1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender vs the channels!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Oct 20, 2016.

1. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    X2. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    So...headed out to the channel in about 40 km/h winds Tuesday evening! The plan was to fish for about half an hour with lures just before dark then fish with bait. Before I left home I thought I should put long pants on...yeah, nah! That was my first mistake!

I started the onslaught with an Ecogear ZX blade. It now sits on the concrete structure on the other side of the channel. After about 15 minutes my back and knees were hurting but I persisted for a while. Then something strange happened!
    180102 cod 40.jpg
    Can anyone ID this for me? Is it a...wait...for...it...fish?:cool: It was only about 30 cm's long and it took a Rapala shallow running Shad Rap lure. The old faithful 'Perch' pattern.

After this excitement I settled down for a bait fishing session. There were some shrimp in my net so out they went. I was rather cold and the wind made it difficult to detect bites. I gave up just before 10 pm and retrieved my line to find no bait left.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    The song says it all!

creekboy, AJ Fishman, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  3. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    There was more than one fish in there, well done, cheers davo

Rod Bender, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Went out this evening for a short session casting lures. Barometric pressure was around 1010 hPa which is not that great for chasing cod but I wasn't going to let that stop me going! The temp was in the mid twenties so yeah, it would have been stupid to stay at home.

There was lots of weed about to foul my lure. Other than that the channel was looking good. At times I was removing weed every two to three casts and gave up after about half an hour. But I will say it was a good variety of weed! 'Strap' like weed, slimy weed and that dry weed that sort of looks like a helicopter rotor! The majority of the weed was suspended in the channel and going with the flow.

I had a crap night with bird nests too on the baitcaster. Not major ones and they were easy enough to remove but it was enough to stop my lure in its tracks! I am a tad worried about throwing swim baits that weigh up to seven ounces!

Sometimes I have these bird nesting sessions and just plod along in ga-ga land. But this evening I actually made an effort to check the adjustment and see if I could improve things. It worked...for a little while!:confused: The lure whilst not that light is not the heaviest. This combined with the fact that I always try and launch the lure out of our stratosphere is the likely cause.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Needs a 1000 litre drum of Roundup!

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Holy snappin' armpits !!! - a seven ounce lure? Some days, I'm happy to catch a fish that size.

What tackle are you using to handle big lures of that calibre, Jim? I've got a couple of big barra lures around the 50g mark that I troll, but they are a bit of a mongrel to cast after mainly using lures in the 15 to 30g range.

My mission for today is to find something in the shed that weighs over 200g and resembles a lure, rig it up and try casting it across the paddock. If you never hear from me again, the neighbour has taken offence to me firing missiles in his direction and put his attack dogs on to me. (2 very mean miniature Jack Russels)

Team Diesel
    ......known for doing absolutely dumb stupid things in the pursuit of perfection.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    The extra heavy swimbait rod...see the link below.
    https://samaki.com.au/rods/zing-xtreme/
    I will get some pics of the lure up at some point but the one in question is the Mattlures Dead Twitch! 10 inches and 7 ounces and came along after the success of the 13 inch, one pound bigger brother! I don't know why they don't just use depth charges! And these lures are made for Large mouth bass in the US!

If by chance you wanted to go down the path of getting a heavy rod to handle some of your 50 gram lures, the smaller Samaki swim bait rod would do. The things I looked for was a rod that would break down to two pieces. Also a rod that doesn't have small guides and last but not least a rod that has full grips rather than the split grip. The Samaki also come in under $300 unlike the Aussie rival Wilson who make the Venom range which sell for around $500!

As for the reel, it hasn't arrived yet! I ordered a 13 Concept A baitcaster back in Late November. Estimated delivery time was about 2 days. Then that got changed to February! I think it is more the distributor at fault than the local tackle store. They say you need a larger reel to handle the larger lures. I am not so sure but went with a capable reel. Line I will try first will be 40 lb mono.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Size does matter!

7. DeeBeeKay

Aug 14, 2016
    Speaking of round up, I may have to put my little spraypak in the car for next time I'm up that way, cheers davo

creekboy, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the info, Jim. I've got a little Samaki Zing 5'4" spin rod, 4-10lb that I picked up at a good price and not really knowing what the brand was like. It was the perfect light spin rod for kayak fishing and the more I used it, the more I liked it. Sold the kayak last year, but just couldn't unload the rod and I think given the opportunity, I could add a couple more Samaki rods to the growing stock pile. I like the quality.

I have a theory that when the revolution comes (it's coming), there will be a world shortage of fishing gear and I don't want to be caught out. That's the latest excuse that I presented to the bride when she questioned my new Stradic.:D

Jeff :cool:

9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Went out for a session yesterday with AJ Fishman and his brother. The target species was redfin and was I confident that we were going to smash them! Although reports were saying that the majority of redfin would be small, expectations were high! Yeah...nah! Not one fish was landed!:eek: Many juvenile redfin were spotted cruising about but we couldn't temp any of their slightly bigger relatives to have a crack!

To start with weed was very bad but strangely its presence seemed to dwindle as the light faded. Many lures were thrown into battle including some new ones that we purchased recently at $5 each of which some were marked down from 20 or $30! It was pleasing to see they all swim well and I am not put off by the poor result as I started off with the old trustworthy Rapala CD7 in 'Minnow' pattern and it failed to raise any interest as well. We had some bites on yabbies and shrimps and came the closest to catching a reddie when one was hooked but lost on the bank.
    Jungle Perch 30.jpg
    AJ chasing Jungle perch!o_O
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Heading off now to buy some camo clothes!

creekboy, AJ Fishman, diesel and 3 others like this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    A short session yesterday proved futile. My confidence was sort of shattered when I noticed how much weed was coming down through the system. The first lure I tried (for the first time) was a Daiwa RPM Crank. A lure which has a good reputation as a yella lure...or so they say! In all fairness it did have a very good action and swam deep...but not too deep for the channel so I was impressed. It was snaring a lot of weed on its bottom running trebles.

Time for a lure change so I tried a small mumbler. The hook sits upright on this and what do you know...weed catching was reduced by about 50%! I am going to have to rig some weedless soft plastics for future occasions when the conditions are tough!
    cheers
    Jim

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Went out to the channel the other evening for the first time in a while to this particular spot. It has been too long since I have been there. There are now some clearly defined weed beds which is good. Previously there has been weed but often it was not visible when the water was high.
    weeds.JPG
    The channel looked good, not too much flow and no weed coming down.
    reg.JPG

All I took out for bait was one small yabbie and I was uncertain if I would get any shrimp. After about 20 minutes of...nothing...this guy came along, around 30 cm's.
    cod.JPG
    That left me with no bait and a check of the shrimp nets provided nothing. There was no choice but to wait until after dark (which wasn't long) in the hope that I got some shrimp. They didn't let me down and I got a rod back in the water. Bites were frequent but from small fish. I ended up with one more small cod before I left.
    cheers
    Jim

12. DeeBeeKay

Aug 14, 2016
    Good work, you've still got it, sort of;), cheers davo

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Well...If I did have it, I lost it last night! One yabby lasted from about 530pm until 9! I got shrimp after dark and with hindsight I should have gave them a go but didn't. The irrigation season finishes next week so my channel trips will reduce.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Pondering the 'channel' season that never was!

14. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    The end is near!
    flow.JPG
    The flow rate of the 'main' channel that I fish. Official end of irrigation season is this coming Thursday. This season was the season that never was as far as I'm concerned...I wasted it!
    cheers
    Jim

15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    So, what now? Wait for the next irrigation season to kick in or do you move to a different spot with a permanent water flow?

We have the same issue up here with water released from the dam into the Nogoa River for irrigation on cotton. The fishing is good when there is a plentiful supply of water, but as soon as it drops a bit the fish just seem to disappear. They have to be hiding somewhere because they return quickly once the level rises. Nobody fishes the irrigation channels much due to the high amount of chemicals used on cotton and there is a strict ban of taking yabbies from the channels for the same reason. There is not so much chemical buildup in the river that feeds the channels due to it getting a good flush out with summer rains, but in saying that, I would not eat a fish taken from any water in cotton country.

Jeff

kev209, creekboy and Rod Bender like this.
  16. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    If we get good rain my attention will turn to the inlet channels at Waranga Basin as they will flow. If the 'main' channel isn't drained for maintenance, I will have a go there occasionally and I use floats instead of sinkers but I haven't done well there in the winter. It is still relaxing sitting there watching a float...even if it never gets disturbed by a fish!:) You can still pick up redfin in some channels on lures...it just depends on whether the channels hold water or are drained.

We have the Goulburn River here which I never bother with in winter...that may change. And then there is old faithful...the Nine Mile Creek which dwindles to a few holes and a trickle between which then equals isolated pockets of concentrated carp!:cool:
    cheers
    Team Bender
    It never ends here!

17. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    AJ Fishman and I went out thursday evening for a short session at one of the outlet channels. As would be expected the channel was off but the water was relatively clear. A fair bit of weed drifting made things difficult.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    You guessed it...no fish were harmed during this trip!:cool:

18. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I agree. I tie mine in seconds and have never had one fail. Used it to tie it fly tippets and in the dark without issues as well.

19. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Which knot are you talking about Noel? The fg or the 5 turn surgeon knot. Good to see you back here as well.
    cheers
    Jim

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  20. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Sorry Jim. While the medicos were playing around with my heart the other day; they might have created some brain damage as well. I should have been more explicit. The one I use is neither. It's a version of the almost ancient fisherman's knot with some variations to adapt to mixing braid and mono. It's been around since the inception of mono lines.
    The only change made is the number of turns difference between mono and braid. It's simple; tiny and as said I have never had one fail in perhaps 30 years of regular use. The same knot is used for everything from fly fishing to bigger game fish. But we all develop our own personal preferences.
    The same knot was common 60 years ago but didn't become standard for me for many years. Like many of us I was always chasing new and better that I never found while retaining my standard criteria .
    My principal concerns will always be the need for

simplicity and efficiency
    Noel.

I don't mind being told to get knotted for my opinions. Nobody has to agree.

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.