1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Engel or Waeco? or possibly something else.

Discussion in 'Camping, Carravanning & 4x4' started by Jordo, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Jordo

Jordo New Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Im currently on the market for a new portable fridge at the moment. The new engel 38L has caught my eye and for a reasonable price but just wondering what anyone else knows about which is a beeter product or anything.

2. Doodah

Doodah New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Engel are the best mate. A little bit more expensive, but worth it. I have 2x 60l and a 40l. My old man bought the 60 and 40 in 1982 and they are still going strong, even after 14 trips to the territory in the back of a 60 series cruiser to fish the run off. The 2nd 60 I purchased about 6 years ago. Now the 40 lives in the boat and the 2x 60's are the fridge and freezer at camp. I also like how the Engel's don't have a big power pack like the Waeco's, just a normal lead for either 240 or 12v.
    I think EvaKool are just releasing a new 55(??) litre 12v/24v/240v fridge/freezer that retails for about $750. It has a 2 year warranty, and looks like a Waeco. Only thing I dont like is the compressor is a unit made in China.

3. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi
    Check out www.bushman.com.au/ They are unreal and very energy efficient.You can add a stacker and increase capacity.
    Cheers

4. Jordo

Jordo New Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Thanks fellas but i think im gonna go a new engel 38L if me and the old man get 2 through a mate of his we a can get them for less than retail.

5. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Ive got a 18 litre waeco and have had nothing but good service from it.A few of the waeco have suffered thermostat problems.

6. adampatric

adampatric New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Weaco and Engel are by far the market leaders in portable fridge, freezer and cooler units.
    One thing that constantly amazes us is that some customers come in and are only interested in the Waeco brand and others will only look at the Engel range of products. There is no clear "Best brand to buy" listening to our customers.

7. cod adventurer

cod adventurer New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    fridge

I do agree that the older shape engel are a great fridge I have two and the jury is still out on the new model Its got thirty years of reliability to live up to
    just dont let a engel bounce while running it knocks a spring out of place inside the swing motor Always secure it down.
    I also have an autofridge an aussie fridge running the time proven german danfos compressor It is a eutectic fridge really worth the extra kanga works a little different as does not try to cool during the heat of the day therefore can run on very low daily amps in most situations does not require a second battery system unless leangthy stays are the norm and a genny is not in use i run mine 2 -3 hours evening then about the same in the morning before the days heat sets in holdover temp is well below 4 deg it will also freeze and run as a cyclic fridge if deired.
    Check them out most states have several outlets
    I have 15 years on the 1st one no problems just purchased the bigger 70 litre version and got a great price for the oldy 39litre on ebay

8. TheCount

TheCount New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Quick question with the fridges - do you leave them powered up when you get home?? My father in law is adamant that if you don't it will stuff the compressor so I am keen to hear what happens for you. . .

TC.

9. cod adventurer

cod adventurer New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    The answer to that would be no as its not nessesary unless you wanted it to chill It is not recomended to run a fridge empty either
    It is also recomended to run the fridge for 1/2 hour every month or so to circulate the oil as it can sit in one place over time
    If your still in doubt contact the maker of the fridge i doubt they will disagree with me

10. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I take my 18L everywhere.I have a 110 amp hour deep cycle batt i use in camp.This with a solar panel has powered my fridge for 8 days.

11. Jordo

Jordo New Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Thanks for all you help guys! I bought a 40 litre model, bit more than i wanted to spend but it was way worth it. the new model seems just too flimsy i think, all plastic yeah not suited for the conditions of far western qld and nsw where i take it shearing but yeah had the 40 litre for a week now and it keeps the cokes cold and the beers colder, left it on in the cruiser all day and it didnt even phase the battery either, even though i have duals it only runs off one and yeah its great.

12. BIG GUN

BIG GUN New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    who do you shear for

13. Jordo

Jordo New Member

Dec 28, 2009
    when i go out west i shear for batemans, and the rest of the time i shear for geoff cullen or do cocky sheds. i only ususally go west at the start of the year til around april but