1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Goodbye VY?

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Rod Bender, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    One can only hope! Coming home from work this evening I decided to stop at the railway level crossing as the lights decided to start flashing and the boom gates decided to give into gravity which always wins in the end!:cool: So...there I sat when all of a sudden I was shunted towards the railway tracks by a 4 wheel drive!

After a few seconds of shock I then did a quick assesment of the likelihood of me being hit by the train which in the end was not going to happen. Swapped details with a young driver who was very apologetic and drove home. A reasonable amount of damage was sustained at the rear and it will be interesting to see how the assesment turns out.
    Cheers
    Car Bender

One can only hope!:)

Old fisho, diesel, AJ Fishman and 2 others like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    You didn't get hurt that's the main thing, you can always replace a car.

diesel, Old fisho, DeeBeeKay and 2 others like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    You were very lucky with that incident, Jim. Maybe you could swap some of your excess fishing gear for a new 4wd. ( just a thought. ) Lyall.

diesel, Old fisho, DeeBeeKay and 2 others like this.
  4. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    No good mate, glad u are not hurt.
    Cheers Pete

5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    B----y lucky if you ask me. That's not the way to lose good members. Noel

6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That would not be a nice feeling, Jim. Were you actually pushed through the boom gate?

I had an incident in Sydney one morning whilst riding my Suzuki RG250 street bike to work when I was stopped at a set of lights and got shunted across the intersection after a bus hit me. It is amazing how fast the old sphincter muscle kicks into gear and your bum clings to the seat. To this day I have no idea how I wasn't t-boned by the cross traffic - pure luck, I guess.

Jeff

7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    In comparison I must have had a charmed life. When still 18 I went for a motorbike licence. The country town policeman said I could have one but he'd not hand it over until I thought about it for two weeks. He thought me cheeky enough to kill myself.
    I never went back to get it. Perhaps he was right.

8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    No! The rear of the my car crumpled! I may have been pushed 20 or 30 cm's forward if anything. The car is at the panel beaters now waiting to be assessed and I have a hire car. My insurance company, RACV, have been excellent! Not sure if that has anything to do with the fact that I was not at fault!
    cheers
    Jim

9. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    RACV is very good even if you are at fault.

diesel, creekboy and AJ Fishman like this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    As it stands the VY has been written off and as it has done less than 200,000 klms, I will receive $5000! That's a lot of fishing gear!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    V8 mid-life crisis here I come!

11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Probably still worth more than that to you. And it's not the ideal way to change over either. My old Jeep Laredo has done more than 200,000 and can only insure it for $7000. Again; it's worth more than that to me and it still runs like a clock. I don't really think I'll need to buy another vehicle. It will last me out I reckon. Noel

AJ Fishman, diesel, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  12. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Well at least you now know what you will get, Jim. Cheers creekboy (Lyall).

13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I know where you are coming from but no! I have only had the car for about a year and the last service it had disclosed about $1500 worth of further work needed. But...some of that work was not what I would call essential and just prior to RACV's decision, I was hoping that the vehicle would be repaired to avoid the drama of having to go looking again. Had it been repaired, I would have had my hire car until the return of the VY and life would have been a bit easier. With my brother in law to help, I guess finding a new car will not be that difficult anyway.
    cheers
    Team Crash Test Dummy!

creekboy, AJ Fishman, diesel and 2 others like this.
  14. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi,Jim. Any further action on the new car front yet? Cheers, Lyall.

15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Perfect timing with your question! My brother in law checked out a car for me this morning...I will be picking up a Ford BA Fairmont this Thursday. Around 150,000 km's on the clock and seems to be in rather good condition.
    cheers
    Jim

16. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Nothing wrong with BA Falcons, Jim. It may be the game changer you have been waiting for. PS. remember not to pull up less than a kilometre from any railway crossing. Cheers and good luck with the car and "THE CARP". Lyall.

17. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Anything more on the Ford, Jim?. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  18. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Picked it up Thursday...so far, so good!
    Cheers
    Jim

kev209, creekboy and DeeBeeKay like this.
  19. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    I was expecting a metre carp by now. Cheers, Lyall.

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.