1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Culling carp.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Madfisher, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I love the lower gorge areas of the Turon, beautifull scenery with stunning cliffs, unfortunelty carp have moved up into this freestone mountain stream with normally crystal clear water.
    Now as you know my first love is fly fishing, and carp offer superb sight fishing in this river with fish up to 20lb to be expected, quite a test on a 6wt trout rod.
    The flow was less then 10ml, so in some places the river was flowing over rock bars, and in other places it goes under the gravel , when it reemerges it very clear and cold.
    Crossed the river and walked up the first hole seeing little activity, at the top of the hole I ciould see mud pluming in the middle of the river,but could not make out the actual fish, then I looked below my feet and could see a smallish fish in about a m of water. Dropped the fly past it, and started a slow retrieve, the line straightened, and I lifted and was on. It had been 12 months since I fished this section of river, and I had forgotten just how strong mountain carp that are used to fighting fast water are. After some hair raising moments as it tried to gain a snag on my side of the river I got the upper hand and landed him, fit fat fish about 6lb.
    Donged him on the head and left him for the goannas, and walked the half k up to next hole.
    Right in the tail I could see a good fish working,but only in the head of a drowned tree, I was tempted to cast right in their, but knew the predictable result, so waited five mins or so till he came out and was facing away from the tree. I fluked a good cast, two feet past him, and a foot in front, done a long slow pull to put the fly in front of the carp, and let it sink, he spots it and basically leaped on the woolly buggar. I set the hook and put on instant side strain to keep him away from the snag. After a very hard and strong fight I slide a 77cm and 11lb carp up the bank.
    I will not bore you with details of other fish caught,but I ended up with 29 landed for the day and walked 3ks one way, a couple more trips and their numbes will be under control again, giving any natives extra food and living space.
    I use a 6wt stalker aire a med fast rod with a wt forward 7 line to load the rod quickly, a a old loomis reel with a good drag. Best fish of the day was the 11lber, also came across a quite friendly red belly who fossicked all round me while I was casting to a carp in the tail of the pool, ended up spooking that one as it was hard to concentrate lol.
    I used woolly buggars in size 8 long shank and also woolly worms will a black glass beads in the same size,both worked well.
    cheers guys.

2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Top report there, Madfisher. 29 less mud marlin in the stream has to be a good result, congratulations on the effort. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209, Madfisher and diesel like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good stuff, Madfisher. That's nice country along the Turon, although I haven't seen the lower gorge area that you speak of, I am familiar with the area to the east of Sofala where I spent a few weeks gold detecting. Definitely some big red bellies along the river.

Jeff :cool:

kev209, Madfisher and creekboy like this.
  4. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Excellent report Pete on another fine outing. 29 carp from that water is an outstanding effort.

Chook

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  5. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Great report and some top work done there Madfisher.

6. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Mate the secret to getting big numbers is to walk away from easy access, as most people are lazy and don't like walking. Once you are a couple of ks from easy access it amazing how much less spooky the carp and trout are for that matter. My pronlem age is starting to catch up to me at 65, still I can still walk the legs off a lot of young blokes with no heart .lol
    I had another fantastic trip on the Abercrombie if you want to hear about it, I will do another report.
    Cheers Pete.

7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm 68 Pete and weather permitting, I like to walk at least 5 kms every day, sometimes I do 10+. Taking a good long walk or an hour or two paddling the kayak are very satisfying activities, especially when you add fishing to the mix.

Jeff :cool:

kev209, creekboy and Madfisher like this.
  8. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Sure are mate, my Angina is slowing me down a bit,but If In take it steady I get their. Losing about 8kg wouldn't hurt either.

9. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I am 74, and starting to feel it. I think it is about time for a change to a more comfortable location on a flat block not a mountain side. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 and Madfisher like this.