1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

help with duelcab ute?

Discussion in 'Camping, Carravanning & 4x4' started by Got Buckley's, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    hey fellas im after some help.Now i have no idea at all when it comes to cars so im after some opinions.

Im looking at buying a duel cab ute (dont really need a 4wd but it is an option) I will be looking at something thats getting on in years as i have around 12k to spare.

I know its all a lottery when buying a second hand car but a little advice goes along way and alot of you blokes have alot more knowhow when it come to cars.

So what would you recommend I keep an eye out for? Or more importantly I need a heads up on what makes/models to steer clear of?

pretty random question i know, but im so confused at the moment :unsure:and any help would be appreciated as i know jack ( and them car dealers pissing in my pocket doesnt help "shes a beauty", "will drive forever", "best model youll find" etc etc etc, or should i say dribble dribble dribble )

Thanks for the help

2. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009
    Hilux mate.

3. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    if you want it to get some km's out and or towing a boat then go a diesel.

I picked up a 2001 4wd ford courier turbo diesel with 100k on the clock for $11,500 (in SA)

Agree with Dave if you can find one go for a hilux, i couldnt find one in my price range hence getting a courier, but i was after the diesel 4wd.

Look for the obvious like rust, oil leaks around the head, diff etc. Full service history in the log book (i didnt buy if this wasnt done). Check the Km's and what major services have, hadnt been done.

The other major thing is to spend $24 and get a background check on the vehicle from https://www.autocheck.com.au. Covers such things as finance, write-offs, stolen vehicle, also covers your ass on these things.

Search aussie forums on your dual cab of choice, they will provide you with fairly unbiased info about strength and weaknesses of a particular model.

4. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Like davo said,hilux.You can get a mid 90s dual cab 4wd hilux for the coin your talking about.You want diesel or petrol?Dont get a IFS model.Live axles are the go_Or a 2wd model with a limited slip diff and some weight in the ass and you will go lots of places.4wd hilux is what i would get myself if i wanted a dualcab.Ones i wouldnt buy would be rodeo,triton,navara or landrover.Im not saying this to get into any arguements its just what i wouldnt buy.

5. coat

coat New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Yeah id go a hilux as well.. I used to have a 96 dual cab 2.8 diesel an it was great.... More capable off road than my cruiser.. Thet did have an odd one blow a gearbox but that seemed to happen early on in life.. 150000kms.. I say early cos with a looked after lux this can be a third of its life if not more.. My work rig is an 88 model and its ticked over 400.. Uses oil but thats cheap enough to top up..

6. Arn09

Arn09 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
  7. Got Buckley's

Jul 25, 2008
    thanks for the help blokes ( and links ) , I had a hilux in mind but i knew i would have to contend with a few KM's on the clock but thats what you get, but some older cars do give up the ghost early in the peice but the hilux has been talked up by a few now.

And theres a few that i was a bit suss on that you mentioned wharf :skeptical: spotless, low kms. log books, plenty about and cheap, that always rings a few alarm bells.

so im now on the seach and thanks again

8. big gibbo

big gibbo big gibbo

Jul 10, 2009
    Buck,
    I know wharf said dont look at rodeo's, probably cause they they have a noisy engine(Diesel that is),and they are not as comfortable to ride in as a hilux but they are a very tuff little vehicle as I had one ,4x4, and I couldnt kill it with a stick of TNT. I did alot of trips on some very unforgiving country from boggy marshes to steep rocky mountain goat tracks and quite frankly gave it a flogging and had no respect for it. It was a great twin cab and if it doesnt bother you about the hardness of a vehicle it might be an idea to keep an eye on some of them, they are a tuff vehicle. Good luck.The others are right if you can go a hilux.
    Gibbo

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  9. boysey

boysey New Member

Sep 4, 2008
    I can only go from experience and say that Hilux has been a great vehicle for a long time. My Dad has owned them going back to 1982 and they just go and go and go. He had only ever owned diesels until recently when I bought him a 2wd dual cab in petrol. They said that they no longer made a diesel with auto transmission which I found very strange. Anyway, I have never driven a ute with more "toe" than this thing. V6, 3 litre, it goes like a shower of shxt. Remains to be seen if it lasts like the diesels (both over 500,000 kms) but it is a pleasure to drive. Great aircon, quiet, sits up high. Probably the only negative (for me) is that unladen it is light in the back end for how much grunt the engine has. Need to be a bit careful if you like to drive quick with no load.
    Cheers
    Pete

10. Arn09

Arn09 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Yeah Buck I with Gibbo I had a 92 2.8 turbo TF DLX Dual cab for about 9 years and never had any real trouble with it and would gladly get another one.

11. steve611

steve611 New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Can only go by my experience and i wouldn`t go pass a hilux.I`ve got a 99 model with 3ltr diesel and it hasn`t missed a beat in nearly 300,000 klm.Only thing i would have liked with it is a turbo,but other than that i rate them very highly.

good luck with ya search.

12. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    How did you go with car hunting dean?

13. RoryBenn-Clibborn

RoryBenn-Clibborn New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Go the Hilux! It gives me great satisfaction to read all these great reviews of the beloved hilux.

I would say hilux buck. Im driving a 92 dual cab 2.8 diesel and i wouldnt pass it up for anything. I got mine for $3,000 with a new engine re-build and only 15,000kms on it. Its almost ready to have a turbo installed but its not even neccessary as it goes well and has plenty of torque.

There are some extremely good bargains out there, Just gotta keep ur eyes peeled.

14. RoryBenn-Clibborn

RoryBenn-Clibborn New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    But ive also heard good things about the Pre 2000 model rodeo's as well. The newer models have seemed to go a little downhill.

But i've seen quite alot of those around for under $10,000 as well.

15. Got Buckley's

Jul 25, 2008
    im still on the look out fellas, after spending a few weeks doing homework its a little easier to spot the good ones.

Thanks for the help, its made my job alot easier

cheers

16. tullysika

tullysika New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I have a 99 duel cab courier 4x4 now done 240ks just putting a set of bearing through the gearbox it had a slight wine and we want to tow the van at xmas. Petrol gas. Cheaper at the time than a Hilux but for the bucks it has and still is a great little car. Comfortable on the highway sits on 110 no problem 260 k on 43 ltrs of gas. No problem in the bush although I wouldn't take it some of the places I took my old nissian , but it's still quite caoable. Driven sensibly and serviced regularly and they are a good truck. I have a mate with a 98 toyota hilus type wagon who has had nothing but trouble with it. So go figure.

17. Rusty Can

Rusty Can New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    There an awesome old truck the early Hilux,Mine is a 92 2.8 diesel twincab had a fairly hard life.I brought it new and to date these were the repairs/changes/services
    .New radiator
    .efs springs and shocks
    .new clutch
    .rebuilt fuel pump
    .Timing belt when the light tells me
    . Oil change & filter every 2500 kms
    .Fuel filter every 5000kms
    .check and top up diff and transfer oil if needed
    .regular grease
    .its on its 3rd air filter
    The Old girl is pushing 400.000 thats not alot, Take care of it and i will get alot more than that... Love my Hilux its the most reliable 4x4 ive ever owned. RC

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  18. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Why only 3 filters?When i used to run paper filters i would go through 3 a year no probs.
    I now have a uni filter which i clean every 5k or more often if i drive on dirt following other vehicles.

19. Rusty Can

Rusty Can New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Dunno wharf its a part that never seems to need replacing very often a good clean out with the compressor and it looks new again.probably not doing it any justice though.RC

20. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    The one thing that kills a diesels performance is restricted air flow.I can tell when my filter is in need of a clean,it doesnt go as hard and you can feel it.