1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Camp Ovens: An essential cooking utensil.

Discussion in 'Camping, Carravanning & 4x4' started by Goodoo Dreaming, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    After camping for many years with many top people it never ceases to amaze me just how poorly prepared most people are when camping. One major subject at my camp with most who are poorly prepared (or just slackers) is when I cook in the camp oven. Most have never cooked, tried or thought about using one which really amazes me as they are with out doubt the best cooking utensil in camp and the food is outstanding. I never go camping with out one. You can cook your own roast meat and vegies, fanntastic stews, bake cakes, heat up frozen TV dinners, bake bread or damper. You are only bounded by your imagination.

Camp ovens are just like an oven at home (well almost) and only need a little practice at the camp fire to master it or you can cheat and use heat beads.

I found a ripper website to give you a heads up or expand the horizons of those who are interested. Get into it if you haven't already and I swear you'll thank me for it.

Hit the link to a new camp cooking experience.
    http://www.aussiecampovencook.com

2. Studley

Studley New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    *G*
    I learned about the camp oven a bit over 10 years ago when I was working in Ross River Homestead. The Ringers there used to swear by them and carried on endlessly how you could cook anything in one. Well it is pretty much true within reason of course. Basically if you can do it in an oven you can do it in a camp oven. Brilliant for braising beef down until it is so tender you must serve it with a spoon.

I guess my ownly hassle has been finding one big enough for what I would like to do in it

Studley

3. Funda

Funda Guest

I love my camp oven, it's the best thing to cook in and nearly everything gets cooked in it on extended trips away.

Even the roasts are the main thing we cook in ours, it's the stews n soups that come out the best & they allways seem to taste a heap better than anything that gets cooked at home on the stove.

Here's a handy link for those camp oven enthusiasts out there.

http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/

4. chicky

chicky New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    I luv my camp oven cook,n it always seem to taist great after a few tinneis..A bloke i know luvs his oven too,he takes the genny and hooks up the microwave...fast food nut..haha.

5. hank

hank New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    i love my camping cooker to lol she cooks for me all the time lol

6. BackInBlack

BackInBlack New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    :thumb: i think i like my camp oven more than my eski, er maybe not :p

7. Goodoo Dreaming

Apr 12, 2006
    Camp ovens would be one of the most versatile no fuss items in your camp gear. They are a quick method of cooking and mostly dont need any attending once you have a little experience. When done a quick wipe and wipe with a little oil in and around them and you are done.

I treat it like a bbq plate, give it a rough clean when finished and ensure its oiled up. Then the next time you use it, heat it up for 20 min or so, so it gets nice and hot and burns off all the germs. Sometimes a little water may be needed to be boiled in it to assist in the cleaning, wipe out and then oil up again and your ready to go again.

A good tip when buying a camp oven is to buy a wire cake stand that is a close fit to the size of the bottom of the camp oven and also a small baking dish. Just ensure the dish does not fill the entire space as a little room is needed for the heat to move around the dish. These will come in very handy for warming up frozen dinners or cooking things with an even heat around them. TV dinners from the supermarket are a real fave of mine to warm up/cook in the camp oven. You only need to place the CO next to the fire and turn it every 10min until hot or cooked. The small single serve size frozen lasagne is real fave of mine, it comes in its own oven tray, just remove wrapping and sit on the wire cake tray, wait 20-30mins and all your camp mates will all be green with envy around the camp fire.

You are only limited by your imagination, get out and grab one and you'll never look back. If you buy one, get one with the lid that has an up turned lip thats holds the coals. Rays Outdoors has reasonable CO's at reasonable prices.

8. craig308

craig308 New Member

Aug 24, 2005
  9. fisherman347

fisherman347 Active Member

Sep 4, 2006
    yes camp ovens are great dont go away without one & yes Furphy"s from shepparton make the best camp ovens i've seen,i was lucky i got mine for free my cousin was a boilermaker there for 15 years.......

10. jason austin

jason austin New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    i was viewing this topic and started thinking back to some camping holidays at my father in laws farm, and yes i remembered the camp oven delivering an absolute cracker of a roast, so off i went today to purchase one to take on a trip to timberlake in a couple of weeks, so hopefully i will have as much enjoyment from this one as you guys. Looking forward to a roast lamb with vegies.

11. Studley

Studley New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I have a camp oven story from when I was the Cook at Ross River Homestead near Alice Springs.

I used to do Breakfast and had to have it ready to go at 7AM. The deal was the same for the guy who did the Damper, which was like a tourist thing for the American tour group when it was there.

So there I am at 6.25 having a smoke and about to start when the Ringer Ian roars up in his brakeless Corolla!
    EEEEK will he stop well somehow he pulls it off and comes running up and says I'm in deep haven't started the fire yet and I need 30 minutes to bake the damper for the tour at 7AM!!!!!!

No worries mate I say. We step inside and I start my usual routine but first I turned the oven on which wasn't something I would usually have on at that time. WattaIdo WattaIdo WattaIdo says Ian. Theres flour just over there just mix up a dough like normal mate I said. He gets into it and then goes WattaIdo WattaIdo WattaIdo and I say grab one of those Camp ovens just like normal so he does and then I just popped it in the oven for him. I said that'll take about 20 minutes or so, what I'll do when I get breakfast out is bring it down to you at the campsite. You just go down get a fire going do your usual thing and I'll get it down in time for you to serve it up. That'll give you time to get it all going properly so we'll be right.

So at about 5 past 7 I walk down with the camp oven and just slipped it under a table they had there. The tour was watching him demonstrate the stockmans whip he gave me a wink and a nod and I just walked back up to the kitchen. Don't know if the tour knew much about it. He showed them how to make one dropped it in the fire shoveled some coals on top and then cut up the one we had done earlier.

Gave us a few grins over beers later. But that was because few could tell a story as well as Ian.

Studley

12. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Here's mine it belonged to my grandad , love food from a camp oven just makes the trip complete

Cheers
    Ozzy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jason austin

jason austin New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Well, in the backyard i tried the camp oven out with a chicken mini roast and vegies, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. Covered with an aray of aramatic herbs. It was cooked over some heat beads in a hole.
    The result, Magnificant!!!!
    I also visited the camp oven sight, what a little gem.

<s>finger lickin good</s>

14. Craig_B_

Craig_B_ Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Ok fella's
    Sitting here reading this post with a sunday morning hangover and just checked out the link to the camp ovenm site and I think its time for me to prepare the 2 camp ovens I have had for about 5 years but never used.
    mmm, how good would a nice little seasoned roast be right now!!
    Next trip away we had better incorperate a camp oven cooking comp!!

-craig B

15. jason austin

jason austin New Member

Feb 7, 2006
  16. Goodoo Dreaming

Apr 12, 2006
    WELL!!!! I can now look forward to some ala carte meals from our camp oven chefs when on camp. MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!

Now, I like my roast beef medium rare with plenty of spice............and well roasted vegies too!!!!! ;)

17. Komodo

Komodo New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Camp ovens are a funny thing - I never realised, until recently, how many people havent ever used - or for that matter know how to use a camp oven. Growing up camping with dad always had a camp oven then during scouts everything was cooked in the old dutch oven. Roasts, stews, vegies, cakes, deserts, bread, damper etc.

Camp ovens are awesome its neigh on impossible to screw up your cooking (trust me im a klutz in the kitchen) and you food is always really tender.

18. ScottyP

ScottyP New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Oh Yeh always carry the camp oven around with me, they are great. I have a Bedourie oven which is spun or pressed steel. The lid makes a great hot plate, on either the stove or some coals next to the fire.:thumb:

19. wombat1100

wombat1100 New Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Well after reading all this my tastebuds are watering,
    ScottyP have you got a pic of your campoven?
    is there any benefits or disadvantages between the one Scottp has described
    "I have a Bedourie oven which is spun or pressed steel. The lid makes a great hot plate, on either the stove or some coals next to the fire.:thumb:"

and a cast iron camp oven?
    Daz

20. Davo

Davo New Member

Oct 18, 2005