1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

advice needed for decent fishing locations

Discussion in 'Regional Areas' started by rusty01, Jan 9, 2010.

1. rusty01

rusty01 New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    hi,there. i am an old hand at the coastal saltwater fishing scene. however i am currently residing near cowra[central west] new south wales. i am looking for worthwile fishing locations and any advice or hints that could be of use would be greatly appreciated... thanks,,rusty!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

2. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Lachlan river or wyangala dam if either of them have any water in them.Im not a local so dont know current conditions.

3. Brownie

Brownie New Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Wyangla is still low but is fishing well at the moment.Brownie

4. rusty01

rusty01 New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    top lachlan spots

hi wharf,thanks for the heads up,any advice on what areas of the lachlan are best???????:wacko:

5. rusty01

rusty01 New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    hi brownie,thanks for the reply. would you know a good land based spot at wyangala??? and is there anything other than worms and yabby tails that we can use for bait??? cheers!!!

6. jezza

jezza New Member

Aug 6, 2009
    hey rusty,
    I have fished an area a few times called mt mcdonald about a 15min drive from the dam wall heading towards woodstock. Last time i was there you avoided the park fees. There is plenty of water acess and you can drive right to the water. In previous seasons when yabbies are hard to get hold of we have used prawns for bait the look almost exaclty the same as freshwater shrimp and we have done quite well on them.
    good luck with it.
    Jezza

7. Brownie

Brownie New Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Anywhere around the dam is reasonable from the bank below mt M'cdonald is probably the easiest to access like Jezza said. Cheese, shrimp, green prawns worms and yabs are the go, my friend landed 9 yellas there on worms about two weeks ago.Cheers Brownie

8. rusty01

rusty01 New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    hi, jezza. thanks for the tip,il give it a shot. I was recently told about a spot near gooloogong, do you know if this part of the lachlan is any good???? CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  9. rusty01

rusty01 New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    thanks brownie,il give it a go,how and where do you catch these shrimp?????????????

10. jezza

jezza New Member

Aug 6, 2009
    the river around there area does hold good fish but its like going into anywhere for the first time you need to explore for yourself and work out which areas are worth skipping and which are worth spending a little extra time in, i have also fished the river further downstream and the river changes dramaticly, around cowra its maily sand and generally quite shallow, down around that area it slows and is heavily timbered which is perfect for natives, but acess is limited to a few reserves at the time i was lucky enough to be allowed on privite property and the river was magic, thanks to others leaving the area covered with rubbish and beer bottles the owner no longer allows acess to the river through his property, a sad but all to familular story, people just take these things for granted.

11. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Shrimp trap and some sunlight soap buddy.

12. rusty01

rusty01 New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    hi jezza &thanks again. il go have a look see on friday. il let yuz know how we went. i am also a sporting shooter and i know only too well what your saying. its a sad state of affairs when people cant do the right thing. cheers!!!!!!!!!!