1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Circle hooks.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    I use circle hooks a lot for my freshwater bait fishing and have mixed results. I am happy to leave the fish hook themselves. Occasionally fishing for cod I may get one gut hooked. I guess this may be an issue with choosing too small a circle hook.

With carp the circle hooks work really well and I can't remember if I have ever gut hooked a carp. Of course I am not too concerned if I do as I kill them anyway but I do like hooking the carp in the corner of the mouth as it saves time unhooking them...or cutting the line if they swallow the hook.

Yellowbelly...I have had no luck with circle hooks and find they still swallow the hook many times...more times than they get hooked in the corner of the mouth. As with cod, I think I may need to use a slightly larger hook.

A general problem I have is if there are lots of small 'pickers' around, the bait will get cleaned up with no result. Of course this can happen when using standard hooks but believe it is worse when using circles as you can not 'strike' to try and hook the fish so they have plenty of time to 'clean' you up! If I am using shrimp for bait, there can be many dangling opportunities for the fish to pick at. If the bait is more compact, then I think your chances increase.

On the packet of the Black Magic KL circle hooks I use it says to leave the drag on. I guess this means loosen it off a bit more than one would normally have it. I have also purchased some baitrunner reels and will be seeing if they help at all...I think they will.

I am interested in peoples experience with using circle hooks so feel free to share here!
    cheers
    Team Bender

creekboy, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Jim. I have never tried circle hooks, being an old fashioned bloke I still cling to the past, mono line and mustard hooks. Cheers, Lyall.

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I don't use them as much as I should for C&R. I keep forgetting you don't strike when you get a bite, you let them hook themselves. I use size 6 or 8 and with a bit of arthritis in my hands I find it a bit hard to put worms on them. But i'm learning

creekboy, Rod Bender and AJ Fishman like this.
  4. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    I have been using KL exclusively for years, beach and river, leave the drag at normal fighting setting , let the fish load the rod up a bit then lift and wind. Howard.