1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Fishing Maps + Underwater Maps

Discussion in 'Electronics & Gizmos' started by skinnee, Aug 28, 2009.

1. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    If anyone is interested in an inland topographic map for their area to run on a lowrance GPS/Sounder let me know.

If anyone logs their fishing and is interested in having a look at the bottom of the water you fish let me know, have attached an example of a trolling run i do.

2. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    does this only run on the above mentioned sounder?

3. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Depends on what data is shown in the logfile and the format.

1. The topo map will show on your gps/sounder (not shown). This map is similiar to street GPS map that comes with gps. For more info on the map visit http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/ . The maps are good quality and free!

2. The 3d map (shown above) wont show as a map, but can be viewed if your sounder can show image files e.g. jpg files.

3. The 3d map can be shown as 2d contours on the topo map or as a separate map. Useful for marking nav points for trolling/casting. If you sounder can import gpx files (waypoints) then it may work.

I have a lowrance sounder so only know the map creation works on that. I think eagle is the same.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  4. hazmail

hazmail New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Good find 'shinnee', I might be able to use this. Thanks .pete

5. fish_cast

fish_cast Lure Caster

Dec 13, 2008
    Hi Skinnee
    This sounds interesting, many thanks for sharing your work. I downloaded the maps from the shonkymaps website but need some guidance about how to proceed.
    i run a HDS 7 so i assume that the process you have developed will work on that unit.
    Any advice greatly appreciated
    regards
    Graham

6. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    pm sent mate

7. fish_cast

fish_cast Lure Caster

Dec 13, 2008
    Shonkeymaps for Lowrance

Hi Skinnee
    Many thanks for sharing this map making info - I have now created a map that sits on my Lowrance showing Lake mulwala shoreline - something I have been trying to do for quite a while

Graham

8. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    This thread sparked my interest so I had a bit of play with some of the recordings I have.

Here is a depth map of a stretch of water I recorded. Nice and handy to find those holes.

[​IMG]

EDIT: And the map overlaid on Google Earth

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  9. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    hmmm, i want a toy like your john, or you could just take ne to them deep holes ;)

10. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    You show me yours and I'll show you mine :D:D:D

11. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    :lol::lol::lol: ill skipper the next trip mate ;)

12. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    No probs Buck :)

13. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Here is another variation on the water contour map in colour. The white areas are where I haven't driven the boat over yet.

[​IMG]

14. PhilR

PhilR New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Fantastic stuff & thanks to skinnee for showing us the way to do this. Been looking for something like this for at least 12 months. Thanks to fish-cast also for the details. Phil

15. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi Skinnee and other TBX ers.
    So cool to read this post as I was lookin' thru an old Fishfinder mag. that had a site seain 3d but can't seem to bring it up on the net.Can you use this for coastal waters etc showing reefs and pinnacles as Iv'e been trying to track them down on Garmin East Coast dig. mapping where there are rises in depths etc,but its not as accurate.
    any info would be appreciated.
    Cheers

16. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    This will work in any water area. The trick is to record your GPS/Sounder log data when you are in fishing in the area (or get someone else to do it).

17. fish_cast

fish_cast Lure Caster

Dec 13, 2008
    Problems with Dr Depth program

Hi Tbxers
    I have just loaded Dr Depth program and worked through the demos. The program stops responding when I try to import a sonar log file from the Lowrance HDS 7. I have restarted the computer and read through the help section - but to no avail.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks

Graham

18. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Hi Graham, Do you get an error message or does the program crash?

I find if you convert a large file, it can take a while and the program looks like it has frozen. After a while it finishes and all is good.

If the program is crashing, then you may need to run it by the guy that made the program.

19. fish_cast

fish_cast Lure Caster

Dec 13, 2008
    Hi John
    The file is about 10Mb and the program shows as "Not responding" when I start the import. I left it trying to recover for some time then shut the program down. This was repeated on three times, then I restaqtred thre computer - not that it made any difference.
    I will give it another try this time leaving it for as long as needed to be sure that it not just the large file.
    Many thanks for your help
    Regards
    Graham

20. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    10Mb is a fairly small file (I've done 1.2 Gb files) to convert so it should process that in a couple seconds. I think you may need to troubleshoot your problem with the DrDepth guy.