1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Cod opening!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Yep...coming up to that time of the year when I start a thread about cod season opening in Vic and how I am going to tackle it! Then I have a slack attack and do nothing when the time comes! This year, and for this post, I am going to be a bit more realistic!

The local channel where I fish produce cod...especially when using bait. Therefore of late I have not been bait fishing in there. Some short lure sessions chasing yellas have produced no fish. As I have not disturbed the cod in closed season, I am sort of happy.

When cod season opens, all I am going to do is resume bait fishing in the channels and upsize lures as well. Not too large a lure though as I still want to get a yella on a lure. I want to have a go getting a cod off the surface as well. this will be done in the local river or the creek. That is all!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Keeping it real!

Madfisher, diesel, Wally and 2 others like this.
  2. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Sound's like some winning tactics to me bender:cool:
    Even better if home cooked meals can be sourced nearby:)

Team AWL
    bbq chop's again:(

diesel, Wally, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Cod are lousy eating anyway, why bother. Only my opinion. Cheers, creekboy.

4. Wally

Wally New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Have to agree...

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    It has been a long time since I ate a cod but I didn't think they were too bad. Why bother chasing them? Good question, first of all, I like fishing. Secondly, I release the majority of fish I catch so taste doesn't matter...I even target carp at times! A third reason for me to target them is the fact that the closest waterway that I regularly fish contains more cod than anything else!

All people fish for relaxation...some people appreciate the extra bonus of getting a feed. Whatever floats your boat! If I were to go out chasing a feed, redfin it would be. If I did want a feed, well let's face it, in my case with the way I go at times...I may starve!:cool:
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Will never feed the nation.

creekboy, AJ Fishman, diesel and 3 others like this.
  6. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I think my "home cooked meals" remark may have been taken as though you were going to eat them rather than get parmy's & 3 veg delivered bender:)
    Like yella's the taste can depend a bit on the size of the fish and the water it comes out of.
    I normally end up taking one or two every year in my boat for a feed,generally that messed up by inhaling a lure we cant get out without killing it, cutting off a 6" lure with 2 sets of trebles still stuck down its throat and bleeding from the gills is not gonna work.It might swim away but to what type of death.I prefer to show the fish some respect and make a call.

There is only one native i want to hunt down for a feed/revenge.The trout cod.I don't care what it tastes like, i just wanna eat one of the bait stealing bastards.2 unsuccessful trips to lake sambell and we didn't even catch one:mad:

Team AWL
    Porterhouse & mushys tonight:D

7. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    No misunderstanding...I knew what you meant.:) Murray cod are are the only fish I feel I have to release. Everything else, to be honest, the main reason I release rather than eat is out of laziness as in I can't be bothered cleaning the fish. No big deal except for times at Strathbogie when I release reasonable size redfin which should not be released due to the presence of maccas and bait thieving Trout cod in the area.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Still haven't made the trip to Lake Kerferd yet!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 7:46 PM
  8. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Have caught Cod in the off season as a by catch that have swallowed the lure & had to release them with the lure still in their gut & have always thought what a wast of a fish. The poor thing is probably going to die from not being able to eat. Trying to remove the lure will probably kill it anyway. I think in those circumstances you should be able to take the fish leaving the lure in it`s gut to show a Fishing Inspector if they show up.

As the law stands you have to release them if they are undersize or in the off season. I don`t keep Cod but in those circumstances releasing a fish that is going to die anyway is just a waste.

9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    OK...I know what you mean now...creekboy may have thought you were suggesting to eat them!

You are no doubt correct. Problem with being able to justify an out of season or undersize cod with a lure down it's gob is that any idiot who wants to do the wrong thing can then just shove a lure down the throat of any fish they catch. That is my take on it.
    cheer
    Team Bender
    A bit slow sometimes!

creekboy, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  10. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I think we have all been in that spot ditch.All you can do is try and get it back in while doing the least damage to it.Your right bender idiots would ruin that one (they do it now for media pic's of the lure) but for a different rea$on.

Team AWL
    Faster than bender:)

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.