1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Aussie Salmon On Soft Plastics.

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing' started by rodreellurefish, Mar 24, 2018.

1. rodreellurefish

rodreellurefish Member

Mar 16, 2018
    Managed to get out for another fish during the week. Found a school of salmon held up in a deep channel. Thanks for watching everyone.

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Another good video, Clinton. Have you tried using poppers and other topwater lures on salmon? A favourite of mine is the 70 mm Bassday Sugarpen, great lure to use on the flats for salmon and whiting.

Jeff

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  3. rodreellurefish

rodreellurefish Member

Mar 16, 2018
    No, I have not. But I would love to chase them with topwater. Would be awesome to see. Might to invest in a couple of Bassdays. Any particular colour you recommend?

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The two colours I use are C137 & HA91, both work well on whiting in the shallows and will attract a hit from a salmon if you work it at a fast retrieve.

Sugarpen 70.JPG

Jeff

5. rodreellurefish

rodreellurefish Member

Mar 16, 2018
    Thanks for that. Will check them out.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    When I lived and fished in South Oz, I thought I knew all there was to be known about catching tommy ruff and small salmon on light gear. On one of my trips back to Smoky Bay, I watched a bloke using a rig that was absolutely deadly on tommies and salmon and it was such a simple setup.

It consisted of a hard plastic float known as a berley blob (pic below) with about a one metre leader, a long shank whiting hook and a 25 mm piece of plastic drinking straw that slipped down the leader and over the shank of the hook. The idea was to cast out and retrieve the rig at a fast speed to create a bit of turbulence on the surface with the float and the tommies and salmon would go for the trailing hook with plastic straw. I will try and find one of the rigs in amongst my gear and post a pic.

berley-blob-350x350-300x300.jpg
    berley blob

Jeff

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Had a scratch around in the shed, but couldn't find one of my tommy/salmon rigs, found an image on Google though from a website. Apparently they are a popular rig in WA and it seems that a green straw or tubing is the 'go to' colour over there. I found that the white plastic straws from those popper drinks worked well and can be found just about anywhere laying on the ground. The straw/tubing doesn't need to be as long as that shown in the pic, in fact, I found that a shorter piece around 25 mm worked well as it created a bubble trail when retrieved and the fish went nuts over it. Not uncommon to have 3 or 4 fish at a time trying to hit it and when a bigger salmon gets in on the act and comes up from deeper water, it is a very spectacular surface strike.

Beach-and-rock-rigs-2-040-1305x735.jpg

Jeff

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. rodreellurefish

rodreellurefish Member

Mar 16, 2018
    Thanks for sharing that. Some of the guys here use a clear bit of tube with a treble at the bottom. Apparently, the salmon love it. Will have to try it out sometime.

9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    On a larger scale; we used to often throw the plastic handle from a plastic bucket, threaded onto the line, with just a treble hanging out the back. Caught all sorts on them over years.