1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

My own Trout flies topic

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Michael, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Ok so before everyone jumps on me .Lets just start this topic with me saying that I am a slow and methodical person who never just jumps straight into anything(with the exception of Fly fishing for Bream).
    So after being stuck at home for a few weeks and watching countless fishing shows from the UK .I am now determined to have a ago at some Trout ,brain washed comes to mind .
    Ok what flies should I have in my fly boxes
    I was given a few years back a fly box with some Irish wet flies
    contains 17 flies in either 12 or 10 sizes
    they are
    Number12's
    Bibio
    Black & Peacock Spider
    Black Pennell
    Dark Olive dun
    Black Gnat
    Coonemara Black
    Greenwell's Spider
    Sooty Olive
    Number10's
    Bumble Claret
    Bumble Olive
    Green Peter
    Dabbler Claret
    Dabbler Olive
    Murrogh
    Golden May
    Gosling

Was told I last week Cricket patterns work in SA.So I managed to buy one. And have been told Mrs Simpson's work well in certain Dams.
    And after watching a show on Fox not about fishing but they managed to bag a wild trout from the otter river in England after missing out on day 1.The host said this little dittie Pheasant tail never Fails.And they caught a small wild brown on a fly tied from Pheasant tail.

So firstly will those wet flies work in SA and what other types should I be buying .Also seen trout egg flies do they work here and what time of the year are they fished.
    Thanks for any help
    Cheers

PS
    I take it Redfin(also natives) will also fall to Trout flies.

2. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    There are a few i recognise on your list.Im no expert on fly fishing.Have been doing it for a long time badly hahahahhahaha.

I dont know if the flies i use here for trout would work down there?Same game i suppose match the hatch.Some i would try get hold of would be,

royal wullf,parachute adams,red tag and some wooly buggers.Plus a number of different nymphs and beetles.This time of year i would go for a yellow winger like a daves hopper or snowy mountain hopper.What ever they are eating i guess.

3. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Nearly forgot, for me the glow bugs or trout eggs come in handy when closer to spawning time while the season is still open.

4. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Thanks Wharf its all a dream at present but its going to happen soon;)

5. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Can I ask when spawning season is ?

6. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    slightly off topic .But struck down yesterday with a cold/flu like bug I managed xmas just.
    And spent a tough time on me :lol:2 hours wading in West lakes with the only Bream interested in my flies the size of my flies!!!
    That made my mind up for me ( and the fact I was drenched in sweat from just standing:goofy:)going to find some trout .
    And as luck would have it i found a pdf from 2004 that shows what streams/creeks/rivers that have been stocked or are still stocked or have self sustaining populations (contrary to what I had read elsewhere on the net).

I will get some Dries as i go along

7. Dicko

Dicko Stalker

Oct 5, 2009
    Try the good old red tag on your travels Michael . They are a good all rounder to search out trout with .Has been working well for me in Tas and told it is good on the mainland aswell. Have a few different sizes handy in whatever you try ,as this can make the difference on most occasions .That has worked for me also .
    Only a beginner on the fly myself so do not recognise many of those fly pattern names . But if they look similar to whats around you should be laugh'n .
    Give em all a good go !
    Dicko ...

8. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cheers dicko i think I'll be sticking to the club dams once I get there :skeptical:Seems I'm back at work while everyone else is still off:D