1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Fly fishing from the bank.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    A question regarding fly fishing. I hope to try it on carp at some stage in the local channels. Many fly fishos I see wade so when they strip line of it is in the water. So how would that work on the bank? Is the line likely to tangle in grass or be picking up dirt/prickles etc?

One guy told me some people will have a bucket on their waist and feed the line into that. I am not that keen! I'm guessing if you are not fishing on a manicured lawn you are going to have trouble.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jim

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    A lot of fly fishermen use a figure 8 retrieve, but you would need a bit of tuition for that one. I used to do a bit of unweighted hopper fishing on a fly rod but using 2-4lb line. Most of the casts were not much more than the 8ft rod, so not much of a problem. Cheers creekboy.

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    When I was a kid I would go fishing with my late father and his mate who was a mad fly fisho, on one trip to the king parrot he layed his jacket on the ground and stripped his line onto that. That was the first time I had seen anyone fly fishing and thought bugger that its to hard. And yes he did catch a couple of trout.

creekboy and Rod Bender like this.
  4. westyonline

westyonline death to the mud guzzlers

Nov 24, 2009
    I have never really been bothered by it, yes you get a few tangles in the branches, but that all part of it
    I use a William Joseph retractable stripping basket belt for fishing off the rocks in salt water, but have never thought to use it when chasing carp, as the line out tends to be a lot less when flying for carp than salt fly fishing!
    I got my WJ belt off ebay for about $50 posted, they sometimes get a few come through, keep your eye out for them, they are a great bit of kit

Attached Files:

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I let the line lay on the water if wading. NOTE; that only works with floating lines. If using a sinking line I loop it in my left hand; I cast right handed. A sinking line won't come up out of the water quickly. When walking the shore sight fishing I have it figure of eight, in my hand and a fast cast can be made if needed. I don't know why they call it figure of eight. It's actually just folded into the hand. Carrying line looped in your hand is a pain in the butt if there's a few blackberries or sticks around, as there usually is, and I long ago stopped using that method. There are not too many perfect places out there in the real world. It's easy to do, carrying it in hand can be practised at home, but a little tension on the line as in retrieving helps . The knack is using your little finger to bend the line while you rock the hand back and forth, and it's quite fast to pick up slack line. One guy I know won't do it as he says the line goes out looking like a zipp fastener. I'm not so pedantic, and have fished that way for so many years I've forgotten. There's been many a fish taken because I could hit the water with a fly while others were still starting to strip line from a reel. Old fisho.

kev209, Madfisher and Rod Bender like this.
  6. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Jim I have been flyfishing since 1976, and I don't think its that big a problem, if the carp are uneducated a simple bow and arrow cast is all you often need. I got one over 10lb in Wyangala on sunday by tea bagging. that is simply lowering the fly in front of her. she was that preoccupied with feeding she never noticed me. The only time I ever 3wade is when fishing lakes with muddy shores, and that is purely to keep the line clean, or upstream nymphing for trout in gravel streams like the Turon. the only time I have trouble with the flyline laying on the ground is when you are near blackberries.
    Also have a look on you tube for the Carp lodge series of videos, lots of very good info on catching carp on fly.
    good luck mate, cheers Pete

Old fisho and Rod Bender like this.
  7. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    An add-on.

Jim, I've caught many fish on fly, from carp to trout, salmon, tailer, flathead, northern snapper, barra, and a few others, even garfish. A large percentage have been hooked with little more than a rod's length of line in use, so you shouldn't be too concerned.

kev209, Madfisher and Rod Bender like this.