1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

fishing spots 2 hours out of ballarat

Discussion in 'Regional Areas' started by jaygore, Nov 25, 2009.

1. jaygore

jaygore New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    as we all know ballarat is dry as a bone and no where decent to fish, I try cosgroves but only catch tiny little redfin, although i was talking to a guy there who said that he his mate seen a massive trout swimming along the dam wall there, and there ahve been a few massive ones spotted although they havent stocke it much lately so there would only be a few trout and they are said to be massive.

Also tried lake jubilee, had no luck there on the weekend, was there for 3 hours and there were people everywhere, and only 2 people caught some trout but they were quite small and no good.

So im loking for some decent fresh water lakes or rivers/creeks about 2 hours from ballarat to go fishing in, want to be able to catch some decent size fish, so any ideas would be great

2. chicky

chicky New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Theres a few lakes up around Stawell and Ararat with some water in ,they get some nice reddies and trout there ,also some nice creeks out around Linton with trout in also .good luck.

3. jaygore

jaygore New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    o k thanks, do you know of any specific creeks ou3t linton way that would have some decent trout fishing?

4. mitchmcm

mitchmcm Member

Feb 2, 2010
    i used to live in arrarat and in alexander lake there are trout and near stawell is cato lake trout. streams near halls gap mackenzie creek trout redfin black fish. there is lake wartook and bellfield which has fyans creek flowing into it trout redfin. the wimmera river near river side catfish redfin yellas (horsahm). wimmera near arrarat near mountain has trout also hope that helps;)

5. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    i think that lake purrembete and bullen merri is around 2 /2.5hours from Ballarat, they are stocked every year with bass trout and salmon.

have you tried Wombat dam? thats near jubilee. there is trout and reddies in there, although it is closed from the fires u can still have a go there. i was there about a month ago it was 100% i got 2 reddies and a small trout.

Edit: would fish Purrembete before Bullen Merri, Bullen Merri still has not recovered from the fish kill properly.

6. CodTaimer

CodTaimer Wicko

Feb 8, 2009
    I just drove from Ballarat to Canberra over two nights and did fishing along the way.
    I thought between Shepparton- Benella-wangaratta all looked good but 3-4hours away.
    I liked the Ovens river, fished it at wangaratta and yarrawonga but about 4hrs for you.
    Hope you find somewhere closer surely someone will help you out.

7. mitchmcm

mitchmcm Member

Feb 2, 2010
    did you get anything codtaimer

8. trippy

trippy New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    jaygore , i have had a bit of success at both Wombat Creek res. & also Bullarto . they are not far from u . just near Daylesford.
    cheers
    trippy

9. CodTaimer

CodTaimer Wicko

Feb 8, 2009
    I got 2, 50 and 60cm MC on bait at Ovens river about 20km b4 Yarrawonga from Wangaratta.
    The River dropped half a foot over night and was quite in the morning so i moved on

10. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    half a foot over night! do you know why it done this? i stayed at copeton last year when they were letting megalitres upon megalitres of water out i stayed 2 nights and it dropped about 3 feet. large dead yabbies were caught in the weed which was now out of the water and died we found dozens of big yabbies which had been trapped and cooked by the heat.

11. CodTaimer

CodTaimer Wicko

Feb 8, 2009
    Im not too familiar with the area and the local enviroment, but if their is a weir or dam it near by it would be fairly common id think. I was also there a week after heavy rain so the river would naturally be on the drop flowing into Mulwala my bet is. (well atleast i think it flows into and not out of Mulwala???) Its not a big part of the river so highs and lows would happen fairly often my bet is.
    But like i said im not that familar with the area