1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Keeping / Breeding Yabbies

Discussion in 'Aquarium Discussion' started by User1, Sep 5, 2005.

1. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Anyone know anything about keeping and breeding yabbies?

What size tanks, how much filtering (and type) etc....

Looking to keep some yabbies alive and possibly breed them for future fishing outings...

Just an idea at this stage and thought I would throw the feelers out there in case someone has been down this path before.

BTW - I could google... but trying to keep discussion going here :)

2. Sparkesy2

Sparkesy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Don't know but they do live in muddy dams. I have often thought of breeding shrimps.
    Any suggestions guys?

Natalie

3. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
  4. tex

tex New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Hi Marc,
    My brother used to keep a few. He just had a large filtered fish tank, with heaps of cans and junk on the bottom for them to hide(nest) in. Used to feed them carrots.

Oh..I forgot, he was breeding them for bait too, but had a few moral issues with using his pets for bait :)

5. ozdevil

ozdevil New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    just got to remember that yabbies are actually vegetarians so feeding them meat is not such a good diet for them... and as Tex said just a filtered tank will do and shrimp is done thesame way basically but not sure wether they are vegetarian

cheers
    ozdevil

6. awhite_au

awhite_au New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    I've had yabbies before, meat does work well for growth and general quality of the yabbies. Yet, having yabbies as 'pets' I don't suggest feeding them meat as yabbies are scavengers and will bury any excess food they don't wish to eat. This will cause the water to become extremely dirty and smell of rotting flesh. Carrot does work well, but you will notice with smaller yabbies that they will actually start to turn a shade of orange (similar as with salmon breeders feeding them carrot to colour their flesh orange).

Also, depending on how many yabbies you wish to breed, make sure there is plenty of area per yabby as they WILL kill each other if left in confined spaces in the presence of females.

Breeding wise, you'd be better off to do it on a larger scale with a pond of some sort, create the environment for them to breed naturally, and just net from that what you need on each fishing trip and take care of the yabbies that are not used, and put them back. If it's size you're looking for, for eating and the like, you really do need to make sure they have somewhere to bury themselves and hybernate over winter. Also, if you are going to do it on a smaller scale, the less water volume the more the temp of the water will fluctuate and will affect the health of the yabbies, so make sure the tank is in a place which is unaffected from full sunlight etc.

Seems like a bit of effort, but if you're one to use yabbies as bait often it'd pay off in the long run.

7. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Thanks Andrew, great information there. Might hold off and do it properly I am thinking.

8. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    we used to keep some in an old bath tub with lots of bricks and eucy branchs for them to hime around, they eat carrot, and most other vegtables. you also have to change th water regularly or have an aerator set up as the water loses all its oxygen and goes bad after a while
    good luck
    P.S dont keep them in Polystyrene eskys, my old man found out the hard way that they just eat straight through them - we had yabbys walkin round the backyard :)

9. DAGGA

DAGGA New Member

May 25, 2006
    Hahahaha cvbass you just reminded me!
    Make sure you got a good lid on wherever your keeping them and make sure you dont have bits coming out for them to climb, i worked this one out when one climbed up my filter hose and found him in the computer room. You could imagine my suprise looking at this dark silioute in a dark gap between computer desk and wall. I got in got a closer look and seen the claws and thought OMG I HAVE A GIANT SCORPIAN IN MY HOUSE!

10. Timber_Lake_Mike

Timber_Lake_Mike New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Heaps of them down at the lake. I have dropped some biscuit in the water near where I park the boats and watched at least three of them come out from various holes, pick up some biscuit and scurry back in again. One even had a go at a mosquito fish on the way through.

I have also found them in the bilge of the larger boat - not sure how they get in there, but they difinitely can climb (I assume up the anchor rope in this case). BTW, this one had obviously grown inside the bilge and couldn't get out through the small hole again - he/she could only get it's claws through :(

Also as the scientific name suggests (Cherax Destructor), they will destory the banks of ponds and dams unless they are supported by some rock (that they can't destroy). The dam wall at the lake is a prime example of this, however you can find yabbie holes all round the lake.

Does anyone know what is the best time of year to catch them and do they have a dormant stage?

Regards

11. DAGGA

DAGGA New Member

May 25, 2006
    Ahh sorry guys i kinda posted without thinking, sorry to dig up a old thread!

12. Loopy

Loopy New Member

May 19, 2006
    yabbies are easy to keep, as a kid i had dug myself a small pond (1m x 2m x 0.6m and lined it with black plastic and threw in half a dozen. reguarly fed them initially but then forgot about them for around 12 months. then dad wanted me to fill it in. Didn't think they would still be there but low and behold there they were, 5 of them anyway. the pond had a couple of mallee trees above which dropped alot of leaves and i had a couple of large bricks in the bottom but certainly never changed the water or had an areator.
    other people in the area have large concrete squatters tanks which hold approx 7000- 10000 gal and the yabbies and shrimps are in the hundreds, the only drama being shags coming and pinching them, feeding themselves stupid and drowning in the tanks because they are water logged and can't get enough run up to get out.
    i think in the back yard of a town house an old bath tub would be just fine with a bit of mesh over the top for protection.

13. rossco

rossco New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    i keep yabbies for bait in an old tractor tyre.lay tyre on shadecloth,fill up to rim with soil,gravel or rock.fill inside tyre with water. i have kept yabbies this way for over a year.feed them on carrot. rossco

14. Davo

Davo New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    There is a big gap between keeping and breeding yabbies (Cherax Destructor). As you can see they are easy to keep for long periods. They are tolerant of a wide range dissoloved oxygen levels, salinity levels and water temperatures.
    Breeding is a different matter. If they dont have enough room they will quite happily eat each other and thier own young. They also breed according to water temp and the length of days, so if you had an indoor tank setup you would have to simulate this.
    Most commercial farms are large scale and use a number of ponds on a growth and harvest cycle, allowing the breeding to occur naturally.

Cheers
    Dave

15. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Bait fishing Marc!

What next?

Seriously, build a nice pond in your front or back yard and put'em in there. I did this a couple of year ago and now I'm getting a litle scared to feed the fish as they are enormous now.

16. emu

emu New Member

Nov 19, 2005
    A mate of mine has his in a old bath tub about a third full of water with a couple of rocks and tins in it feeds them with fresh lucerne and changes the water every 7 to 10 days covered with a bit of heavy duty shade cloth to help keep frosts at bay they seem to being doing very well.
    Cheers Emu

17. Timber_Lake_Mike

Timber_Lake_Mike New Member

Jun 3, 2006
  18. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    ahh what the hell i will reply too

yabbies are the easyest things to keep and breed
    i have some in two two foot tanks
    one is the breeding tank for mrs and mr yabbie and the other is for the babys to grow up in
    biggest thing to remeber is they will kill each other and you will only end up with a fraction of what is breed

you can breed them year round by keeping the water at a constion temp via a water heater
    while i have two tanks a third would be even better as to keep mum and dad away from each other when she is berried up or after they have hatched MY mr killed the little lady just a few mounth ago so i need to find a new woman for him or he will pinch me

i feed miny normal yabbie food from a pet store with once a week mix of lettice and carrot
    as for water qulity well clean water with under gravle filltration works fine ohh and as for a treat for your breeders throw in a goldfish for them to play with they love nothing better than freash fish LOL
    feel free to mesanger me with any other questions about them as they are really easy to keep and breed hell we didn't even try and ours did three times last year

19. Sparkesy2

Sparkesy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    OH NO! .... not a goldfish :(

By the way The Bream ... where have you been? Haven't seen you around here for some time but glad you made it back because we are due for another "Tackleboxer of the Month" :)

20. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    yeh been pretty busy at either work or fishing and if not doing that then trying to score the browine points by doing the family thing so after i take care of all that i just haven't been getting the relax time i desrve LOL