1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

My cod has gone

Discussion in 'Aquarium Discussion' started by dave.c, Mar 25, 2010.

1. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009
    My cod went to a new home the other day because I was after more of a community tank , so today I got myself 3 Archer fish and 2 purple spotted gudgeons.
    Man the Archers are bloody awesome little fish , they have been in the tank only a few hours and they are already shooting moths and other small flying insects and also jumping out of the water to catch some of their prey.I only wish I had some of these guys years ago they are so exciting to watch.
    They share the tank with a few old bristlenose catfish and the next addition will be a few Rainbows.Now that the cod and yabbies are gone it means I can also have some plants growing in there.

Ill take a few pics tomorrow.

2. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    wow i think im gunna convince my stepdad to get some archers if they spit at bugs while in a tank!

3. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    did you have to get them ordered in??

4. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009
    The local fish shop had them in stock , take a look on the youtube at archer fish mate.

5. Dicko

Dicko Stalker

Oct 5, 2009
    Classic stuff Dave !
    And your going Rainbow Trout ??
    That would look cool !
    Dicko ...

6. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    can they survive in freshwater or must they have brackish water?

7. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    if they are the same as the archer fish up here then i would say fresh water.
    i have caught them up to 45cm in billabongs when trolling barra lures.

8. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    HI DAVE
    Had a look at the Archer fish.Unreal man!
    Cheers

9. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    thanks, was hoping they would be fine in fresh. i would love to try billabong fishing!

yer isnt it amazing! i really want to get a few! hopefully i can.

10. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I would say he means native rainbows mate.

The archers are hours of entertainment dave.I had them years ago.If you set your tank up so the its 2/3rds full and have some branches in the top of the tank you can let crickets and spiders and just about any critters crawl all over the until the archers smash them.They are very accurate with their water cannons.