1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Keeping grand kids happy.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Madfisher, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Our daughter is not well at the moment, and we have taken the two youngest grandies to ease the burden. The 13yo boy main interest is electronics and computers. The 11yo girl has had and interest in fishing since little, but little chance to go.
    For the last two weeks she has been nagging me to take her fishing, but kids need some action and in mid winter in the central tablelands of NSW thats not easy to find.
    option 1 take her trolling , but i thought she would be bored after a couple of hours, although this was Sals prefered option.
    Option 2 go to Lyals tie up to a tree or anchor and bait fish for redfin mmmmn maybe.
    Option 3 Go to Wyangala take the boat , and bait fish with worms some carp hotspots, take a billy, light a fire, put some rods out with bells Option 3 won.
    We headed to wyangala and headed up the dam about 8ks, put five rods in, and sal gets two decent carp in and hour, one would have been over 8lb. But the biting action was still a bit slow for a kid, so headed further up to the greenmantle area, put the rods out, SaL headed off further up the inlet, The rod I put out for myself went off , and I am yelling for Sarah to come and fight the carp, at the same time Sal is into one.
    Sal, got 3 from this spot, i got 3 , and so did Sarah. She got a lessson on how to start a fire with no firelighters or paper, had a cuppa out of a billy boiled on a fire.
    Then as we started to pack up, her rod bowed over in the rod holder and the drag screamed, i picked it up thinking I will stop it, turn it then give the rod to Sarah, well this did not go to plan at all.
    I got line burned, and the drag was howling even with 12lb line, sadly it found a snag and poped the line. I am thinking either a 20lb Carp or 30lb Cod, and 30lb cod are more numerous in this dam then 20lb carp.
    The good news , she is telling everyone who will listen about the ONE THAT GOT AWAY, i reckon she has been hooked well and truly lol.

creekboy, Old fisho, diesel and 3 others like this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    As soon as I read option 3, I had an inkling which option would win! Great effort and after reading your post as I arrive back at work for the first time in about 5 days, I get an urge to drive to the Nine Mile Creek and start a fire and kill carp!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Jealous!

creekboy, Madfisher, kev209 and 3 others like this.
  3. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Good one Pete. I'm with Bender; JEALOUS

creekboy, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Your lucky Wally our Grand Kids live in the States. They were coming for a holiday next month, but things have changed, a routine Dental check up for our Grand Son picked up something and we are waiting to hear the results of tests that have been done.

AJ Fishman, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  5. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Thanks guys, nice to spend time with grandies any time, and for city kids lighting a fire, and boiling a billy is great stuff.

6. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Great reading with 10 out of 10 for all posts. Cheers, creekboy.

Madfisher, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.