1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Fishing walker aid

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Wally, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Wally

Wally New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    image.jpeg

Finding things hard with arthritis in both knees this is my last resort before having to give fishing away. My biggest problem is balance I fell over yesterday in the chock yard in one of their ruddy holes twenty minutes rolling to a fence to pull myself up. When I am down getting one twenty five kgs up is lmpossible unless I can crawl up some object.
    Anyway I tipped the bag of woods and irons back into the shed and put my bucket on to buggy works well it tips straight when I walk with it and tips back when it stands. So it carrys my gear and gives me a seat and helps the balance. It is great in rough bush it is the 4wd in golf buggys. I bought it 58 years ago I was told to buy it because the 9 inch wheels had ball bearings
    Wally

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Madfisher, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I like it Wally, I'm a huge supporter of DIY projects and over the years I have constructed various trolleys that I used for jetty fishing. Whenever I thought that I had engineered and built the ultimate in gear transporters, I would see one that put mine to shame.

I always labelled them with model numbers based on the chronological order of build dates. My last one was the Mark 5 model complete with seat, led light for night missions and twin stubby holders. Unfortunately, it was stolen by some lowlife the last time I was in South Oz.

Mate, 58 years out of a golf buggy is impressive - it goes to show that they made them to last back then.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Jeff :cool:

creekboy, Master Baiter and kev209 like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Do what you have to do Wally! Do you have a mobile phone with you all the time in case of mishaps? If not, best you get one. In regards to going fishing, keep going as long as you can. Do you go with someone else? If you struggle at times...it is a good idea not to be alone.
    Cheers
    Jim

creekboy, AWL, diesel and 2 others like this.
  4. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Great advice Jim, I've been a bit crappy lately, on Friday I was sorting out a few things in the spare room, I bent over to pickup a sheet of paper and over I went. Lyn had a few words to say before helping me up. We went for a bit of a fish with our son and his partner yesterday, I was still a bit sore and unsteady on my feet, and my walking stick is no bloody help when fishing. So having a look at an alternative later this week. Almost forgot, Son 1 reddie, 1 brown both on soft plastics, and another Donut for me

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Active Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Hi Jeff, I am not exactly new I am on the forum as a member twice may be Kev can fix it up to one for me. The buggy was about 20 pound a bit pricey then. I like your stubby holder idea.
    Hi Jim, no I fish alone my Fishing mate of a few years died just over a year ago with cancer battled with chemo for over 10 years had good days and bad days never complained I watched him go down hill. The worst thing that I have ever faced was coming out of oncology myself and told I would not need to go back for year and so happy. As we came out an ambulance pulled up and in it was my mate he was excited they were going to try radiology for him. But that night he said to me they have buried me nothing they can do, he died about 3 months later I was shattered. I see him all the time when I fish. but I do have a mobile phone and only fish in easy areas now .
    Wally

6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The name Wally should have clicked with me - doh!!! o_O

I can relate to losing a good fishing mate. For decades I went away fishing each year to remote locations with a group of old school mates. A bar girl at the old Berrimah Pub (long gone) in Darwin labelled us the Gutter Gang after seeing the 5 of us sitting in the gutter one morning waiting for the pub to open. The name stuck and we were even known in a couple of fishing camps in PNG. Unfortunately, time took its toll, health and disability issues claimed them all except me - I became the last man standing and when I sit around thinking about them, I realise how much I miss their company.

I've said it before and will probably say it again - it's not nice growing old.

creekboy, AWL and kev209 like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Forgot to add a pic of a trolley. This was the upgraded Mark 3, worked well on the jetty, but not so good in the soft stuff. I didn't get any pics of my later models.

116) Trolleyman.JPG

creekboy, AWL and kev209 like this.
  8. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    You ain't kiddin Jeff

diesel and creekboy like this.
  9. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    X2. Cheers, creekboy.