1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender vs the creek!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Prior to the trip I did think about trying lures but decided against it. With hindsight I should have done it. Of late I either fish with bait or I try lures. I am going out to the channel tonight armed with lures so that is this weeks 'lure effort'! An hour on my feet using lures is enough for me so that is what I do...after an hour or more on my feet I am ready to call it quits.

As for being too cold for yabbies, my mate who fishes the same creek has been getting yabbies and shrimp for about 3 weeks. Yet I failed dismally. I was using wet cat food which normally does the trick. The one carp I got for the session should have gone into the shrimp net for bait. But as you said, it may still be too cold...I failed to get yabbies...so how can I argue?

As for the fishing, one carp over 30 centimetres was the only result. I did not bother getting pics on the day as I have posted so many 'fishless' scenic pics from this place before!:cool: The action was slow to start with...almost non-existent! That was just as well as I was not getting that many shrimp. How hard would it have been to buy a tin of corn and take it in case it was needed? Apparently too hard! But I was confident of getting an abundant amount of shrimp. I was also confident with the prevailing conditions that a tonne of carp were going to be terminated and also a good chance of a yella...or two!

For some reason after dark, the fishies came alive! As I was using circle hooks I let them hook themselves. Well, one of them did! A carp over 30 cm's. There were a lot of 'pickers' around...but not hookers!:) A couple times I was sitting there with my line out of the water as the shrimp department was letting me down. Usually I get more shrimp or yabbies after dark, last night...yeah, nah! I stayed until after 9pm and then left. I was also left scratching my head wondering what in the f#%^ happened today!:eek:

Anyway, you have to excuse me now as I need to prepare for this evenings adventure!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Has anyone seen our mojo?

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  2. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Least you got a couple of carp mate:cool: Better luck tonight.

3. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Just the one...I mentioned it twice!:)

4. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Reporting live from the creek! Target species...carp! Already lost one...tentative bites, appeared to be on and it was! Me thought it was small then the f***er came alive and shifted into locomotive mode! Busted me off which now makes me think that the new 12 lb mono I have on is sh!t! Anyway, glory awaits!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Carpafun...the end is near losers!:cool:

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Perfect condition's for it this arvo bender,so expecting some big numbers out of you:cool::cool:WTF is the go with using 12lb mono on the suckers.You been spending to much time on them pommy carp forums and starting to tell your self your sport fishing for them???

Team AWL
    Skull drag's all carp to their death

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Normally the 12 lb line is fine. I think the line I had, despite being newly spooled, is sh!t!

Anyway, in the end I remained fishless! I did not get one shrimp that was big enough for bait but did come home with four smallish yabbies for my next trip. I noticed on my arrival something different about the creek. It seemed wider! Then I realised the 'arrowhead' weed has gone! I wonder if this may also have something to do with the reduction in shrimp either by losing their habitat or wondering if some herbicide has been used. On saying that, the herbicide GMW uses is very friendly to aquatic species and they have used it in channels before and the shrimp have not been affected.

I may have to ask the 'Citizen's Advice Bureau' for advice!
    creek.jpg
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Carpafun continues!