1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

good Friday fish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Michael, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Well after a couple of weeks of being unwell( was very scary at 1 point enough about me lol) .I got out for a quick flick .
    Beach number 1 the wind changed direction part way along and produced one of my tiniest Bream to date on a fly
    [​IMG]
    Another perspective
    [​IMG]

Not being discouraged I decided to drive to a beach with the wind at my back.So I drove to the wrong side of West lakes !!! :shock: :lol:
    Which was lucky for me as I landed a very nice 25cm Bream .
    [​IMG]

2. jewiehaven

jewiehaven reelaxation

Jun 17, 2009
    Nice Bream there mate, fat and healthy as they should be!
    Sounds like a top session on the fly, it should get better with the coller weather and bigger bream coming out to play.

On ya budd :D

3. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Thanks
    Normally its the other way round .Bream come out in the warmer weather and go off the bite late autumn :D

4. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Well done Mick.
    There gettin' bigger!Have you been changing your locations or do you fish one area exclusively?Also do you cast at night or too difficult?It's definately the times when the big ones come out of hiding.Sounds like you have really refined the gear and technique down.
    Cheers mate

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  5. mitchmcm

mitchmcm Member

Feb 2, 2010
    hey. nice catch would love to land that on lure or fly lol. what flys and leaders do u use??? are they surface fly??? keep up the good work mick

6. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    This will sound funny but i tend to fish the Northern beaches of west lakes this also takes in certain small beaches at delphin island(thats where the tiny fish came from).
    If I don't have anything arranged like watching footy (as I did Saturday)I try to go to each of the different beaches each weekend or RDO.Also I try and work the wind out before I leave home .Today there was very little wind at home.I drove to a beach in the Port river like 2 minutes by car .And there was a very nice choppy water on show .No fish mind you but the water looked just right.
    Drove to West lakes and it was almost calm until about 8.30am then the fish came out in more numbers to play.
    Technique and gear
    I'm laughing at those two still using my 6weight gear.actually todays fish really fought well for their size bigger and smaller than the ones in this post(about to put a report up).
    In theory Bream hit a popper fly that just sits in the water,which is correct.But they also hit a moving popper one thats moves and stops and moves etc etc etc.Other fish are different.
    The other thing would be structure .I can not cast at the pontoons that are around the lake .My casting is not that accurate .But I can cast at seaweed beds sand beds between seaweed beads rocks and the odd shopping trolley reef;).Of course I re upped my hook size to number 6 14 was a tad small wish i had landed that schoolie lol .
    I hope that helps chicka still looking for that elusive 30cm plus Bream .Not to mention the Salmon that are supposed to be about:wideyed:
    The only other thing is that on the surface Bream are fun. I swear today not all the fish that jumped at the fly were small or tiny some very big splashes in shallow water :wideyed:
    Cheers
    new report about to go up

7. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Mitchmcm
    I am using at present a variation on a whiting Popper fly .The bream love it mate if its windy ;)
    I don't tie on to the fly with anything heavier than 6lb mono they seem to shy away from heavy stuff.