1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Mallacoota fishing trip

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Slipper1, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Slipper1

Slipper1 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Hi Guys.

So I've just returned from fishing Mallacoota inlet for the last 8 days with 25'odd mates and 10 or so boats. It's an annual trip that we've been doing for quite a few years now. Some of us also fished the Reel It In Flathead challenge last weekend also

The fishing in most of the lake was actually pretty slow which we put down to the cool spring we've had. We managed to find a couple of spots that were holding good numbers of smaller fish (35cm - 45cm) where we did have a couple of good sessions, one being 50 flatties before breakfast one morning.

Beside that, most of our normal spots that hold good flatties we incredibly slow. The best fish for the trip was a 57cm flathead.

Most of my fish were accounted for by soft plastics but blades were definitely nailing their fair share also. I also experimented with a jackal gantia swimbait with a chin weight to allow it to sink a bit faster. I nailed a nice 41cm flattie on it which was pretty cool.

I'll find a few pics later

2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Looking forward to your pics! Using the Gantia...what were you hoping for? Also, have you used it on cod before? I just purchased two of them myself.
    cheers
    Jim

kev209 likes this.
  3. Slipper1

Slipper1 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    G'day Jim

Yep, the gantia's action is just so cool how could any big predator no just smash is. I was hoping for something a lot bigger than the 41cm flattie I got.

Yeah I gave them a pretty good swim this past winter. I dropped a 1m+ at the boat on a gantia while fishing on my own one Tuesday morning. I had it at the boat for a good 5 minutes but it wouldn't fit in the net (I've had mid 80cm's in this net no worries) in the end I tried to slide it in by hand but it cracked the shits and stuck the hook in my glove, straightened the rear treble and off it swam. From the lake I went straight to the tackle store and bought the biggest net and strongest trebles I could find. It's not something I want to happen again