1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Humminbird sidescan vs Lowrance structure scan - which one?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Gizmos' started by Maccas, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Maccas

Maccas New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I am looking at Humminbird 798csi or HDS 5 for my dinghy and as back up for my larger boat which a Kevlacat 5.2, so I am looking for opinions from those who have used or own one or the other. The dinghy is used in rivers and estuaries for bream.

Cheers,

Maccas

2. jezza

jezza New Member

Aug 6, 2009
    hi Maccas,
    I recently upgraded to hds 5,i guess with the hd the fisrt big thing you noticed was the definition, of the bottom and weeds beds it is very easy to identify the difference between fish and weed/bottom which is fantastic for targeting our sometimes stubborn freshwater natives. it is far supurior to anything i have seen/used, i am wrapped with mine.
    Cheers Jezza.

3. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Check out this forum and look at user "Fishton"posts, so much info here. He has both sounders.

Personally i think either is a great unit, if you are looking at structure scan or side scan then lowrance has the greater depth but this is personal preference.

Also check out this thread on 2lb tennis ball, i found it a great learning tool for testing what a fish looks like on the sounder. 'The 2 Pound Tennis Ball' - Bass fishing in South Africa - Bassing.co.za

I have the HDS5 and love it, i can easily find where natives/redfin are holding and target them with ease.

If you can afford it go for the larger screens.

Feel free to ask anymore questions.

ps dont get a HDS5x as you can update it unless you another unit as they dont have a memory card slot.

4. hazmail

hazmail New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Yep these are great analytical pics, did you check out the prices of those sounders, you think we have it bad???

Here's another excellent site with heaps of pictures and what the pictures actually mean - makes my head spin a bit.pete

What Is It? - Sonar Interpretation

5. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    That's it. I'm gunna try out that tennis ball trick on my Humminbird!

Maccas, Which ever one you decide on, be prepared to do a heap of testing/learning. I'm pretty happy with my 798, but I have not mastered it fully yet.

Keep an eye out on the new 800 series from Humminbird due to be released in Jan. Apparently it has a bigger screen than the 798. I find I see more at home reviewing the recordings on my PC than out on the water. A bigger screen would help on the water.

6. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    yeah i know i did a conversion a few months ago :), they are more expensive than AUS prices :shocked:

Cheapest place in AUS i found was CHSMITH Marine in Vic. $1122 delivered to SA.

7. Maccas

Maccas New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Thanks for the info so far, guys. Some more questions for you.

If you put aside the issue of sidecan which sounder would be the best given that the humminbird has more pixels but Lowrance is said to have great clarity because it is broadband. Also Lowrance works deeper.

Why did you buy Humminbird or Lowrance, what tipped the scales to one or the other?

At this stage I don't think that there is much between them except the Humminbird is cheaper right now ($1800) wheras the Lowrance is $1122 plus $929 for the structure scan. For me the question is whether Lowrance has the better sounder and the structure scan is worth waiting for or is the Humminbird proven technology and with the free downscan download going to be as good or better than the Lowrance.

8. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    it is a holden and ford thing, i chose lowrance as my previous boat had a lowrance sounder on it.

I would wait and/or do some research on the side scan/structure scan pro's/cons. I dont think using one or the other for 2d will matter. Lowrance may be the better option for the side/down scan. I have mine on back order with delivery expected nov/dec.

9. Maccas

Maccas New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    What is the minimum depth that the sidescan will work in real life to show fish or structure in a shallow creek 0.5m or .25m , does anyone have any experience?

10. Arn09

Arn09 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Wow! That is just amazing... I'm hooked.

11. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    The Lowrance HDS units have a nice High Definition image. The Hummingbird can still produce some good images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Brent Stevenson

Brent Stevenson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I have some really good pic of first time took out my hds10. can e-mail them if i can get an address.