1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

LATEST NEWS

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Well it finally happened.

The first books arrived in Australia last week. Now all we have to do is get our act together for an official party later in the year. Will keep you posted. IMG_0006.jpg

diesel, Madfisher, AJ Fishman and 4 others like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Congratulations Noel.

creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    X2. Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Brilliant Noel!!!!!!!!!
    cheers
    Jim

kev209, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks a mucha guys. N

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  6. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    where do I get one noel. congrats

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. Missniss

Missniss Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Congratulations Noel :)
    Where can we grab a copy?

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks for the interest people and it's a good feeling to have young Sandy back on deck a bit more. We all hope things ahead are more pleasant for her.
    When we travelled with the van; we sent back to friends and family a newsletter with images to say where we were and what we were doing. The book is based on that; our longest trip; which was 27,500kms around Australia. It took two years and exactly 100 letters were sent back. One wet and miserable day; marooned in the van as we have all been; I reread those notes. They
    brought back endless memories but were poorly written. I started playing with them and a year or so later began to wonder if the result might be publishable; never seriously believing it could actually happen.​
    The title itself is a bit different.
    While reading these letters; my mind; often considered a bit out of normal; while looking at an image of a rainbow; was aware that, while you believe you can see it; it doesn't really have an ending. The same mind decided the caravanner's road doesn't have one either. Roads often appear to end as the ever diminishing edges form a distant point you can never actually reach. A road can visually end atop a rise but as you crest that rise; it disappears again into the distance. Like the rainbow; it's totally illusionary. Suddenly the writing had a title and the game started to escalate and get serious.
    Like many others today; the publishers also handle their own international sales. Some book stores will stock them but we have little idea which at this point. We will have our own copies and will post to people on request with a direct deposit system being available. I will attach a link to the publishers but their postage cost may be even higher than ours here. I am meeting with the post office manager today to establish our exact cost. I will update the details after confirming exact prices.
    A foreword to the book was written by our esteemed friend; The Hon Dr. Ken Crispin QC; a retired Supreme Court judge who now lives here in Tuross Head. His wife Pam; a retired Uniting Church minister and a qualified wordsmith herself, was perhaps my greatest supporter. We are planning a special book launch when Ken and Pam return from their o/seas holiday. Some members here have shown an interest in attending. That would be one of my most proud moments if it can happen.
    The book itself sells for $20. It is around 350 pages and runs to almost 90,000 words. Th
    ere will also be book signing days in different places. More info soon. Noel

9. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Congratulations Noel,
    A wonderfull achievement,
    best of luck Pete.

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  10. Missniss

Missniss Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Can't wait to read it :)
    Thank you for your kind words too Noel :)
    Nerves are kicking in for today, but I have my big girl britches on lol I got this :)

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    We are also now on Instagram as noel.smart.tuross along with some images from places visited. Noel

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Top effort, Noel, I'm glad to see it come to fruition.

Good photo, by the way.

Jeff

13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Welcome back to the land of the living. Where are you with your chaff bag full of diamonds? Noel

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Home for a day or two, Noel, then I head back out west to put some new tracks on a D9 Cat for an old mate. Once I get that out of the way, we are heading up to Cape Palmerston for a few weeks fishing. How are you going?

Jeff

15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Slightly reminiscent of a yo-yo at times but there's plenty worse off.
    Still can't get out for a fish. Back to Canberra in about ten days.

Stay well. N.

16. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, all. I took a tumble on the front patio last week but survived so far, I think we are all a pretty resilient bunch of senior cits. Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Drunk and disorderly I assume. Seriously; hope all is OK but probably got a bruise or two. Was it On the patio or from it? N

18. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Noel. On the steps up to it, but patio was the landing area, but I managed to bounce, thanks for asking. Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.