1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Need a bit of help

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Jul 24, 2018.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    On Sunday I went to the local market and picked up a Jarvis Walker ???? for $10.
    It is 1.4 m long, solid glass, and has a faint name "The Rapid" on it. I think it could be a Mudgee. I rang J W but there files don't go back that far, all they could tell me was it's bloody old. I had a quick look on the net and the only 1.4 m J W rods I could find were the Mudgee and the Stubbie which is still manufactured. It's been a good week I also picked up 3 old center pin reels on Ebay for $25 + postage, another made (4") by Millard Bros in the UK, a 4.5" Steelite and a 3" Alpha. Looking at the butt and the reel seat, it may not be as old as I think. But it fits in well with my 19 old reels. Lyn keeps telling me no more. BUT

20180724_105726.jpg 20180724_105839.jpg

20180724_105900.jpg
    20180724_105951.jpg

Madfisher, Rod Bender and creekboy like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi,Kev. The wooden butt is very old looking and the runner is not of JW quality. I have had old JW rods like Erskine etc back in the late 50s and all had cork butts and quality runners nothing like that. Sorry , cant help more than that. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank's Lyall, many moons ago I saw a J W Little Jim and it had the same type of runners. Not much on the net to identify it. Spose it's just an old rod

creekboy likes this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I sent a link to my mate to check it out. He said he has a couple in his shed...and as far as he knows, it is called 'The Rapid'. He thinks it may date back to the early 60's but he also says there is not much info on Australian rods. As mentioned by Lyall, Pete said they appear to be cheaply made by the guides.

The reel you wrote about, it may be Milwards and not Millards as you wrote. Last but not least, he thinks the rod may be a two piece which pulls apart above the handle.
    cheers
    Jim

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank's Jim the rod is two piece,and it does pull apart at the handle. That explains the guides not lining up with the reel seat. Bloody hard to get apart, so I will clean it up before I put it back together.
    And I think your on the ball again, the reels having no names visible, have a very strong resemblance to the vintage Milward GYREX. Thank's heaps for the info.

creekboy and DeeBeeKay like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Not me...my mate! If you ever have the odd question let me know and with a few days wait I can likely get an answer. I don't think my mate is into social media too much so I am not going to try and get him on here.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Is it just me or am I really that good?!!!!!!

creekboy and kev209 like this.