1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Need some help

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Nov 6, 2017.

1. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Can anyone identify this reel for me. I picked it up on Ebay for $1 it looks like it's had a hard life. I love collecting this type of gear with cracks and a bit missing here and there and wonder how much was paid for it new, and how many fish were caught with it. I believe old gear like this should be preserved. To some it's junk to me it's history.
    EDITED: It could be a vintage Gyrex made in the UK

DSCF0404.JPG DSCF0405.JPG DSCF0406.JPG DSCF0407.JPG

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Good pickup for a $1 Kev:cool: Sorry, cant help with a name as i call all of those type of reels alvey's.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Def looks like a Gyrex Kev there are a few on google images with some very similar features- the W backing plate and the diamond embossing near the line guide/plate appears to be very much the same as the Gyrex

4. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    That's what i've been going by, but I am unable to find one with the heavy metal W. I don't know if they used the metal W on the first models or were they just bakelite.

creekboy and diesel like this.
  5. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Just a thought, but that W plate does look to be hand made.Maybe it has been made to replace a broken bakelite piece. Fascinating reel kev:cool:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Your spot on. I just checked the reel over with a magnifying glass and the back of the reel is in 2 pieces. Who ever did the repair knew his stuff a hell of a lot of work went into it. Just cutting out the W or it could be an M as the manifacture was Millards Gyrex. It is definately a fascinating reel. I'd love to know the history of it especially who did the repair it's a top job. These days it would end up in the bin, and replaced by a new one from the nearest Tackle shop. I definately got a bargain for the $1 I paid, just to see the repair.

Edited: Now I have cleaned it up a bit you can clearly see the break. I don't like cleaning them up to much, I like to keep them close to the condition they were in when I got them

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Active Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Hi Kev, I have had very similar reels they were Steelite made in Qld. Great for float fishing off of a bridge letting the line go with the current.
    Wally

8. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Nice find. Good story

9. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    X2. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.