1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Four Days at Lake Keepit

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Ditch, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Had planned to head to Lake Keepit near Gunnedah last Friday but had to delay buy a day as a weather front moved in. Loaded up the vehicle & boat on Saturday morning & left after lunch for the 1 hour trip to Matthews Reserve, about halfway along the dams western foreshore. The wind was still blowing pretty strong from the south east, right up the main body of the dam making the water pretty choppy.

Lake Keepit was completed in 1954 & has been well stocked with Murray Cod, Golden & Silver Perch as well as Eel-Tailed Catfish. It was at 60% capacity holding 260000 megalitres of water.

Launched the boat & set up camp & waited for the wind to drop so I could head out to do some trolling around the timber chasing some Golden Perch. The wind died down a bit around 4:30 so I headed to a bay that was a bit protected from the swell & started trolling just off the bank in around 8 meters of water. Was not long before I got my first strike & hookup, just a Carp which was dispatched. Turned around & did another run through the same spot & hooked up another Carp. Thought great, going to be one of those days!.

Seemed to be a few fish showing up on the finder so I did another pass & had a good hit going past a tree. Grabbed the rod & tightened the drag & set the hook. I`d say it was a large Cod, it gave one big tail flick & my rod broke at the base. Luckily the reel fell into the boat & I was able to grab the line. By that time the fish had dislodged the lure. The rod was a 5 foot Shimano with a pistol grip that I had been using for Golden Perch for nearly 30 years, not really made for large Cod!. Disappointing to lose it, but on the bright side a good excuse to buy a new one!. Pity they don`t make that model anymore.

[​IMG]

While I was sorting that out a Carp took my other lure while it was sitting stationary on top of the water, never had that happen before.

The wind had died down by that time so I trolled back to camp as the sun was setting without anymore fish taking a lure.

[​IMG]

Up at first light Sunday morning, packed the esky & headed to a spot known as the 3 Inlets, a spot that usually yields some fish along the steep banks. The wind had picked up again during the night & the water was a bit choppy & having no luck I headed back to the area I had fished the day before. Tried casting Jackals around the timber & managed to land a couple of juvenile Cod which were released. Trolled the area where the rod broke again for an hour or so with no luck, so headed back to camp.

Went back out around 4:30 pm, trolling around the timber near the camp, hooking another small Cod. Seemed that the Golden Perch I was targeting were a bit quiet. I thought with the barometer rising they would have been a bit more active.

[​IMG]

Bit of a late start on Monday morning, didn`t get out until 8:00 am & trolled for a couple of hours with no luck. Not many other boats on the water either which was surprising for that time of year. Went back out at midday for another try, weather was fine & the water was like glass, perfect for trolling, but still no fish.

Tried again at sunset with no luck & decided to try a bit of bait. Found a suitable tree & tied up, put a live shrimp on & sat back & waited. 20 minutes later I had a nibble, then the rod bent over. grabbed it & set the hook. landed a nice 45 cm Golden Perch. Finally had a fish in the bag!.

Had to be home before lunch on Tuesday so headed out early. Had a few shrimp left over so went back to the same tree as the day before. Baited up & sat back with a coffee. Only had to wait 10 minutes & caught a nice 42 cm Golden Perch. Nothing else after that, tried around a few more trees with no luck. Had a troll for an hour, still no fish so headed back to camp & packed up to head home.

Even though the fish were not really biting it was great to be out on the water for a few days. At least I managed to land a couple of fish for a feed. I used to fish this dam once a week several years ago & knew were to find the fish.

[​IMG]

This is only the second time in 5 years I`ve been back, so I might need a few more trips to get onto them again. Not that I need an excuse to go fishing, but that is as good as any!

2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Good to see somebody getting out and catching a feed. Nice eating size too. great pics as well. Cheers, creekboy,

diesel, kev209 and Ditch like this.
  3. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Don`t often have to resort to using bait but sometimes you got to what you have got to do to get a feed! Had one for lunch yesterday, fed 3 of us!

Cheers, Ditch

4. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Great report & pic's there Ditch:cool: Bad luck about your rod,but at least you ended up with a couple of nice yella's for your troubles.
    Nice looking set up you have there.

5. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Thanks AWL, at least I came home with some fish this time, the family was starting to doubt my fishing abilities! Spend a bit of time out camping, fishing 4wding & such so a quick & sturdy setup is the go. Less time setting up camp & more time for the important things!

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I like the roof top tent:cool: it does make setting up camp nice and easy,especially if your bedding is already in it. I've got a 2nd hand one that i am going to mount on my boat trailer one day when i get around to it.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Mine has been on my Patrol for 7 years & over 170,000 kms. Been set up hundreds of times. Bedding is packed up inside apart from the pillows as I sometimes just use a swag if the weather is good. 10 minutes to set up & around 20 to pack up & it does not matter what the ground beneath you is like, unlike a tent.

Mounting it on your boat trailer is a good idea. Mate has one mounted on his Dirt Bike trailer for weekends away. The only downside I have found is once it is set up on a vehicle you can`t go anywhere until you pack up.

One of the best investments for touring & camping that I have made.

AWL, creekboy, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good report, Ditch. Shame about the broken rod - those pistol grip rods are hard to find these days, I don't think any of the major manufacturers make them anymore.

I had a 6' 2-4 kg pistol grip Ugly Stik for many years and it was fun to use. I cleaned out my shed a couple of years ago and gave it to my mate who doesn't fish nowadays due to health issues, but collects old fishing gear and puts a lot of time and effort into refurbishing. He showed me the Ugly Stik after he had finished a complete makeover of it and it looked brand new again. I asked if he would consider selling it back to me and he muttered something that was about sex and travel :D.

Good pics, by the way.

Jeff :cool:

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  9. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Thanks Jeff, originally bought that rod & a centrespin reel to use casting bait for Trout years ago. Caught a lot of fish on that rod now I think back. Had a lot more control with the pistol grip than with the strait shaft rods, could put a lure or bait right where I wanted. Have not seen one in a shop for a long time, as you said I don`t think they make them anymore.

On the upside..........time for a new rod!. :)

Madfisher, AWL, diesel and 3 others like this.
  10. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I bought one recently for the grandkids. made by Synergy, it's 2-4kg rated and 5'6" long.

diesel, creekboy, Ditch and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Thanks for that bit of info I will have to check it out.

Cheers, Ditch

kev209, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I googled synergy rods, found heaps in USA on Ebay. At the end of the page is a list of other synergy pages; one was listed as au, so went there and found local ones. Check it out. Noel.

kev209, Ditch and creekboy like this.
  13. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Thanks Noel, had a look on the net & found a model made by Shakespeare that I like.

http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-ro...21958.1509575587-437641307.1509409730#start=1

Just have to find an Australian stockist - I`ve sent an email to my local tackle shop to see if they can get them. Difficult to shop for a new rod when the closest tackle shop is 100 km away!

Cheers,Ditch.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks, good to hear Ditch. In the meantime I'll have a yarn with my fishing mate. He has an account with a wholesaler. Just might be able to help

creekboy, Ditch, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    creekboy, Ditch and kev209 like this.
  16. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    How many wives would love to have that problem

creekboy, diesel, Ditch and 1 other person like this.
  17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Perhaps, but look at the fun when you actually got there.

creekboy, diesel, Ditch and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    creekboy and kev209 like this.
  19. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I can relate to that. We have a BCF in our local town, Emerald, 50 kms away and they cater for a lot of the gear I need (see 'want' - same thing) but if I really need to shop for the top shelf hard to get stuff, I've got a 700 km round trip to Rockhampton.

I usually do a couple of trips to Rocky each year for the sole purpose of visiting Barra Jacks tackle shop. I drop SWMBO off at the big Stockland shopping centre so that she can do the rounds of the girlie shops and I head for the tackle shop for an hour or two. Just writing about it makes me want to jump in the car and go tackle shopping - can't think of anything that I urgently need, but when did that stop a man from buying more gear?

Jeff :cool:

creekboy, AWL, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    He tells me he is most willing to supply, but of course there's a shipping cost. It seems he normally sells a bit over half rrp. But I note the rod is only about $40. However, this info may be of interest to others as well. Let me know and I'll check about handing out his email address. I'll have a yarn to him about joining TBX, then people can contact him direct perhaps. I use one of his Flueger rods and it does a great job. Our son has some of his stuff too.

People can check gear on the supplier's website and let him know what is wanted. Noel.

creekboy, AWL, kev209 and 2 others like this.