1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Keeping Yabbies Alive

Discussion in 'Preparation & Cooking' started by simondfrog, Dec 5, 2006.

1. simondfrog

simondfrog New Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Hi,
    I am looking at catching some yabbies for Xmas, and need to keep them alive for about 3 days. I know they can be kept alive on ice somehow, but does anybody know the best process for this? Is it simply a layer of ice, then a layer of yabbies, then layer of ice etc etc.

Also, How long will they last in this scenario

Any help much appreciated

Simondfrog

2. Loopy

Loopy New Member

May 19, 2006
    my suggestion is to have your catch in a large esky or styro-foam box and keep a well drenched heshion sack over them and then keep them in a cool place. not enough water for them to swim in but to keep them damp. if there is to much water in the tub without an aerator they will go belly up in no time.
    i'm not sure how long they will keep this way, but it will certainly help your efforts.

3. Hooked Grasshopper

Hooked Grasshopper New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Loopy is right on the money most crabs/yabbies/shrimp keep best in a cool esky or foam box with damp hessian bags laid inside,make sure to keep em damp but not to much excess water in the bottom and they should make a 3 day journey no worries

4. jezza95

jezza95 New Member

May 4, 2007
    i have seen yabbies in eskys with only somthing like a centermeter (soz spelling) and green gum leaves
    sorry dont know if this any good

5. CodTaimer

CodTaimer Wicko

Feb 8, 2009
    All above ways are spot on, but if you wish to keep for longer, i.e 6months over winter when their hard to get try this.
    Im a Landscaper and when we get grass plants they come in excellent punnet things that yabbies love which is the best thing iv found to keep'em happy. They are kinda like an egg carton only plastic and approx 30mm diameter and 70mm long. I use bricks with the 3 holes for the bigger ones. Plastic is better simply for weight.
    I put a fair bit of water in but they still need to get out of the water. I make sure some of the holes in the punnets are above water.

Few more vital tips-
    dont over crowd them
    Seperate the big ones and aggresive ones
    feed only vegies, i.e peas, chopped carrot ect
    keep the water fresh, no need for pumps mine are in foam broccoli box's

6. nunya

nunya New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    i have drums on an angle with a rotating trickle pump, i can keep them as long as i like... feed them lettuce and carrot. to much carrot mean,s water change.
    cheers nunya

7. erikssy

erikssy Guest

All methods work that have been mentioned but if your travelling the best method would b the styro box and a wet heshem bag. a mates dad also kepth them this way in a dark shed for weeks

cheers