using Rovex braid and I reckon its pretty good compared to much more expensive braids and breaks well above rated so cannot complain overall. Ive heard good things about Platypus braid from some of my mates who spin for taylor and kings up the nth coast around SWR and Coffs Hbr so that might be my next move if I ever get sick of the Rovex that I am currently using, and I am pretty much due to respool a few of my baitrunners over winter so I might have a look around and see what compares.

Good to see a real review of a combo and line here... I guess we are creatures of habit (I know I am) and I dont change unless I have to but change is good

:)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Rod Bender, diesel, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    What do you mean by 'bunching up'?
    cheers
    Jim

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Funny you should say that Anthony. When I was shopping for a new reel in Rockhampton last week, the salesman was trying his hardest to sell me a Daiwa, but I told him that I was a creature of habit and will only buy Shimano or Penn and on rare occasions I will buy ABU. He asked why and I told him that it was like Toyota vs Nissan or Holden vs Ford, I mainly stick with the brand that I have been using for years and have had a good run. I do not doubt that Daiwa reels are far better than those that I owned decades ago, but old habits are hard to kick.

Jeff

reelaxation, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.