1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

battery

Discussion in 'Electronics & Gizmos' started by rene_bell, Nov 15, 2009.

1. rene_bell

rene_bell Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Hi i have a 40 poubd powerdrive electric motor on my boat,what are teh best batterys to use ,price ect as im chasing another
    jas

2. Doodah

Doodah New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Anything 100 amp hours or more, in a marine/deep cycle. Picked up a 105ah the other day for $120. Has 2 year warranty, so I reckon you can't go wrong. My other is a 120ah deep cycle/cranking battery. Use it as my starting battery for the outboard and as a backup if the front one goes flat (hasn't yet)

3. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Have been using a hybrid crank/deepcycle 110 amp hour for six months no problems.I was a bit sceptical when i bought it.Got it very cheap second hand hadnt been used for $100.I think they cost up around $200 or more.I also use this battery as my fridge power when i go away.My waeco 18 litre will run for 3 to 4 days in hot weather.If i connect my solar panel i have had it running for a week no problems.Im thinking of putting the solar panel on the boat to top up the battery while its not running.

4. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    i have a 125ah deep cycle and just wondering when you know its charged 100%.Im using a 6amp charger

5. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Buy a cheap multi meter from supercheap.I made my own battery tester.At work we go through the jumper packs quite often and i scab bits from them before throwing them out.I used the battery condition tester built in to the jump pack with a few bits of wire with alligators and a small push button switch.Ill take a pick of it for you if you like.

6. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I used to use a small charger.It took days to charge them right.I now have a big charger that can go up to 30 amps.There are special chargers for deep cycle batteries to i think.I think they pulse charge them which doesnt knock the insides around so much.

7. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    thanks wharf the pics would be good and yes i have a multimeter but where do i find the max charge for the battery at the moment it doesnt go above 12.87

8. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Is it the first charge?Or is it old?

9. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    sounds pretty max'd at 12.8 Stephen. ive got 2 120AH Exide AGM Industrial batteries.... dont ask how much ;) which i bought when i did some work to the boat and uped the leccy to 55lb. i use a ctek charger which has a float/maintenance option that my batteries are hooked up to all the time when the boat is in the shed. I only ever get a max of 12.8volts at full charge according to the sounder but this lasts me over a week running the leccy, lights, stereo, subby, bilge & livewell pumps.
    Id reccomend spending the extra on AGM deep cycle batteries for their longevity, they are also better at handling higher discharges and you get more re-charges out of them than a standard lead acid deep cycle.
    Jules

10. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    first charge
    i better take of the charger then i think as it has been on there for 24hrs
    just checked it again when i took it off and it sat at 13.70vlts so will check again when it cools off

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  11. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    That sounds better.If you dont have an auto charger get one,it will double the life compared to charging with something not up to the task.

12. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    am i hurting it by charging with a 6amp charger or is it more that i can over charge the battery and shorten its life? which is better? long and slow or quick and big

13. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    just went out to check the battery and it has dropped to 12.97 so from what i have read it will be fully charged

14. deej

deej New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Stephen, if you can spend the cash on a ctek and you cant go wrong or let me know and i might still be able to hook you up with a cheap one as i used to sell them at ashdowns i had a 7 amp which was great but after a few dramas at the hume comp with flat batteries ive also got a 25 amp ctek (which costs a small fortune) mounted permenatly in the boat which brings both batteries up overnight

15. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I dont like to charge my batteries overnight.I prefer to let them tick over on 5 or 10 amps for a day or so.But during spring my boat is in the water nearly every arvo.Then i do give the batteries a flogging on the lake and on the charger.Not much you can do about it unless you want to buy a few more batteries and a couple chargers.

Deej what is this Ctek charger?

16. deej

deej New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    The ctek's are about the best chargers you can buy, you could leave them on for 2 years if you want and they will just float the battery at its maximum charge, and once you get up in the range they come with a temp sensor mounted in the battery clamp that adjusts the rate of charge at the battery, smartest battery charger in the world