1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender vs Strathbogie!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    Made the trip to Strathbogie last Tuesday in search of wild mountain women, I mean redfin (I hate auto correct). I took two of my mates sons along as well. The Seven Creeks flows through the town and like many waterways around here...it had some water! On saying that, it wasn't too bad. Water was not filthy and the height had been steady for a couple days after dropping. So I got my rod into the usual hole I fish.
    rod 18.jpg
    Bait of choice was scrubworms!
    scrubbies 18.jpg
    The young guys tried lures as well and they gave it a good go. They tried several holes along the stretch of creek. There is some good looking water there.
    upstream 18.jpg
    There was one good looking section of water that we never tried! Not absolutely sure but it may have something to do with this! The boys spotted it as soon as we got out of the car. It didn't concern them too much! However, nobody passed this log to access the nearby water for the rest of the day.
    snake 18.jpg
    So...how did we fare? Not to well! The boys missed out on a fish. But they did see their first Koala in the wild. They still had a ball. Of course you can rely on Bender to ensure a fish is caught! Hard to judge size but you may get an idea by the size of the bait!
    redfin 18.jpg
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Ever reliable!

2. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Good report, my favourite snag has moved down stream, must have had a fair flow going, cheers davo

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  3. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I'm not a fan of snakes is that a copper head

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. DeeBeeKay

Aug 14, 2016
    I'm not sure, but then again who cares, it's a blxxdy big snake lol, cheers davo

5. DeeBeeKay

Aug 14, 2016
    I'm actually thinking it could be a tiger just out of hibernation, cheers davo

6. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I thought tiger at first I've never seen a copper head just noticed it's head was lighter

creekboy, kev209 and DeeBeeKay like this.
  7. DeeBeeKay

Aug 14, 2016
    tiger snake.PNG

I was comparing the head markings on this tiger, still, just can't make out the head properly on the one in the pic, cheers davo

creekboy likes this.
  8. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I'm pretty sure it is a tiger Jim would know looks like he got pretty close to it unless his cameras got a really good zoom

9. DeeBeeKay

Aug 14, 2016
    I'm tipping a good zoom, lol, cheers davo

creekboy, kev209 and Lazyfisher like this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    The boys tried where you normally fish and still had good bites. I tried a few metres upstream of the snag for minimal bites. Cast close to the snag but slightly upstream just the once...my rig is still there!

^^^ This!
    I am no snake expert...but there are plenty on facebook and the general consensus was...Copperhead!
    cheers
    Jim

creekboy, kev209 and DeeBeeKay like this.
  11. DeeBeeKay

Aug 14, 2016
    Oh OK, I'd trust the facebook experts too,:rolleyes: cheers davo

12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Just throwing 'Red-bellied black' out there! Junior said it was that but I didn't see any red from my view...but looking at pics...maybe an option! Check out spots underneath just below where fat bits of snake separate! Next time I will get junior to flip it over for a pic!

creekboy likes this.
  13. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I would call it for a red belly black myself, but I don't often see snakes round my place and I really only know the more common sorts like pythons, red bellys and browns... I did see one really big red belly walking my dog a few years ago would have been around 10-12foot length deep black on top, ranging from yellow/orange near had and tail to bright red in underbelly.
    I was scared shitless and my dog stopped dead in his tracks (part kelpie so he did that weird front leg raising thing they do when they are hunting and he don't do it very often). Snake took a look at me frozen and I reckon I scared him more than he did me- I literally petrified and I couldn't move for a good few minutes after it disappeared in the scrub. Like lightning was there one second gone the next couldn't even tell which way it went, was just glad it didn't come straight for me...

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  14. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    My guess a red belly black,not uncommon in them parts.Probably one of the more man friendly critter's that can be found over that way too.

15. DeeBeeKay

Aug 14, 2016
    AWL, I believe you'd now all the critters over that way so you now have my vote:D cheers davo

kev209 likes this.
  16. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Went for a trip again last Thursday. The water level has dropped a fair bit which I did expect. Was also going to do a scrub worm dig fest to bring some home! Things are drying out there and they were a bit harder to find. Just as well we did get some as we ran out of bait that we took very quickly! For whatever reason I decided to take my sister!
    Jenny18.jpg
    We were getting many small bites but as we learnt later..it was yabbies! I have never had an issue there with bait pinching yabbies before but this time they were relentless! Soon I had a small redfin on the bank (wasn't worth taking a pic). Then I caught my first trout out of these waters. It was around 30 cm's! Bait was worms.
    trout18.jpg
    It is the first trout I have caught on bait for many many years! Maybe decades! As the day wore on it was apparent that the yabbie population was very active. No more fish were landed. It always seemed as tho we were being watched!
    koala18.jpg
    wallaby18.jpg
    ducks18.jpg
    I will likely do another trip there before summer but things will have to be a bit different. Will have to use lures me thinks to avoid the yabbie population!
    cheers
    Jim

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    creekboy, Lazyfisher and kev209 like this.
  17. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Nice one Jim :)

creekboy likes this.
  18. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Great pictures Jim your getting better with the new camera, or are you like me and just leave it on auto?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    creekboy likes this.
  19. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Good report,you could probly put a yabbie net in and throw one back with a hook in him.
    Cheers mick.

creekboy likes this.
  20. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    During the day I just leave it on auto usually. And make sure I choose what I want to focus on. Reality is I take a lot of pics and some of them have to work out!

Yes...but from previous experience fishing heavily infested yabbie creeks...when Murph or I have used yabbies as bait...they still get attacked by yabbies! Best option if I can get one on the day is a small redfin...send it back out! Have always thought about doing this but never got around to it.
    cheers
    Jim