1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Hopper time !

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Dicko, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Dicko

Dicko Stalker

Oct 5, 2009
    Tought i would grab the fly rod and a few hoppers and have a crack at the grassy paddock sections of the Tyenna river .
    Didn't take long to see the first fish come to hand on the hopper and also a few others on the dry and nimph set ups later on .
    They smash those hoppers when they are feeding on them ! great fun !!!
    The caddis also started up later in the evening so i donned a small version and also snagged quite a few fish . 1 being a solid 2lb+ .
    The hoper i was using had a white post . Helps to see in difficult light .
    :goofy:Here is a couple of the fish ,
    Dave ...

2. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009
    Nice fish mate , I hope to get my first on fly this year.

3. hoppa

hoppa New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Dicko,

Looks like fun mate........and here's me thinking the post was about me!

Hoppa

4. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    great fish well done ;)

5. Dicko

Dicko Stalker

Oct 5, 2009
    Hoppers

:lol: Lmao Hoppa ! Sorry to dissapoint you there mate !
    Thanx fella's .
    Get that rod out and casting Dave !Nothing like one on the fly .Well worth all the effort and learning curve !
    Dave ...

6. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

We have some very solid trout fishing around canberra but it pales in comparison to tassie.In a couple years time i am going to take a month off and come down there for a fish and relaxation.

7. Dicko

Dicko Stalker

Oct 5, 2009
    If you get down around my way Wharf look me up mate . Will put you straight on the fish !
    Nothing like a Tassy trout fix !!!
    Dicko ...

8. Dicko

Dicko Stalker

Oct 5, 2009
    More hoppers !

Got a few more on the home made foam hoppers today .
    Definately alot nicer when its your own dodgy creation .Lucky they actually liked it !
    Heres a pic of the hopper and a fish .Won't post them all as i landed over a dozen .Was a stella 5 hour session !

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Will do mate.Planning a trip down there for this year or next with my cousin.Thanks for the offer.

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    great stuff dicko would love to get to tassie for a fly fix myself

11. Dicko

Dicko Stalker

Oct 5, 2009
    Hoppers

Plenty of dry fly action here at the moment Riverrat !
    Just got home from a session with two fella's .They got 9 fish on the hoppers and caddis .Was a slow 4 hour session really ,until the light faded a little and they were on .
    They got a fly fix in the end at least .
    Same applies to you Riverrat ,get down to Tas and we will get you some awesome fish on the fly .Even the slow days will give a mainlander a good trout fix ! :p
    Dave ...

12. Dicko

Dicko Stalker

Oct 5, 2009
    Hoppers

The river and bush fires here have had a good dose of rain before the weekend resulting in some spectacular fishing on the dry fly !
    Anything red is the go with hoppers ,red tag ,royal wolf and the old humpy doing the trick .
    This was the best for the weekend after 2 ,4 hour sessions seeing at least 30 fish on the bank .
    Was a good weekend ,
    Dicko ...

13. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Top stuff Dicko!
    cheers

14. Dicko

Dicko Stalker

Oct 5, 2009
    Hoppers and Nimphs !

Have been having a few computer problems so i'll give a little update .
    Fly fishing on the dry is still producing some nice numbers of fish with a rise on all day today .
    Saturday seen 15 on the nimphs and 4 to finish on the dry at the last hour of light .
    I am new to using nimphs under an indicator (wool) and have been surprised on how affective they can be when fished in the fast to medium rifles .
    My first run seen 6 fish from 20m long rifle and was shoched how many strikes i missed aswell .
    Found a few good size fish aswell as a 3lb Rainbow which are not as common in the river as the good old Brown .
    Was caught on a Royal Wolf and was kept for the smoker and weighed in at the club .
    Also a 3lb Brown aswell in other pic .

15. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    am very jealous i would love to learn to fly fish although not much to target around here on fly so may get into it when i get a driving license (coupla years away :( ) some great trout to only ever caught one wild trout (a little rainbow).

16. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Hey Dicko, welcome back to the site, I was wondering where you had gone off to :p
    Look forward to reading some more of your reports :)

17. Phrozius

Phrozius New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Nice one! I'd love to try fly fishing.. looks like alot of fun. What sort of locations are you looking for when you fly fish?

18. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Cool report Dicko.
    Good to see you back on Tbx

19. the real trout

the real trout New Member

Oct 3, 2009
    some great looking fish there dicko mate, well done

20. Dicko

Dicko Stalker

Oct 5, 2009
    Tyenna River

Thanx fella's !
    If you start to fly fish you may end up like me ,addicted !
    Certainly a great way to fish but does require a steep learning curve .
    And all fish are obtainable on the fly . Just have to match the feed and use the right sort of line etc .
    Grat fun alright and worth a go as the set ups are not that expensive these days .
    Here is a quick snippet of the Tyenna and me having a flick . The footage was taken for casting advice and now are casting alot better . Miss a fish aswell ! :confused:
    YouTube - Tyenna/Casting the dry
    Dicko