1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Minn Kota I-Pilot

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Vass, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Vass

Vass Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Minn Kota have a upcoming release of there new GPS driven I-pilot unit.
    It looks like an amazing unit. I'm sure it will be a must have few a few of us.

The unit will be out in the US in november and will retail for 399 US.

2. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    how does it work mate?

3. Vass

Vass Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Pics are in my photo gall i just cant work out how to post then in the forum since the site update.
    Chrisso it 's going to be a must have i'll say that

4. Timbo

Timbo Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Sensational, looks like i will have to put this on the shopping list along with my SI Sounder:lol::lol:. I defenitly like the saving of 3 trolling runs. Should be better when they have it so you can store 500.

5. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    so whats the price of it all and where can we get it?
    i assume you have to have a compatible unit allready
    has anyone looked into it further?
    this along with the new sounders that show everything will http://www.lowrance.com/en/StructureScan/ make fishing very interesting in deed

6. snookmaster

snookmaster New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    GPS Trolling Motors???

I have a terrova and have been anxiously awaiting the I-pilot...but they have missed their Nov deadline so I probably will not see one for Christmas from Santa. There seems to be very few people who have seen these...and the reports back from other forums are mixed. One guy said that the Spot-lock mode kept him in a 20' x 20' box! This seems pretty typical of Minn-Kota....too much technology too fast...no refinement. I hope this doesnt come back to haunt us all like the Genesis model! Some forums are now suggesting a Jan/Feb launch.

I live in the Gainesville (Florida) area and a friend (guide) of mine recently bought a Rhodan Marine Systems GPS Guided Trolling motor (gpsanchor.com) and seems to be extremely impressed. I have not been with him, but he says he can precisely anchor the boat with it and fish a dock/structure from 10 feet away without spooking fish. He says you forget its there....maybe 2 feet of drift in choppy water/high winds. This sounds amazing! Hopefully I can "book" a trip with him soon. They also claim 12 memory locations and 1000's of miles of recording space.

The price seems high ($2500)....but if it is a better product then I may be a convert. Has anyone seen/heard more about these new systems? He has had zero issues with his and I am fed up with crappy foreign marine products. Apprently these are made in Sarasota Florida and have been under development since the early 90's???? Does this replace the power-pole? Essntially an infinite length power-pole?? Does anyone know anywhere to buy one from a dealer other than their website?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  7. deej

deej New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Any news on a release date here yet, was goin to get one from the states but apparently they dont configure in southern hemisphere

8. Vass

Vass Member

Aug 31, 2006
    deej who told you that?

9. snookmaster

snookmaster New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    I was going to look into that for other locations....I imagine that these systems rely on WAAS in the US for the best GPS accuracy. The southern hemisphere lacks these special corrections and can lead to larger GPS errors. Their compasses could also be screwed up if they do not account for geographical errors which seems pretty screwed up in the Aussie area. I think contacting them and asking "WHY NOT?" would be the best way to get an answer. I will try this and keep you guys posted.

10. snookmaster

snookmaster New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    I got a quick response back form Rhodan by submitting a product info request on their website....still waiting on Minn Kota reply:

"Thank you for your forum posts and interest in our product.

In your post you correctly point out the two primary concerns (lack of WAAS correction and increased magnetic declination) regarding the use of these systems outside of the US. We have not yet completed testing of our system in the Southern Hemisphere. Our expectations are that the GPS Anchor will function, albeit with somewhat reduced accuracy due to the lack of WAAS Differential correction for the GPS signal. We automatically account for magnetic declination, however portions of Australia have some of the most extreme declination on the planet, so we intend to confirm operation under these conditions prior to promoting our product there.

In regard to sales, we are currently working to establish relationships with select retailers throughout Florida. In the mean time we accept customer direct orders through our website, by telephone, and in person at our Sarasota manufacturing facility."

Looks like they will be up and running in the southern hemisphere really soon.

11. deej

deej New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I got chattin to a couple of different guys about it one of which is a reseller here and went to a product launch while at a trade show in the states, he was telling me that they wernt compatable with the aussie version because of coding in the gps, i dont know whether theyre pissing in my pocket or not they also believe the unit will sell for around 700 mark which really doesnt seem right at all with the way the dollar is, but i guess it just keeps goin along and everyone that imports and resells keeps wacking their minimum 50% on top

12. Vass

Vass Member

Aug 31, 2006
    so from what i gather it the US modle will be the only one released?? worldwide

13. snookmaster

snookmaster New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    GPS Trolling Motor

From their websites it sounds like you Aussie's will be missing out on one cool fishing toy, at least for a while.

It sounds like Minn Kota is looking to only market them in the US. I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of upgrading to the I-Pilot or going with one of these new Rhodan GPS Anchor systems. My Terrova is showing some age already, so a complete replacement might be an option.

My suggestion would be to bug Rhodan to speed up their testing down there so you guys can get one. They cost $2500 here and I am unsure of what they will charge you guys down there when they are ready. From my fishing guide buddy's tales, it sounds like the GPS Anchor might be far superior to the I-Pilot in terms of accuracy and simplicity. Email them, it might speed them up by putting the pressure on. They responded quickly to my questions.

I guess if you got the money for boat toys, your fishing can get a whole lot easier. I move around a lot when I fish, so one of these toys is a must for me. I hate pullin anchor.

14. snookmaster

snookmaster New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Minn-Kota got back to me with their response:

"The I-Pilot systems will work in the southern hemisphere. They are steered using GPS, so as long as it can get a satellite signal, it will work."

This indicates that it may work in Austrailia???

Deej indicated that a reseller said that the I-Pilot would not work due to coding in the GPS. In any case, it appears that both of the Minn-Kota responses came from salesmen and not techs/engineers. They did not really tell us anything.

Rhodan's reponse discussed the lack of WAAS in Austrailia (less accurate GPS signal) and compass magnetic variation (which they automatically account for). They did indicate that they have a plan for testing their system down your way.

I guess that only time will tell which product(s) make it to (or if they make it to) Austrailia.

15. RhodanGuy

RhodanGuy New Member

Dec 11, 2009

Oops... Australia's magnetic variation/declination is almost zero degrees in far western Aussie land and only 12 degrees on the eastern side.
    Even without WAAS, the Rhodan GPS Anchor system should perform fairly well. We hope to send a unit down-under for on-the-water evaluation soon.

RhodanGuy

16. Hornet

Hornet New Member

May 22, 2009
    I have one and it works fine...

17. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    i would be happy to try it out for you rhodan guy

18. Arn09

Arn09 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Arhahhaaa I was gunna tell him that too!

19. cod adventurer

cod adventurer New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    i pilot

Minnkota in the us also confirmed to me that the us version will have no issues so i took the risk
    Dont hesitate getting the us version it works perfect on my terova
    i can hold about 1-2mtres and only when sat service is low does this vary when i am near a cliff face or really black cloud cover ect this i backed up by my gps report page and by setting the drift alarm on my gps/sounder
    if you have a paypal site go to ebuyersword.com for the best price and service
    just be prepaired to send it stateside for any warrenty issues
    A small gamble considering its half price in the first place
    The problem we have here in Australia in my opinion is of two issues
    1 importers who beleive as they have the import agreament with the manufacturer dont usually hold back
    2 retailers when the old tax system was inplace we incured 50% tax on boating gear and luxury items and things were on average 50% markup on us prices
    when the gst came in these items went up to 65% they should have dropped in price down by 50% and up by 10% instead (in my opinion) as i never ever saw anything ever go down in price the retailers had a ball as johnies watchdog continued to sleep they kept the old tax amount for themselves and then charged johnies gst
    a hundred dollar item should retail here for $110 what we seem to get sluged with is $165
    (unit price + 50%) + 10% = total ripoff for aussie consumers
    a clear example is the i pilot US$399.00 average after shop profit converted to AUS$449.50 add 50% then add another 10% = $741.67 REMARKABLE average best price here after shop profit $750aus
    Tell me i am wrong and i will gladly debate this with you
    In the meantime i will continue to spend aussie dollars stateside for items that are not too bulky to post especially as the dollars good.

20. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    well i bit the bullet and the minister of finance said ok so i ended up getting one of these new toys. I also got a riptide 55lb motor at the same time (as i didnt have an electric) and hooked it all up. everything seems to be working on dry land and it gets its maiden voyage this weekend. was fairly cheap too considering the riptide with co pilot was the same as this all together and now it has auto pilot, co pilot and all the functions of I Pilot. Just wonderiing if anyone else has I Pilot and if they like it at all or any problems