1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender vs the creek!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    And I am not talking about any creek...but 'the' creek! To protect the identity of this creek we shall refer to it as the creek that flows through Wunghnu! I have fished it for several years now and usually the target species was carp. Have since tried it a bit further upstream and have started picking up natives.

Anyway, I haven't been there since the floods so thought it was about time I revisited the spot. It was also going to be my official cod opening trip but that fell by the wayside. On arrival, the water was looking rather good with flow being sent down for irrigation.
    inflow 18.JPG
    So, got the shrimp nets in and then had a cast with some lures. This was to no avail and then got a rod in as soon as I got a few shrimp. They were not really abundant and I was getting more yabbies. But went with the few shrimp that I had. Bites were slow but I still lost my shrimp. Checked the nets again...no shrimp but yabbies so that was it! Then the bite rate went from slow to no!
    creek 18.JPG
    I broke the monotony with some lure tossing, yet again to no avail. Then a couple guys arrived, a 15 year old who started throwing lures where I had been. About the third cast...53 cm cod on a Jackall lure! Such is fishing life! Later on he got a 55 cm cod further upstream!
    His step father was bait fishing with me. He was using worms and getting multiple annoying bites. I gave him a yabbie to try as he stopped fishing cos it was annoying. Bam...he hooks a yella on the yabbie but loses it on the bank! My yabbie had been sitting out there for ever! By this time I had gone back to shrimp and picked up a small carp.
    carp 18.JPG
    Ran out of shrimp again and back to yabbies. So some dumb 58 cm carp comes along and says "thank your mother for the yabbie"! This particular carp is no longer with us!:cool: I did take some surface lures but with the other guy sitting with me, it was just so easy to sit and drink Sars soft drink and talk crap! This was only the second time in about 2 months that I went fishing so was happy to just get out the door!
    cheers
    Team Carp

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  2. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Nice report there RB:cool:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Good report Jim

creekboy likes this.
  4. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Top marks for effort Bender (+ bonus marks for fish and great piccies) - that creek sure looks fishy mate :D :D :D

5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I decided to fish a location on the Nine Mile Creek in northern Victoria on Pirtek challenge day. Target species was carp! I prefer to chase carp rather than the 2 natives that were on the list simply because I don’t care how long it takes to get the brag mat pic right.

I knew I would get yabbies and shrimp on the day but took along some of my colored corn combo bait as well to start off the day. I prefer natural baits found in the water but I will use corn. As for the different colors…just something different and I am not sure if it makes any difference. Although I do think the black kernels show up well in murky water and get the carp’s attention. It has been rather dry lately and I didn’t bother digging worms.
    corn25.JPG
    This was a good move as at times the shrimp and yabbie collection was slow. I arrived soon after 7 and got the nets in then baited one line with corn.
    morning creek25.jpg
    Didn’t have to wait long before the first customer arrived! A smallish carp which set the standards for the day. They were a pain! I may have only caught about 10 for the day but bites at times were annoying (not hooking them). Most fish fell to shrimp but the corn did claim some victims. I had some good company there with Dangerous Dave putting on a one rod carp slaying display using worms for bait. At the end of the day he was casting to different locations to avoid the small carp.
    DD25.JPG
    After dangerous Dave left, my other mate Perilous Pete arrived. He managed to kill one carp.
    PC25.JPG
    He even had a short stint of fly casting to get into practice for a trip this weekend.
    PC fly25.JPG
    At the end of the day (11 hours fishing) this was the best I could do! A carp around the 45 cm mark.
    carp25.jpg
    My supervisor fished the challenge with his son…also chasing carp in the local channels. They did not get one! However, their cat did take a liking to the brag mat prior to the event; however, unfortunately ‘catfish’ were not a target species!
    catfish.JPG
    Anyway, am looking forward to next year. The one thing obvious from yesterday…the carp are back in abundance in this creek…not happy about that!

Cheers

Team Bender

Carp control co-ordinator!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  6. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    You came, you saw but failed to conquer. At least you got to wet a line with mates and that is what it is all about anyway. Cheers, creekboy.

Rod Bender, Sprinter and kev209 like this.
  7. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Great report there RB. Did it take long to wash the black crap of your fingers.

Team AWL
    A bit suss on that cat being in a fishing comp.

8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Spent several hours last Tuesday with Dangerous Dave at the creek. Was rather motivated for a big effort. Water flow was good as I expected as the irrigation season is still going. Put the shrimp nets in and then it began!
    knifedge 1.JPG
    I did have some corn to start with so got a rod in. This was a futile attempt to catch a carp to pass the time. I even had intentions of chucking a chunk of carp on later as bait...this was how serious I was! At the same time, Dave was getting constant bites on worms (likely from small carp) but could only manage one small carp for the arvo. This was more than I got!
    rod holder.JPG
    After setting up the bait rod, I began to cast lures which also proved to be futile! As it turned out, getting shrimp and yabbies also was difficult. This surprised me. I'm not sure if it had something to do with the shrimp being distracted by 3 dead cows in the water but the yabbies and shrimp basically remained inactive until dark. Then they were not plentiful. So what could I do? Take random pics...nothing more! This was a shocker of a trip...not one fish landed by me...not even a carp!
    bridge.JPG
    Entering the nocturnal stage of the session!
    sunset.JPG
    night sky.JPG

moon.JPG
    That is all folks!

creekboy, Sprinter and kev209 like this.
  9. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    By the photos it's a nice quiet little spot, I could sit there all day just relaxing. If a fish was to hook it's self that would be a bonus. But that's me. Keep the photos coming Jim, I look forward to them.

Rod Bender, creekboy and Sprinter like this.
  10. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    I agree with Kev100 percent. At least you did not have a heap of fish to clean when you got home. Better luck next time. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  11. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Great report RB.No one does a fishless trip report as comprehensive as you:cool: And with your photography skill's constantly improving, there just getting better all the time.Keep up the good work.

3 dead cow's in the water sound's like the work of a rogue cod to me.Like croc's they will watch there prey come down to drink for a day or 2 before pouncing upon it.I'd be heading back soon and throwing soft plastic t bones around of an evening if i were you.:)

Team AWL
    On the frothy's since 3 and still no sign of the mrs:D

12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I can't remember but it would have taken the same time that it took to wash it off my car bonnet! I bait up the colored corn on my car so yeah...it gets a tad messy!:)

Just wait til I catch something! 300 page report!:eek: Funny thing is when I did catch a fish yesterday (redfin), I didn't bother taking a pic! As for the cow killing cod, was thinking of baiting up with a side of beef. Are you aware of a bait sock that will accommodate a bait of this size? Thinking maybe a hessian potato bag?
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Takes on board what everyone says!

Sprinter, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  13. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    No Reports without photos Jim

creekboy likes this.
  14. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Roving reporter Rod Bender reporting live from the Nine Mile Creek! Rod has been in for about 5 minutes...bites have started. Brag mat is rolled out with code word at the ready! It is Showtime!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Expecting carpageddon!

15. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Hope you took your popcorn and icecream.

creekboy likes this.
  16. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    And the result's so far are :rolleyes:

Team AWL
    Nice n warm at home:)

17. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    So you have not tried Big M soaked worms yet ? Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  18. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Hit the creek on Thursday hell bent on finishing the carp comp! Scrubbies were the bait of choice! A waste of a good bait on carp but I had some left over from my Bogie adventures so thought I may as well use them. The creek was flowing well.
    upstream.JPG
    downstream.JPG
    As usual I just used one rod. It wasn't long before the bites started...and they were rather frequent! Until I got one carp out at 28cms! Then the bites slowed right down! This was good cos of late I am happy to sit on my fat ar5e and do nothing! It was a strange session with bites fluctuating from busy to non-existant! Anyway, then this one came along...70 cm's! Just 30 shy of the magic one meter mark!:cool:
    70 carp.JPG
    And that was it! I had a shrimp net in as well...nothing until the end of the evening and that was one small yabby which come home with me! The shrimp and yabbies will start to pick up soon. The cool start to spring has slowed them down.
    cheers
    Jim

AWL, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  19. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Intrepid reporter Rod Bend'em reporting live from the creek! The action so far...yeah, nah! Lots of water coming into the creek via the irrigation channel so things are looking good! I arrive with no bait relying on getting some shrimp and yabbies. They have been slow, to the point that I have no yabbies and just getting enough shrimp to bait the hook. Still should get something before I leave tonight.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Sittin' here like a coiled spring!

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  20. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Perfect arvo for it bender,the wind has gone at last:cool: Hopefully you can hook up to something.
    Toss a small lure around, might just get that yella you want. As silly as it sounds bender i dont think the water temps have gotten up enough to get the yabby's going yet.Best of luck:)

Team AWL
    sitting here unsprung

kev209 and creekboy like this.