1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Carp virus discussion...Victoria.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    AWL, creekboy, Ditch and 2 others like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    If and when they release the virus, the clean up is going to be huge. In no way am I knocking those on the Dole, as some have legitimate reasons. The program work for the Dole could be used to help clean up the dead carp. OMI

diesel, Rod Bender and creekboy like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hmm. Very interesting post there Jim. Keep the reports coming. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  4. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    From what I have heard previously, they will be hoping a large volunteer contingent (from angling clubs etc) will assist with the clean up. There may be paid contractors as well.

Also from memory, fisheries are in favour of releasing the virus if all the research comes up good.
    Cheers
    Jim

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hope they don't stuff it up more than the carp have. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    They still haven't convinced me that it will not harm other wild life

creekboy, Madfisher and diesel like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm yet to be convinced also, Kev. Australia does not have a good track record when handling invasive pests regardless of whether it is fish, insects, mammals or vegetation. Sure, a lot of research has been conducted into the Koi virus and authorities seem to be satisfied that it will not jump species and become a threat to our native fish, but in the event of the virus morphing into a different strain, what then???

Jeff :(

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    This Wednesday in Shepparton I will be going along to see why fisheries think the virus has to be released! All going well I will write up a report on the evening...unless I fall asleep!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Carpologist!

9. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Thank's for being our eyes and ears there bender:cool: Look forward to the report back.
    I'd go, but it's at the O'ey:) and i can't get the day off thurs:(

Team AWL
    out of sickies

10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Where to start? I know...here!
    Looks like I am more of a man than some others!:cool: Anyway, the evening kicked off. There was only about 25 people in attendance, including those presenting. Talking to one of the carp control people later, I told him it was disappointing. He agreed and said the attendance was similar at other locations. 6pm start...too close to work finish time maybe? It appears as though this show will be rolling around the whole country anyway, or at least the states where carp are situated. And then I lost all hope of remembering anything when a hot chick came into the room and took photos for the duration of the talk.

The current distribution of carp was discussed as well as the population explosion from last years floods in some areas. There are still some rivers in Vic which have no carp as yet. It was mentioned that the carp are about 'one ridge' away from getting into another major river system wearing a grey skirt and black stockings with hair flowing down...oh, wait, I digress!:rolleyes: Results of electro fishing surveys in the Goulburn River and Broken Creek showed the majority of biomass was carp.

People in attendance are concerned we may be taking away the main food source for natives, both fish and birds if we eliminate carp. Apparently tests have been done which expose large natives, cod from memory to small carp and small native fish. So...apparently the natives prefer to eat natives! The term 'junk food' was used for carp as native food. Obviously they do get eaten now due to the high numbers.

Trials have also been carried out to determine the effect that carp have within the environment. The trial showed that the carp's feeding habit decimate vegetation. This reduction in vegetation reduces the amount of bugs and therefore reduces the amount of food available. One example given if the carp are not reducing weed is that shrimp will flourish in waters where the temperature is suitable. Shrimp develop quickly and therefore another food source will become available, well some food anyway.

They used some work in the Wimmera as an example. The river system is small compared to others so it may not make a good comparison but the waterway was targeted by commercial carp fishers. My memory may fail me but a figure of around a 40% reduction in carp took place. There was a huge percentage increase of small gudgeons and yellas with fewer carp.

Some of you may be aware of the genetic work done with the 'daughterless' carp idea. Genetically modify carp and release them so when they breed they only have daughters! To me that is downright discrimination against males but here is the thing! First of all, it requires many carp to be bred and released and secondly...it is estimated that it would take approximately 200 years to totally work! Yeah...nah! When I first read about this technique the estimated time may have been around 20 years but I guess research told them otherwise. This technique is still being researched in the US and they are keeping an eye on it.

The virus itself...it is found in many countries. In these countries in most cases the virus has been introduced by mistake. Blame is often pointed at the virus being transported by illegal movement of fish, as in the Koi carp huggers! Good news for said huggers is that they can get a vaccine to protect their precious little pets. This also came up when someone asked if we introduce the virus, can we sort of get rid of it after it does its job! Or that is what we thought was asked...um, er, no!

The virus had parameters in regards to temperature...memory fails me but let me say it is not likely to be released in the middle of winter. All ages of carp are effected with the exception of eggs or newly hatched eggs...within a couple days of hatching or whatever they do. Other things to be taken into consideration are water storages...there needs to be good amounts in case a flush is needed.

The timeframe...by December 2018 they will provide a strategy to the government. There will be more chance for feedback and then the final say will rest with the agricultural ministers!

But wait, there is more! And I kept the good bit until last...the thing that blew me away! Tests showed that 100% of carp injected with the virus died. These tests also showed that a small percentage of carp survived when exposed to infected water. Of course this exposure will be the way it will happen. But this is what amazed me...injected carp died within 6 days. Carp exposed via water keeled over in 8 days! I never thought it would be so quick! And yeah, they acknowledge clean up will be immense...but haven't totally figured that one out yet!
    That's all for now folks!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Hot memory affecting chicks should be banned from these presentations!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    creekboy, AWL, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Very interesting report Jim, there is something about the 'corporate woman' in grey skirt and black stockings that seems to excite me.

Oh yeah, good stuff about the carp virus too.

Jeff :D

creekboy, AWL, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  12. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Thanks very much for the info Bender:cool: Sound's like it was a goodnight all round;)
    Must say i was a bit surprised at how quick it acts too.8 days and dead carp:)

Sounds like there not rushing it,and i'm happy to see the states & fed govt working together on this to hopefully improve our water way's.If it works the mess will be the problem.
    Say the murray is 1800k long and moves at 2kph and they put it in the top.We will have dead carp floating from one end of it to the other 42 days later:eek:

13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I should have pointed out...the virus, if it goes ahead will be released at the mouth of the rivers and allowed to work it's way upstream. I am not sure if the virus is spread via contact between affected carp or whether it is transmitted in the water. I would assume the virus needs a host. I will try and find this out as if it is transmitted via water flow, then it ain't going far if released at the river mouth, unless they slowly introduce it in increments heading upstream.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    TBX's carp virus representative.

14. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    That would be the smart way to do it,but we are talking govt dept's here:mad:
    Also would give the slim chance to flush it all back out to sea,or at least into south aus, if they have an oopsy:eek:
    As far as i know a virus needs a living host to exist to bender:) and is in humans generally spread by contact with a host's body fluids through things like sneezing,kissing and stuff.

Team AWL
    I went out with a nurse for awhile.

15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Here is an interesting article which I haven't read!:cool: But if you scroll down you will see how the virus is spread...mostly from fish contacting each other but it can still be spread via the water. I dare say the virus can survive for a short period in the water.
    https://blog.csiro.au/reclaiming-our-rivers-from-feral-carp/
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    I went out with a carp for a while!

16. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Finally got around to reading it,thanks bender:cool:
    Coming from the csiro at least it gives me a bit more faith that due diligence is being done on this.