1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Anyone here eat European carp?

Discussion in 'Preparation & Cooking' started by Quaker, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Quaker

Quaker New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    I've eatem them on numerous occasions & have to say there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.....As long as they're a decent size. All the ones I've cooked have been ~ 24" long.
    Take a carp, scale it, gut, behead & de-tail it, then soak the cleaned carcas in salt water overnight. Rinse it & wrap it in foil with some butter, tomatoes, lemon slices, salt & pepper.(& onions if you like) Bake it in the oven, & when it's cooked, you should be able to pull the whole skeleton out with the backbone leaving nothing but juicy flesh.
    Anyone else tried them?

2. Sparkesy2

Sparkesy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    That sounds delicious but I've never tried European Carp.

If you lived closer, I would certainly come around for dinner one evening!

Keep those recipes coming.

3. Studley

Studley New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    good recipe
    I think salting it is the secret to getting a good feed from a Carp.

That recipe would work with any fish. Might be best with bigger fish as it would be a lot of mucking around to do gar that way but would be beaut on anyones favourite

Studley

4. Adam Bosley

Adam Bosley New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    I have never tried carp before and can't say I am going to anytime soon.

But the way I got told to cook them is to get a big pot. Fill with water and bring to boil. Then you get your carp and throw it in with a big rock. Let boil for 1/2 an hour and then eat the rock! LOL

5. Quaker

Quaker New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    :rolleyes: , very funny.

6. Cliff

Cliff New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    If you do a google search for Carp Recipies there is heeps of them. But I still would not eat them.

7. Quaker

Quaker New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Why not?

8. Cliff

Cliff New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    @Quaker
    Because most of the carp I have ever caught, I would not eat anything that comes out of those waters. Eg. Torrens. I supose if I caught one in nice clean waters then I may give it a try.

9. Quaker

Quaker New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    That's the idea of soaking it in salt water. It cleans the flesh & adds a bit of flavour. I find most freshwater fish bland if they are not given the salt treatment.

10. Fullboar

Fullboar New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    1/2 an hour is way to long

11. Studley

Studley New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Last time I saw that recipe it was for Rabbit or maybe Emu, could have been Hare. Might have done the rounds on all of them

Studley

12. John Dory

John Dory New Member

Dec 8, 2006
    we have a chinese lady up the road who saw me with a carp i had caught.....it was close on 5kg,and i was going to bury it amongst my roses.
    she took it from me,and she made these really wicked patties from it......no,it wasn't that spicy you couldn't taste the fish,but was still a reasonably strong fish taste.
    if only my chinese was better,i could put the recipe up......lol

13. fisherman347

fisherman347 Active Member

Sep 4, 2006
    hi guy's last time i heard that one was referring to Mountain Duck,cheer's Greg....

14. kush12

kush12 New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    nothing wrong with carp

a few years ago when we last had high water my mates river block was under water,well when it dryed up the last big muddle and i say mud hole there was 6 carp in it 60 to 70 cm. what a bloody wrist i,ll give those a go so i blooded them cleaned and filleted heavy blood line.at home good wash in clean water and cooked up a bit in the frying pan as per normal.now it,s taste test time what a surprise no mud taste and no bones just a bloody nice bit of fish.redfin are on the outlaw list to and nobody leaves them on the bank.

15. Hooked Grasshopper

Hooked Grasshopper New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Have eaten large carp a few times (5-6 times),they should be bled+gutted straight away then left in salty water for a few hours then stuff with a stuffing mix consisting of bread, bacon, onion, pepper+salt,butter and plenty of lemon zest/juice,then wrap in alfoil and bake in a moderate oven for 45 mins or place alfoil wrapped fish in webber or on the BBQ for about same time, depending on size of fish and heat of BBQ.Garlic butter fried fillets also can be nice if your handy with a filleting knife.

16. kush12

kush12 New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    like the boggy man that story was all crap to

yeah there not bad at all and there fun to catch. check out the price they get for them at the markets.than add up how much money you have left on the bank to riot.

17. BackInBlack

BackInBlack New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    dito Quakers' remarks

18. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    I have eaten Carp on many occasions but they have almost always been part of a bigger recipe, meaning that the additional herbs, spices and what not probably make the experience pleasant.

The one thing I never liked about them was the coarsness of the flesh which I could never like.

19. Fullboar

Fullboar New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Couldnt do it myself, but a few mates do and say they are nice.

20. chicky

chicky New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    This old laidy i new from europe somewhere used to put them in a bath tub full of clean water, she said it cleaned the crap out of their system..AFTER a week she would cook them saying their the best fish to eat,i alway's kept them for her but was'nt keen on trying myself..