1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Help Map Our Inland Waterways

Discussion in 'Electronics & Gizmos' started by John h, Feb 13, 2010.

1. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Hi All,

When I first moved to Canberra, I was surprised to discover that there was very little in the way of maps/charts for some of the freshwater waterways I fish in. I have Navionics charts in my GPS which are great when I head to the coast, but I wanted some fresh water coverage.

When skinnee made this post about making maps, it sparked my interest.

After a bit of research I made my own using the data logs from my Humminbird Sounder/GPS. I thought why not see if there are any others in the same boat as me and want to share their data to make some maps.

So I have created a community project and I'm chasing anyone who has a Lowrance/Humminbird/Garmin Sounder/GPS combo that can log data to a SD Card.

To promote sharing, I've set it up so you need to share your data to get access to the stuff others have submitted.

Now I know, us fishos can be fairly protective of our spots, so I won't be publishing any maps of smaller "interesting" spots. I'll only do the bigger bodies of water. For instance, in Canberra, it will be Lake Burley Griffin, Lake Tuggeranong and Lake Ginninderra only. I'll have to take advice or make a judgment call for other areas.

I've attached an image of a map in a Garmin GPS and one in a Lowrance GPS. If your are interested, head over to www.ozfishmaps.com

Oh, and thanks to Tim for giving permission to post this thread

2. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Good on you John!
    Cheers

3. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    he is a clever bloke with that sounder, I like the way is set up how its all about those who share get to info supplied others and only the large bodies of water, great thinking mate.

cheers

4. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    If anyone wants to test out the maps, I have put up some samples for download here:

Sample Map Files

Note: You will need to register on the OzFishMaps site to download the files.

[​IMG]

5. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    good work John

6. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Nice one John.
    My Garmin Gps Chartplotter 172c does store on a card and i just bought a card reader usb.
    The Navman sounder is a 4600 which I don't know if I can interlink them.
    Thanks for the return pm and keep us informed.
    Will do some more research.
    Cheers mate.

7. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    I had the first lot of data submitted recently (other than the data I have collected myself) and now have a bit of Lake Mulwala mapped.

Lake Mulwala Fishing Map

8. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Nice work John!Shame you don't live up this way!!!
    Cheers mate.