1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

is a 45 ltr fridge enough?

Discussion in 'Camping, Carravanning & 4x4' started by yellafella, Mar 16, 2010.

1. yellafella

yellafella the hammock camper!

Nov 30, 2009
    gday all aldi's having a sale this week and they have a 45 ltr fridge 12vdc 240vac and gass for $300 with a years warrantee do you think its worth it? im a 1st year apprentice so 300's about my max i can spend and i refuse to have an electric only one love the gas option

cheers
    sid

2. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    the gas fridges use a lot of power when they are on 12v and they are not
    that efficient on the gas. try and save up a bit more and get a newish engel
    they are brilliant, my first one lasted 18 years.

3. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    my 40ltr engel stays below -5 for 2.5 days on a 58amp hour battery.

4. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi Yella
    Had a bit of a browse on the web and came up with this report on the"Lumina" fridge you mentioned.
    Hope this helps mate.
    www.mycampgear.com/category/tags/fridge
    Click on read more at end .

5. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    hmmm doesnt sound too bad might have a look at one my self, cheers.

6. yellafella

Nov 30, 2009
    butters has a big blue one that is gas 12 and 240 and its ausem not sure what brand it is itd be about 25 yro and ran for a week on the gas quiet easly saving my money aint an option lol need one now wheather its this one or a second hand one

7. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    hey mate what job you do? seriously mate i reckon get an engell 39 litre

8. yellafella

Nov 30, 2009
    fitter machinist does the engel run of gas? its not realy for me i barley even use an esky and i eat out of tins when i go bush lol so i dnt need to take extra weight its just for putting in the race trailer when i actualy need good nutrition and for the mrs lol

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  9. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    go for it i reackon as what do you have to loose bar $300 if it breaks.not to sure how aldi go on their warranty or replacement but thats why i paid an extra $50 for a water pump they had advertised a while back as i wanted peace of mind on replacement

10. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    ya cant use gas when the fridge is in a car or trailer.
    hmm machinist hay, wanna make some driveline spacers:)

11. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    dual battery in your ute thats the go

12. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    tinned foods the way mate. rarely go fishing with out the tinned spaghetti or baked beans, and all ways take me MAPS (SPAM backwards) :)

13. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    i went and had a look at my local aldi they didnt have any there and it was not in the catalog either? but it is still on there web site.

ill have to try another shop

14. TomtButters5

TomtButters5 Just one more cast

Nov 30, 2009
    Hey sid, Yella, my fridge is a Chescold Electrolux, i forget how many litres but id guess it would be a few

15. yellafella

Nov 30, 2009
    they go on sale on the 18th of march. iv had great experience's with aldi's geer its a bit poxy in some non essential parts but they last along time and its all ogod iv got one of there generators. and keegs iv got dual 720 CCA deep cycle batreys in my 4x4 still like the gas option and when its in the ute travveling itl be running of the batreys of coarse but when were camped out for 2 weeks in the scrub it will go on the gass.
    oh and pressy it may seem weir but whenever we go fishing theres always a tin of aldi tomatos without them we dont catch anything then if its still slow we eat them its discusting but we always catch fish then. it all stems from a long boat only trip we did and had ran out of food and we hadnt caught anything measurabele so we had to eat the tinnd tomatos then we caught plenty lol

how bigs ya drive line spacers shep?

cheers everyone

16. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    hey yella a bit like oranges and fishing dont go especially with bait and plastics.

17. cod adventurer

cod adventurer New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    gassed by german

Save your cash add a little more and get an engel 15-20 amp a day draw set to 2.5-3 deg will freese well as well remember every deg lower than 4deg adds heaps to daily amp draw on an escalating basis
    runs on 240v12v and 24v
    gas is dangerous i have seen too many blow outs over the years i will never trust one
    Get a engel dont look back they also have a great resale value if you dont knock it about and if you want more capacity get a two zone jump up for it
    I have been engel and autofridge for years now the engels chill quicker but the auto fridge needs no power for 12-14 hours at a time
    I can shut it down and sleep next to it with no noise at all thats a big one in my camp site and i dont worry about the battery either
    i have never met a fridge i can sleep next to when it cycles on off
    dont be a jew And i dont worry about being gassed by a german um fridge when u sleep or blown up
    I probably should refrase that Oh well you remember what we are talking about that is get a quality fridge for a little more kanga

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  18. yellafella

Nov 30, 2009
    sorry its gas or bust lol im insured its there problem not mine lol i can sleep through deisle generators no problem at all onlything that can wake me up is light so i dont care about noise lol i wish i could afford an engel but meh everything is designed for planned or persieved absolecence so theres not much point i beilive, maybe when im a pimped out tradie on the almounds instead of earning peanuts i may up grade its onlygota last 4 years

19. Davo

Davo New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    We used to use a 3 way (gas 12v 240v) for years when camping as kids. You have to remember that they will only operate when level, so running while in a trailer or back of a car dosen't really work. They dont have a compressor like an Engel or household frige. We had no dramas keeping stuff cold, just got to be careful with how much you open it. We used to keep a wet towel over it to help, and kept it out of the sun.
    Been looking at fridges for a while myself and there seems to be the $300 dollar 3 way fridges and then a jump to the Engel/Waeco where a setup including batteries etc will see you patying well over $1000.
    Good luck with your search.

Cheers
    Dave

20. bwh1

bwh1 New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I reckon go for it at that price, especially if you're not going to use it often. I bought a 2kva generator from Super Cheap Auto for $300. I dont often use them mainly for recharging the leccy batteries if I'm out on the river for more than 4-5 days. It's works a pissa, was cheap, if it lasts for 5 years or more, I'll be happy.

Engel fridges are definately the best out there but also the most expensive too and not really worth the money if your not using it that much, especially for an apprentice. I use a 35ltr Waeco that I got really cheap and it's good.

Cheers...Brett