1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

How Do You Cook A Golden Perch...

Discussion in 'Preparation & Cooking' started by b.frost, Jun 16, 2007.

1. b.frost

b.frost New Member

May 12, 2007
    how do you cook a golden perch nothin fancy just something you can do quicky on a camp fire

2. Mr_Willy

Mr_Willy New Member

May 4, 2006
    Havent actually cooked one, but will look at this, cause i am planning to do it one day!!

3. b.frost

b.frost New Member

May 12, 2007
    thanks guys

4. Pete

Pete New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    While camping To get the best out of your goldens

Put in a seperate esky , cover with ice ,leave for 12 to 24hrs this helps to set the fat .
    Fillett then skin , trim off all the fat . its easy to see now , cut into small pieces , pepper and salt , cook on BBQ , splendid

Pete

5. Spook

Spook New Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Nice recipe Pete,

But the best way at a campsite that i have ever tasted yella's is lightly seasoned, splash of olive oil, and then wrapped three or four times in good old aluminium foil. Then place it on some fresh coals from the fire, leave on for only a couple of minutes (depending on size of fish and heat of coals) turn fish over! When coocked you have a ready made plate to enjoy your succulent golden perch!

Bones just fall straight off the flesh!

Luke

6. fisherman347

fisherman347 Active Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Hi Spook,yes i'm with you there,yes sure we can fillet them however,i got to agree,if the golden is not 2 big foil is the way 2 go,regard's Murph....

7. diggerwilson

diggerwilson New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Yes definatly depends on size mate.
    Fisho has the right idea ( gidday fisherman). Foil is the way to go, but if they are over about 2lb. Fillet them and 'SKIN' them as the layer of fat inside the skin tends to make the taste 'Muddy' in my opinion.

Fisho are you up this way this season, not a lot of fruit about mate. Might see ya down the corner. (Cricketers) its the only pub left now Coe's (the Royal) closed its doors last week.

By the way couple of mates have landed some nice 'yella's' behind Rumbalara if anyone's interested.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  8. Spook

Spook New Member

Oct 20, 2006

Definately got to skin them digger![​IMG]

Old bloke showed me how to skin a fish about 10 years ago, and i've been skinning my fish ever since! Great way to get rid of all the scales, and they come up so well when you do it right!

Luke

9. fisherman347

Sep 4, 2006
    Hi Digger,yes i will be up there this season,so if you want to catch up with me,just simply come on out to Turnbull's after Aust,day, go to the office,or the main camp and ask 4 Murph,for as you will discover i'm well known,hope to meet ya Digger,cheer's Murph...P.s good to here about the Yella's....

10. diggerwilson

diggerwilson New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Will do mate. Yeh made a few inquireys about you and seems you are.....;)

CYA out there after Aus day.

11. fisherman347

Sep 4, 2006
    Hey Digger i sent you a p,m...regards Murph....

12. catman

catman New Member

May 18, 2007
    I have fished the darling river all my life and have lived on perch as long as can remember.
    The best way i have been shown and used for a lot years is lay the freshly caught fish in foil add lemon juice,marg or butter,sprinkle of salt & pepper and wrap it securely in the foil and chuck it in the coals go and have a beer or two and unwrap and enjoy (nothing fancy just keeps the favour there with normally ready available ingredients).
    I also fillet the bigger perch and use the same method above or crumb and season them and cook either on the barby or frypan,very nice too when fresh.
    I agree and disagree with that when you the fillet it gets rid of fat but when you get the oppurtunity to cook fresh on the river bank you cant beat the taste, maybe to remove the fat for freezing, but i would leave a little for fresh cooking.
    I suppose everyone has there own taste's but i prefer my method.
    Hope to get down to murray again soon.
    PS you should try the cod using the same method hmmmmmm
    Paul

13. cod adventurer

cod adventurer New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    golden perch yellow belly or callop in orange and mustard

fillet fish, skin fish ,bone the fillets remove fat where posible. Usually large fish are the worst just legal fish are in my opinion the best eating
    place in marinaid dish as small as nessary to cram the fish into
    add
    i teaspoon seeded mustard
    i large t spoon hot english mustard
    orange juice from one or up to two oranges cover fillets (keep some orange slices aside)
    zest from half the oranges used Easily scraped before juicing the oranges
    refridgerate the combination for a few hours
    remove fillets (and some marinade keep marinade for garnish)
    put some plain flour and pepper in a plastic bag or dish
    place just wet fillets into bag or dish and cover with flour
    fry fillets in a small quantity of olive oil 1-2 t spoons 2 minuits each side less time for tidlers more for footballs but i recomend releasing big yellas as they dont eat well
    carimalise orange slices about the same time to do as the fish
    place onto a couple of plates and add orange slices and 1 spoon
    of reserved seasoning as desired onto the fish (but not too much)
    serve with a salad i prefer a potato salad chilled
    finally serve with chilled beer and white wine for the girls
    I have never found anyone who did not appreciate this simple recipy

If i go out to the western rivers camping i often take pre prepaired frozen orange mustard combo and a bag of peppered flour
    the orange combo can be thoughd out quickly in a frying pan then put into a dish add fillets put back into esky till dinnertime
    all thats needed is to transfer the fillets into the flour bag shake remove fillets and cook and enjoy
    how easy is that

14. b.frost

b.frost New Member

May 12, 2007
    Interesting concept of easy there mate, i actually cooked up a beautiful yella on saturday, nice 42cm yellow, put it in the esky for a few hours, skinned and filleted it, juiced 2 lemons slices 1 lemon up, put some crack pepper and seasalt, and then put it in a freezer bag with all the stuff, let it sit for about an hour, went and cast my rod out while i waited (cought 3 red fin). went back took them out of the freezer bag, securely wrapped the fillets in foil, put it on some fresh hot coals for about 10 minutes, DELISH.