1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Carp

Discussion in 'Preparation & Cooking' started by Canfisher, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Canfisher

Canfisher New Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Carps are known to be pests and not common for the table. However I have eaten carp many times and it is tasty and fleshy. Many people catch a big fat carp and kill it. It is easy to scale and clean (chop off the bloody head). Just cut the fish into chunky slices and place into a fry pan with oil. Make sure it becomes golden/brownish and it is hard and crispy on the outside. Simply squeeze some lemon and enjoy. The tastiest part I enjoy is long strips of fat this fish has.

2. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    u can keep your carp, tried it bbq style and tastes like the proverbial

3. xALmoN

xALmoN New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    they're stinky aren't they, reeking of mud.

4. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Each to their own i say,if you want to eat them go for it.

5. sea urchin

sea urchin New Member

Oct 26, 2009
    I tried carp once and only once and the best thing for them is to be turned into fertilizer

6. eldiabloG3

eldiabloG3 Expert Fisher

Oct 28, 2009
    true true fertilizer is great with carp sure may stink but gets ur plants healthy

7. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Very true.If you plant them deep under your garden whole then plant veggies on top they go nuts.The gas from the carp comes up through the ground into the roots and the veggies will reward you.

8. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009

Thats the go , ive got my mates bobcat out at mine for the week and plan on digging us a new veggie patch , I might have to go and hit up yass river again me thinks.

9. DT

DT New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Ive smoked a few carp and there not to bad to eat that way but there still a snoty **** fish

10. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009

Really? tell me how , ive always found em to hard to dry?

hahaha.

I tried eating carp once , a nice healthy river carp purged in fresh water for a few days filleted and marinated overnight cooked the next day and it still tasted like arse.Way to much effort to go to when there are so many more tasty fish out there.Or better stil a big juicy steak or a few lamb chops , yum.

11. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Yep what dave said.

12. DT

DT New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    ive got a smoker made from one of those heavy duty 44 gallon drums wot i did was got it crankin hot with **** loads of coals then filleted the carp left the skin on then laid them on the wire trays and just put green gum leaves over the coals and smoked em for an hour they tasted allrite , me mates didnt no it was carp untill i told them ...lol

13. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    thats sick DT

14. Rusty Can

Rusty Can New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Easy Deep Fried Carp Fillets Recipe

Serves/Makes: 6 Ingredients:
    • 2 pound fresh carp fillets
    • 1 cup milk
    • 1 cup biscuit mix or pancake mix
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • Oil (for deep frying)
    • Lemon wedges
    How to cook Easy Deep Fried Carp Fillets:
    • Remove the skin of the carp and take out all the brownish-redish-colored part of the meat, the "mud vein" discard.
    • Chunk up the rest of the carp fillets. Place carp fillet pieces in a shallow dish. Pour the milk over them and let it stand for half an hour, turning the fillets over once during that time. Stir the salt into the biscuit mix.
    • Take carp fillets out of the milk and pat them into the biscuit mix, covering both sides.
    • Fry carp fillets in deep fryer or in medium hot oil in fry-pan for 5 - 10 minutes until cooked through and browned on both sides. Use tongs or slotted spoon to turn them.
    • Drain on paper towels. Serve with lemon wedges.
    </H3>