1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Jew Rod?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Bluefin, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    I need a Jew rod, 7'. single handed. Cast weight up to 45 grams, 1 1/2 0z. Up to 8 kg . And light weight. The only one I can find is a Veritas. 3. Any comments on this rod? Thanks Howard.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I can't comment on the Veritas, Howard, apart from the fact that I've read some good reviews on them and they feature at times as the rod of choice in some fishing videos.

I recently bought a Shimano Maikuro 682, it's a 6'8" two piece rated at 6-8 kg with a lure weight rating of 10-25 grams. I've chucked a couple of heavier lures with it (32 grams), but it wouldn't handle a 45 gram cast weight. I'm yet to hook up to anything decent with it, but it seems to be a nice rod, well balanced with a 4000 reel. I bought it for chasing barra and jacks and possibly cod in the fresh, but I reckon it would handle a reasonable sized jew okay, just not the cast weight you are looking at.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    Thanks Jeff. I have a few Daiwa Gen Black and love the feel and light weight of them. But, I was fishing with a guide again on thursday, and he taught us some of his Jew tactics. I used one of his custom rods and it was beautiful. We were casting 7 " soft plastics on a 3/4 oz jig head in 8 meter holes in the river. The gen black only go to 28 gram I think. The custom rod I was using costs about $ 400 with all the top quality fittings and marbling finish, Looks and feels Beautiful. But I can't justify the Price, especially if my wife wants to fish with me ! We won't be using them that often. I get most of my Jew on a 2 to 6 kg Gen black wicked weasel. With 10 gram Samaki vibelicious Lures. Yes I did get a Jew on thursday!!!! But only 42 c/m.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  4. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Hey Bluefin, Ive got a Veritas in the 3-6kg and I like it, but not as much as my Pflueger Trion in the same line weight, I prefer the cork grips compared to the EVA but its a nice stick and its accounted for some decent flatties.

Have you looked at the Pflueger Trion II 6-10kg? Ive got the old one with the EVA grips and I used the same rod on a charter up Qld chasing snapper with 7" plastics in shallow water over reef, a very versatile rod casts a mile and a bit more hardy and a slower action than the Veritas. This might be what you are looking for... FYI- the new II series have cork grips so single handed casting shouldnt pose an issue- the old version (same as the 1 I have) is EVA grips but very comfy. Its a 2pc and splits above the foregrip so there is no ferrule it just slots in and off you go- handy for transporting in the boat or car/ute.

Other than the 2 above I could only suggest a custom rod- there is a mob down my way in Lake Macquarie called "Smash It" they make custom rods and also have a shop. You could call them and see what they can do Im pretty sure they would be a lot cheaper than other custom rods. The bloke to talk to is John Capri. You can contact them through their Facebook page.

Good luck with the purchase mate

Tight lines

Anthony
    :D

creekboy, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  5. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    Thanks Anthony, the more i think about it the more confused I get. I really don't know exactly what I want. I have 1 to 3 kg covered with Shakespeare Sling shot, Cheap but I love them! 2 to 4 I have samaki zing, Very happy with them. 2 to 6 up to 14 gram, Gen Black Daiwa. Perfect!!!! Also TK3G shimano 2 to 5 kg 2 to 9 gram , Not used a lot, not sure why, A bit heavy ? don't know! I lack a rod for the 20 to 30 gram lures ! May be Gen Black humphead? Im in no rush, the Jews are about to come on in force with the mullet run and Bream spawning, but i usually only use 10 gram samaki viblicious or 4" z man for them.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've got the same rod, Howard, I originally bought it for bream & whiting, but like you I found it a bit heavy for light saltwater spinning. It is a perfect rod for pulling yellowbelly and redfin out of snaggy water in the fresh though - balances well with a Stradic 2500FJ.

I've got most line weights covered apart from a 1-3kg and was thinking maybe a Pflueger Trion, but now that you mention the Slingshot, you have given me food for thought. I used an early model Slingshot 3-6kg a few years back and I liked the feel of it.

Jeff

kev209, Bluefin and creekboy like this.