1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Fuel Gauge

Discussion in 'Boats' started by rene_bell, Feb 23, 2010.

1. rene_bell

rene_bell Member

Aug 27, 2005
    :confused:Hi fellas i have a 400 bass elite,it has the fuel tank under the floor and im wondering if you can get fuel gauges for this type,it is a stainless steel tank in the center of the floor,when i bought the boat i was told it was a 40 lt tank and after pulling the floor up today there is no way it is that big well at least i dont think so id say 25lt to 30 lt,
    any help guys as im not to switched on about these sorts of things
    its a 40 mercury 4 stroke motor
    thanks jas

2. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Hey Jas, do you have a sounder in it mate? If you do you might be able to get it as an accessory.
    If you give me your sounder model number then I can look it up work tomorrow to see if you can get a gauge that goes through your sounder.

Cheers,

Sam

3. yellafella

yellafella the hammock camper!

Nov 30, 2009
    if not you can get sonic gauge to there about 200 i think work on the same principals as a sounder

4. Doodah

Doodah New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Did you have a yarn to the boys at Mac's??
    I have a mate here in Moree who makes aluminium fuel tanks, I will ask him where he gets his fuel gauges from. Or you could call quintrex and get an electronic one from them. Only need to cut a hole about 3 or 4 inches across, seal it, rivet it, and wire it up.

5. cod adventurer

cod adventurer New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    I have a 435 hornet trophy had all sorts of greif I was told it was 65 litres only the guage showed empty at about 20 litres out
    not only was it placed in the shallow part of the tank it only reached halfway down at that No wonder it read empty at 1/4 tank
    Anyway i chased a fuel sender from around the world
    found one in italy only there agent was in new zealand when it arived it was the wrong ohm resistance so i had to change the guage as well
    GOOD ONE QUINTREX SHOULD HAVE DONE THE JOB RIGHT THE FIRST TIME INSTEAD OF CALLING IT A SAFETY FEATURE ITS MY LAST FACTORY BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The simple answer is it would be realy easy to instal a fuel guage
    1st thing is to find out if your tank has a baffle in it If so find out where the baffle is
    ensure that the tank is empty flushed with detergent alowed to vent in the sun for a while Then refilled with water to avoid an explosion
    I have seen a empty tank kill someone so take no chances or shortcuts find a good flat surface at the deepest part of the tank
    Then using a HAND DRILL NOT A ELECTRIC ONE drill a whole about at the deepest part of the tank making sure that the baffle is missed by a few inches
    measure the depth then order a sender and guage from your local auto electrician or marine electrician most are only like a tube with a flange on it and a float that runs up and down the tube the wiring is very easy
    power to the guage + light if wanted as well then two wires to the sender this is a circuit that has a variable resister( the sender)All the guages i have seen are very clearly marked what goes where
    when you get the sender unit home make a tempplate of the base of the sender place the template over the hole you have made drill the screw holes smaler than the self tapping screws of course enlarge the center hole so the guage can be fitted using the gasket supplied fit the guage
    A good time now to check the fitting for leaks using your water hose apply a bit of pressure to the tank NOT TOO MUCH If all is well drain the water from the tank refit it to the boat And if in any doubt about the wiring get a trademan to wire the guage Not real hard
    good luck
    If you run a lowrance you may also get it to interface with the fuel guage
    handy but no nessesary

6. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    does aluminium spark?
    should be ok for drilling holes with any drill just take it slow and keep the cap off so it has a vent and make sure its empty. As for the gauge why not start it from empty and fill at the bowser and see how much it takes. you can allways use the fuel in the car if it doesnt work, for daily use just use a stick in the inspection hole and if it doesnt have one make one

7. cod adventurer

cod adventurer New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    aluminium and stainless do carry static
    But what about the drill brushes sparking?
    An empty fuel tank is very dangerous more so than a full tank as vapours burn or explode in a confined space thats why we run engines on it
    Liquid fuel will not burn till it evaporates
    as for the stick each to there own.

8. yellafella

yellafella the hammock camper!

Nov 30, 2009
    finaly cod adventurer some one with sence lol. iv seen plenty of people cutting up 44's with grinders with out steaming them. steel is porus so even if all the fuel evaporates its held in the pours of the steal so when its heated the fuel is released then sparks then kaboom lol.

9. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    yer i heard if your quick enough you can put a match into petrol with out it lighting.

10. mitchmcm

mitchmcm Member

Feb 2, 2010
    haha dare you to try it. see if its a myth or a fact. you will figure that out really fast hahaha;)

11. neville berghofer

neville berghofer New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    has anyone attached an electrical sender to a 25ltr plastic fuel tank

12. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    we run the exhaust of a diesel in tanks and drums before we cut quick and easy

no oxygen no bang .