1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

flat bottom boats

Discussion in 'Boats' started by shan, Mar 21, 2009.

1. shan

shan New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    g'day im lookin for a cheap boat to get out on the murray and some people have told me that punts/flat bottom boats are unstable and useless.. just wondering if theres any truth to this as they are cheap and ive only got about 1500-to play with

some help would be great cheers SHAN

2. greenfish

greenfish New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Flat bottom punts are hardly useless, they are terrible in a heavy chop or swell but on a river with very little problems with ski boats etc they are ideal for cod fishing, they are stable at rest and you can stand and move about easily in them, the flat nose versions have a bloody hard ride into any waves but a V nose punt although not teffific is not to bad..
    Just look out for riveted hulls leaking like a sieve and metal mice activity in general..

cheers

3. shan

shan New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    cheer man but what do u mean by metal mice activity do you mean rust corrosion

thanks heaps SHAN

4. greenfish

greenfish New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Yep, corrosion!!

cheers

5. coat

coat New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Yeah i have a duckpunt and rate it quite highly.. Virty has one also that he has decked out a bit a is a real winner.. It is a great boat to fish from.. If you got a electric and a second hand boat you should get change from a grand.. i would go for a 12 foot model though... cheers PILKO

6. Andezn

Andezn New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Where did you hear about the punts being unstable?
    what did you do in the end?

7. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Punts are good mate.If a old fat bastard like me can stand up in one its safe enough.Only time i would be worried or unstable would be in high wind on lakes.

8. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    i love punts mate i got one and ist more stable than a v botttom boat the lower sides i lik more aswell

9. TomtButters5

TomtButters5 Just one more cast

Nov 30, 2009
    I got a 12ft flat bottom punt, one of the best investments iv made i reckon, i find that we have loads of room and is quite stable, easily able to stand up and cast lures around, excellent in rivers and lakes, we bought it for 600 bucks including trailer and motor, it had relatively short sides on it which just makes for easier fishin :lol:

10. mitchmcm

mitchmcm Member

Feb 2, 2010
    i was on a friends v nosed punt on a windy lake and it was very stable i think

11. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    i have a little 8'explorer and it is a fish magnet. two fat, drunk fellas can fish out of it no worries.

disclaimer: it is legal to be drunk and in control of a boat in the nt.

12. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Disclaimer not needed.You would need to be drunk to jump in a 8foot tinny anywhere up there mate.

13. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    exactly :D

14. mitchmcm

mitchmcm Member

Feb 2, 2010
    how deep in the water does the 8'' sit.

15. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    you cant go wrong with them aslong as you dont head out into open water when the wind picks up ( can be very scary ) . I have a 10ft punt and when the wind is kind three blokes can stand and cast no worries.

cheers

16. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    i have never really looked but it wouldn't be more then 50mm

17. TomtButters5

TomtButters5 Just one more cast

Nov 30, 2009
    our 12 ft punt sits, about 50mm in the water, is really good

18. Phrozius

Phrozius New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Geez i wish I could score myself a deal like that!!

All I ever see for sale in my area is over priced v-hull tinnies and all i ever see on the damns are flat bottom punts :(

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010