1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

electric transom mounts

Discussion in 'Boats' started by keegan, Apr 7, 2010.

1. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    gday all i am thinking of gettin an electric for my tinne i have a v nose flat bottomed punt. i was just wonderin if anyone has any advice on which one i should get. i want a transom mount as i do not have a casting deck

2. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Transom mounts are pretty average mate, and most bow mounts will mount onto the front of your boat without a casting deck.
    It will just be right at the bow on the flat bit of metal that is there to reinforce it, you might have to cut off a railing and that's it.
    The problem with transom mounts is that the wind can just push you every way, a bow mount means you never have that problem.
    Minn Kota are the go, you can pick one up for a bit over a grand and then save up and get the new ipilot when it comes out :p

3. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    ok thaanks how log are the leads to the foot pedal usually?

4. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Long enough for the average tinny mate :p My advice would be go have a look before you buy, make sure it will all fit and then buy it

5. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    the cords are 6mt

6. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    yeah i will have i might still need a transom for fishing places like belfield

7. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    how big a battery would i need?

8. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    im not to sure about deep cycle batterys i think anything over 90 amp will be fine the larger the number the longer they last.

my uncle owns a wreckers so i just use car/truck batterys

9. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    ok were do you reckon i could get a good priced second hand one from

10. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    would a jarvis watersnake be any good

11. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    i have not looked my self but i recon your best bet would be on forums like this, or maybe ask a marine shop if they will sell you one second hand?

i helped my oldman do a tip run a few weeks back they had 2nd hand batteries for sale there so they might be a place to look to (not sure if they were deep cycle, car or truck just noticed them

12. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    do they just screw down onto the front of the boat

13. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    just my personel experiance with them:

i had a bow mount salt water one first trip was awesome worked a treat.

2nd 3rd 4th and 5th trip something went wrong with it, i fixed it my self every time but something brand new out of the box should not break so soon.

on the last trip i lost one of th buttons in the drink so i could not claim under warrenty :(

but since then i got a min kota, ive had that for maybe 10 trips it has not missed a beat not to mention the auto pilot when trolling.

they are better if they are screwed onto a quick release bracket so you down need to undo any botls if you want to take it off. they go on the jarvis walker and min kota's im not sure about motorguide's.

Jarvis Walker - Australia's largest fishing tackle distributor#

Minn Kota Electric Motor RTA 17 Quick Release Bracket - eBay Motors, Engines, Parts, Parts, Accessories, Boats, Watercraft, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 04-May-10 17:19:26 AEST)

14. stormboy

stormboy New Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Dont buy a car battery for the electric as they will only last about 3 hours, if that. Spend the extra and get a Deep cycle marine or a AGM. I have just bought a Jarvis Walker Water Snake 55lb Bow mount. Haven't really tested it out yet but seems to do the job I want. i just fitted mine to the bow Plate with a Quick release bracket. The other option would be to have a bow plate welded on. Below is a pic of how ours looks.

http://www.tacklebox.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1123&stc=1&d=1270636666

Hope this helps.

Cheers Nigel

15. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    so the bow mounts still work well for trlling as long as ther got the long lead just sit down and control it from the back

16. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    both my JW and MK had 6mt cables for the foot controls... just make sure you leave the transom motor in the water as you will find that the rear of the boat tried to overtake you

17. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    ok o it will spinn around to th front?

18. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    yeah i guess it wont happen as much with a v bottom hull but on vnose punts the motor in the water just stablizes the boat.

19. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    ok one of the lakes up here you cant have the outboard on your boatat all is thre anything else ya could use

20. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    not sure mate its not uncontrolable its just annoying