1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Humminbird 798c Side Imaging

Discussion in 'Electronics & Gizmos' started by John h, Jun 17, 2009.

1. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Anyone here have a Humminbird 798c Side Imaging Combo?

I'm looking to upgrade my Monochrome Humminbird 363 and the side imaging features look pretty cool.

2. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    i seen some pics, looks good, probably overkill for the murray river (for me)

3. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    side imaging, even in the murray is awesome! John, if you can justify the expence you should get it, it's what I'll have when I can afford it.
    I saw my mates side imaging combo and it was so good, you can see the structure under the water, which makes it much better to fish.
    For example, we knew from experience where to bounce a lure off a certain branch and get a fish after about 3 months of fishing this one spot.
    He came in and scanned it, and was onto his first fish in about five minutes!
    It turned out, we had the way the snag lay out of sight incorrect and had been casting into a rootball.
    It still produced fish for us, but we spent a lot of time getting unsnagged too.
    But as I said he had it all sorted in no time.

4. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  5. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Here is a good screen shot showing a car on the bottom

[​IMG]

and one showing a croc up in the NT

[​IMG]

6. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    they look great, but ive always had trouble understanding them. the pictures seem like they are zoomed right out or something. perhaps im used to a conventional sounder and just need to adjust to side imaging concept. would love to have a play with one and see how they read some of the places i fish though.

7. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Here is a short video from Humminbird that explains how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP0YwweZVOs&feature=channel_page

I'm tossing up on getting one local or saving $1500 and getting one from the USA.

The USA one only shows feet or fathoms, speed in miles/hr and temp in Fahrenheit though. I normally use feet for depth and knots for speed so the only the temp readout being in Fahrenheit would be annoying.

8. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    hey mate my old man got his colour lowrance from the states and saved a heap of cash, has feet and meters and temp is in celsius. but it has no warranty though so its a bit risky. suss it out as you should be able to get one with aus measurements?????

9. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
  10. Dogdoc

Dogdoc New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    side imaging.

I have had the 797 ( the older model) for about 2 1/2 years now. Magic piece of gear.

Side imaging does take some getting used to but with a sound understanig of how it works the images are sefl explatory. They work just like and ultrasound which i use at work daily so makes aklot of sense to me.
    most the pic's actually look like the real object so it is easier to work out. To identify the location size and orientation of structure , there is no comparison. I have extensive pics on mulwala and have gone back and looked at them with the water down amazing. has put alot fish in our boat.

Would be happy to goe over the workings if you like.

cheers

Andrew

11. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Hi Andrew,

If you have the time, it would be good if you could provide some more info/tips.

12. djgtom

djgtom New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Hi all,

i have a 798 si, it really is worth the extra dollars.
    i fish mul heaps and thought i knew my usual haunts pretty well , after scanning these areas i have found structure i would have not dreamed was there. have even found 2 sunken barges near the bridge not even TB knew was there along with a sunken ski boat near burke street.
    the gps takes a while to fire sometimes, have not downloaded the latest software for it yet....my bad.
    pm me your e-mail and i'll send some screen shots as i have not worked out how to post here.

deano

13. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    mate id love to see some of those pics of the barge and ski boat.

14. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    surely they are out of the water by now too
    have they been recovered and who owns them if you are the one pulling them out when the water came down low enough

15. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    thinking of gettin yaself a ski boat mate? lol

16. rossco

rossco New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    yes I have the 798 have only had it on the water once so far it is fantastic
    shows everything on the bottom and to the sides, picked it up from the US for under $1500 Aud half the price of them here in Australia if you don't mind imperial
    cheers rossco

17. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Hi rossco,

Are you able to set the time zone to AEST? I've read elsewhere that the US version only allows US time zones. This impacts on time display and also if you have the Navionics charts, the tide times are all out of sync.

I'm not sure if it has an impact on the actual GPS performance (time to get a fix and accuracy) or not.

I got a quote from the US for the 798cxi unit, Weathersense module and Aust Navionics charts for $1850AU delivered. I'm still undecided if the units of measure and time restrictions are going to be too anoying and just pay the extra for a local one.

18. djgtom

djgtom New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Dropped by mul today and to my surprise the barges are still under water.
    Oh well better get the scuba gear out and check if they are actually there hey ;)

TB, Vb talked me into more bloody lures !

cheers
    deano

19. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    I did some reading around the net and while the specs haven't been released as yet, I would think the Lowrance units would be pretty good. I saw mention from one Aus supplier that the StructureScanâ„¢ unit probably won't be Oz until 2010.

Hopefully I will have had plenty of practice on the Humminbird by then. ;)

20. rossco

rossco New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Sorry John h, I never had time to get a look at the time settings and will be away for 3 weeks.
    cheers rossco